Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Our family is fostering a boxer from our local shelter (central Indiana area). We are a foster to adopt hopefuls. We are also sponsoring "Tucker" throughout his heartworm treatment. We are anticipating adopting this sweet boy after he is healthy again. He appears to be purebred and was probably a pet at some point. He is very well behaved with our children 7 and 2. He is pretty good with the cat as well, although kitty is not yet fond of him. We had a Belgian until this past March so he should do okay. It appears that Tuck may have been abused before he was abandoned. That said, I hope to learn much form all on this forum. I want to thank you all in advance for your guidance on boxer ownership.

David

·
Registered
948 Posts
Welcome and please post pictures of Tucker!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Awwww hes sounds like a good boy!! Im soo proud of you for giving this bpy a chance. If you have any questions ask away!!!!!

Im with Kenya WE NEED PICS!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
He looks adorable and sounds sweet. Good luck and glad you could join us

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi and Welcome!! I am from Indiana as well!! Glad to see he has a good home now!!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i have not dealt with a hw positive dog myself, but good luck with that and please keep us posted. i think it is one of the best things is fostering. When i buy a house i plan on fostering. i cant wait-congrats. Any questions please feel free to jump in and ask. There have been a few rescues here, including my own girl Savannah who was a semi-rescue. We adopted her from a breeder (whom looking back now i believe didnt treat my girl so well since she is scared of anything that moves and jumps and shys away with the lifting of a hand) please keep us posted on tucker and his improvements and also on adoption situation.

·
Registered
780 Posts
What a wonderful thing for you to do!  Takes alot of dedication and sacrifice (would be very hard for me to let them go after foster!) to foster.

When we adopted our Berkeley she had been abused too.  Starved, beaten, choked and moved to three different states all within a year.  She was very afraid of men and any time you went near her with something long (broom, yardstick, etc.) in your hand she would run and try to hide.  She became very attached to me and followed me everywhere, she wouldn't even eat if I left.  It took time and lots of love but she became a wonderful loving dog.  We just made sure that we spent alot of time with her.  We worked on her fear of men by letting my husband give her special treats and by having him gradually get closer to her.   Boxers are very loving and forgiving, they only need to know that you are a friend and will (usually) attach to you quickly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome to the board.  I just adopted a HW positive girl about 3 months ago.  She had been brought back to the kill shelter 2 times and it didnt look good for her.   She is the best dog and loves my kids (8, 5, 20 months)  she also loves my other boxer.  

Im really glad to see you fostering/adopting a rescue boxer, they are the BEST!!

Rachel

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to you and Tucker!  Glad Tucker is getting the good home he deserves.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome and kudos to you for rescuing!  :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Bless you for fostering Tucker!  It takes someone special to take these guys in!  Rescues make the best family buddy.  They are just glad to be in a home where they are loved and cared for.  He will quickly become your best friend.

Sorry to hear about his HW problems and hope that gets resolved soon.  Keep us posted on his progress!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to both of you..As you can probably tell, there are a lot of us on here that have gotten their boxers thru a rescue..I applaud everyone that does...Fostering is something that takes a lot of time, heart, energy & a ton of love & I commend you for that...Tucker is a very handsome young man and we look forward to hearing all about him....I've rescued 2 of my babies and each had issues, but give them time, love and you will see a huge change... :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Tucker is beautiful! Congrats on fostering and possibly adopted that gorgeous boy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:

Tucker was dropped off at the vet today. He has a cough so x-rays were in order along with blood work. Results should be in sometime tomorrow. He will receive his first injection Thursday with a second to follow Friday. Hopefully all goes well and he will come home Friday night. He has only been with us for two nights and he is already missed.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm very sorry but I hope the best for him.. Please let us know how he progresses..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts