Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm brand new here. I just rescued a gorgeous fawn boxer who's name is Dane! He spent some time with us last week for a few hours and I officially adopted him last night! He has done WONDERFUL. No chewing on stuff he's not supposed to, he came house trained (he's a year and was owner surrendered for attacking their cat) and he's been by my side the whole time giving me cuddles and kisses and all that good stuff! I wanted to see what he'd do if I let him alone for awhile so I stepped out into the garage to smoke. Well, he started barking. I live in a townhome and I'm scared he's going to bother the neighbors. He never (well so far) barks unless he's left alone. He should only be alone from about 1pm-4 or 5pm during the work week. And then of course if we wanna go out and do something.

Has anyone else gotten a dog while living in an apartment/town home/condo? I can never hear anything really from the neighbors, but maybe they're quiet? The one guy next door already is a little irked with us cuz we didn't realize painting was so loud on the other side of the wall so he came knocking at 2AM pretty angry but I don't blame him. Im thinking about just going over there and talking with them and asking if they can hang in there with me for the two week trial period to see if he doesn't calm down a bit.

I have this whole week off of work and I took it off primarily to bond with Dane. Is there anything I can do while they're at work during the day time to help with the barking? It's only when there's no one home though so I dunno if there's anything I really can do. My parents have two labs and she started putting some peanut butter in kongs and giving it to them as she was walking out the door which she swears by so I'm gonna try that...but I hear boxers are really bad with separation anxiety. I really want this to work, I'm already in love with him and he's been so good so far!

Any help?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I would try a kong or something to entertain him while you step out to smoke or what not.  When he barks, and you cater to him, then you are giving in and he is learning that if he barks you will come running.  When we leave, I give Kongs with melted cheese or I freeze some yogurt in them overnight to give in the am.   Its entertaining and gets their mind off you leaving.  

Best thing to do IMO is work on him when people are at work.  Since you have the week off - that sounds like a good time to work on things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know... I try to ignore him for the first few seconds I come back in. But this morning it was just too early and I didn't want the neighbor to come banging on the door for waking him up lol so I just let him come in the garage with me. I think you're right he shouldn't ever be alone while people are sleeping if they're on a normal work schedule so I will just work on him during the daytime.

I'm about to take him on his first walk with me haha wish me luck!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Also play a game.   Have him in the house.  Go outsdie the door.  Wait a couple of minutes.  If he does not bark, then praise heavily and reward.  Keep increaing your time until you can go to the garage and not have to worry about him barking!!!   Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
How old is Dane?  

If the worse he does is bark when you're gone, I would say so far so good.  I am sure in time he will settle down and realize you are coming back.  This is all new to him so you gotta bear with him until he trusts you.  I really can't imagine too many people being home from 1pm to 5 pm, most people are at work.  And even still it's not like he's keeping anyone up.  If he's barking all night long then that's a reasonable gripe.  But again, in time I am sure he will calm down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is almost a year old now. The adoption papers said 11 months. But I know, I can't believe how well he's done *knock on wood*! So yeah I'll just work with him during the daytime. You made a very good point that this is so new to him and he's been passed around a few times, so I'm sure he might have issues with people somewhat. Poor guy.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It'a also a new enviroment for him, keep that in mind..Boxers do have issues with SA, but it sounds to me that Dane is just trying to adjust, as are you...Also try leaving a radio on for him, something calming, mine liked jazz :) Animal Planet is good too...

Oh, welcome to the forum  :) We need some pics of that handsome guy

·
Registered
882 Posts
I understand how you feel about the barking because when I leave Gaby also starts to bark and woo woo after about 5 minutes of being alone...she does stop now eventually and just lays on the couch and goes to sleep until I get back....But like other have said it will just take a bit of time for Dane to get used to you and his new surroundings....I also swear buy the kong and PB, it keeps her busy and entertained....good luck with him, I'm sure he will turn out just fine :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Welcome!  We actually had TWO boxers in a townhome...and it is VERY doable...I COMPLETELY understand the noise issue! When we first got them, if we had to leave, they were in a crate together, which helped...Kongs worked great...we actually set up a kennel in our garage so that if we HAD to be gone longer then a few hours(four or so) we could put them out there and they had a bit more room...it's 7.5 x 13 and 6' high...it helped...and as you said, they weren't alone during hours that people are sleeping...it seemed that once I was gone they stopped barking...and really they didn't even bark much when I left...they barked a great deal when they heard me get home! :)

If you make an effort to get them out for exercise every day...and long walk or running in a park nearby...it makes a big difference and mornings are a good idea since they are calmer when you set them up to leave for work!  They are SUCH great dogs! Enjoy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for giving me a little more hope guys! So I took him on a very short not even 5 minutes walk haha. He is terrible on the leash which is what I expected. He's okay when I take him to potty in the back, but I guess walks will be a lot more work. Of course as soon as I start down the street someone is taking their tiny chiuauaha outside with no leash on so he immediatly darts over there. I have a retractable leash and he nearly got it out of my hands. I caught him though and he came back reluctantly. It didn't help either that it was icy on the streets and I was slip sliding at the same time I was trying to hold him back lol...it was very graceful!

He's just got a nylon collar right now and I've been reading about those martingales and gentle leaders so I'm gonna have to get one of those before I take him out again. : / I can tell he wants to go out and play though but there's no way I can control him well enough on that leash and collar.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Yep...a Martingale is very good! The gentle leaders can prove helpful for walks as a supplement to training...sounds like  you are already having fun! :) He will learn they are VERY smart dogs...very trainable! :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Definitely try either the Martingale or Gentle Leader, that's what I use..Also get rid of the retractable leash, never have liked those, especiallly for training...Lol, I hear ya about the slip sliding, I've taken a few headers when out with mine :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I was like, why did I have to buy one of the most expensive leashes and they SUCK! lol I constantly am switching up the length and I don't think that's the best for him to learn on and it's probably confusing him. I'm gonna go out today once my fiance gets home and get the martingale/gentle leader whichever petsmart reccomends more to me! And a different leash of course.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
For walking I like a 6 ft lead, I also have  4 FT as well...If you go with a Gentle Leader, expect some resistence, mine have fought and bucked like fools for a bit...If you decide to go with a Martingale I would check out Shaka collars. Lori does awesome designs, all the collars are padded for extra comfort..Here's a link to her site

http://www.shakadoghawaii.com/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow those gentle leaders are a lifesaver! Literally! The difference in walking was pretty much night and day. No more pulling and even when he heard other dogs barking he would look but not run after it. Well, can't say he didn't try a few times lol. He definitely did not love it at first - he looked so funny trying to get it off! But really I think that's the best $20 I've ever spent.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Glad it worked well... :) The hope is that eventually you can remove the Gentle Leader and be able to walk without it, but it takes time and practice

·
Registered
648 Posts
[quote="JeanenesBoogerBabies\";p=\"81011":3soannng]

If you make an effort to get them out for exercise every day...and long walk or running in a park nearby...it makes a big difference and mornings are a good idea since they are calmer when you set them up to leave for work!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts