Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Angie. I posted a really long message earlier but accidentally deleted it when looking for my Meigs pictures so now I have to start over, lol!!!!

I have a new little guy and have some questions that I haven't found in what I have read so far. You can only read so much, lol!!!

I was a wonderful boxer mom for 10 WONDERFUL years to Sadie who is no longer with us. I am now a new mom again. Meigs is 10 weeks old. He is doing great. I never had to "train" Sadie to do anything she was very smart. However I have TONS of time to work with Meigs. I have heard about clicker training but have never tried it. What do you all suggest? Pros & Cons? I have starting trying to teach him to sit (not getting it yet) doesn't want to pay attention. Is 10 weeks too early? He doesn't walking on the leash unless he is chasing Penny (our min pin) which I know he will get used to that. He has not used the potty in his crate but does have an accident or 2 if unattended (my fault) but I usually don't give him the chance. At what age do they really start to comprehend all the tricks & training methods? Am I jumping the gun with him? I'm all ears for new advice!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome!  There are a lot of experienced people on this forum and I am sure they will be able to answer your questions.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to you both..10 weeks is not too early to start training. Definitely expect that your pup's attention span will be next to nil for a bit..That's natural..Keep working with him, keep it interesting and fun..I found with boxers, mine anyways, that constant repition does not work well..I vary my commands, do a sit, then a come, then a leave it, then start again...Potty training is a slow process, typically you can figure until Meigs is about 6 mos that accidents can happen..

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums! Congratulations on your new pup. I am currently going through the same thing. I am finding that about 5-10 minutes of training and then some play and then some settling down is good. I am also learning that she learns in spurts. One day she will do fantastic and then the next it is like I am starting all over again :roll: But she knows and is doing well with sit, down and come.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Advice from a professional trainer:

10 weeks is not too early.  When one trains a Boxer, you must vary your training commands, experiment to find out what works for your dog, and MAKE IT FUN!!!!!!!!  Boxers get bored VERY easily!  Keep training playful and they will get it.  Shortbursts for a puppy.  When they're as young as yours I use toys to train with.  If you have any questions....feel free to ask...

Liz and Lilly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts