Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had Tia for three months now, and she's been great overall--she's a small white boxer (about 40lbs) that we got from a rescue society.  She's not deaf, by the way...  She's great with humans generally, and very loving at home.  And she never ever barks in the house or at things she sees through the windows.

Here's our problem: the first month that we had her, she was good on walks.  Well, she chased squirrels and cats, but really good with people and pretty good with dogs.  BUT, she's been getting progressively worse.  Now, anytime she sees a dog she goes crazy, jumping, growling and barking.  And when humans come up to her, she's fine, happy until they start walking away--then more crazy jumping, growling and barks.  We just want to understand the behavior so we can start working on improving it.  Is it something we've done, because  she wasn't like this the first month?  I should also mention that she's not even remotely food motivated--we've tried every snack under the sun, and she will just ignore it when there are dogs around.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  

Cairo

·
Registered
412 Posts
Others can give more profesional behavior advice. But, if she isn't food motivated, how about a favorite toy, or object. Training does not alway's need to be food driven.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well, I can tell you what I do with duke.  I make duke sit when we are walking and someone is coming up  to us.  He has to sit and be still and quite.  You might try a halti or corrective collar.  I dont know what you are using.  But since this has happened and has progressive gotten worse, She can probably feel you get tense and nervous and then that energy feeds through her and that is why she starts barking and growling.

·
Registered
28 Posts
IT SEEMS THAT SHE WANTS THAT ATTENTION, I WOULD SUGGEST GETTING THE HELP OF SOMEONE AND THEN HAVE THEM COME AND PET HER AND THEN WALK AWAY AND THEN IF SHE GOES CRAZY THEN KEEP A DISTANCE AND THEN TRY GETTING HER TO SIT OR CALM DOWN AND WHEN SHE DOES HAVE THEM COME BACK AND PLAY WITH HER, KEEP REPEATING UNTILL SHE GETS THE IDEA THAT BEING CALM WILL BRING THEM BACK AND GOING CRAZY RESULTS IN NOTHING. ALSO AS YOU PROGRESS INCREASE  THE AMOUNT OF TIME SHE HAS TO WAIT AND BE PATIENT BEFORE SHE GETS TO PLAY WITH PEOPLE AGAIN, I HOPE IT WORKS...LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES IF YOU TRY IT.
BEST OF LUCK

·
Registered
314 Posts
Try to remember to stay calm and in control.  And just try maybe even making her sit and face away from the person until they pass and then reward her with affection and reassure her that its ok.  BUt dont reward her if she growls or barks.  I dont give duke treats when training only affection and praise when he does the right thing.

G

·
0 Posts
She very well could have had this problem prior to coming home with you.  A lot of dogs take about a month before their true personalities show, most of the rescue dogs that I have owned have taken a while to "come out of their shell."  I agree with the making her sit when someone comes near, and rewarding her with praise and petting and loving when she  behaves.  Another collar to try is the Martingdale or Combo training collar (lupine makes a line of these, with a lifetime warrenty even if it's chewed or if anything else happens to it.)

Here is a link to there site, if anyone in your town sells Lupine brand they can order from the company.  I special ordered mine and they only cost 13 dollars.  http://www.lupinepet.com/dog/med_dog.php   (they are listed as combo collars, they have a loop for training and a loop for normal leash walking)

Good luck with your puppy and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
913 Posts
All I can suggest is quite like the above. Ashley is made to do a sit command when she goes bonkers on walks. I know she hates doing it, but I refuse to have a full grown adult boxer DRAG me down the street. This goes not only for lunging when she see's other dogs or people, but we do a sit when its time to cross a street too..I want her to recognize SHE is not in control..and its actualy starting to work!
I wish you the best of luck..I know it actually hurts my arm when she lunges to the end of her leash. Let us know how things are going! :D

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Good ideas from all.  Emma really hit the nail on the head about it and what to do about it.   I don't think any type of corrective collar is an answer for this.  The lupine martingale collar would be good to use on her though.  She is over stimulated by the dogs she sees.  The sit is a good thing to have her do and have her at a distance she can handle doing a sit and maintaining it.  The barking and general carrying on is "demand" behavior.  She is demanding that she see it and/or demanding that the people don't leave.  Just don't give in to her and also working on teaching her to be calm about things before she gets to say hi to someone or a dog.  This can take a lot of work but that is the best way to handle it.  

How old is she by the way? I'm guessing she's a young dog (under 3 years of age) and this is typical young dog behavior.  

Nano

1 - 8 of 8 Posts