Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got our new puppy 4 weeks ago, he is now 12 weeks . My question is will he stop barking and growling at us when he is playing? My husband wrestles with him and now you pick him up to cuddle and all he does is bite, then jumps back and forth and growls .... Will he grow out of this or do we have potential problems. This is the first boxer we have owned and he is different than the mutts we are use to having around.... A total different breed of pup.. Please help, we are ready to tear his teeth out..lol...  :?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes eventualy he will grow out of it soon he is like a baby you have to show him what is suppose to play with give him his toys and chase him to it, Let me tell you something it is funny but it works: a dog trainer told me when he plays rough do the same noise as he does when he hurts and walk away from him do not play anymore as if you got offended and he'll stop lol and it worked 100% as you you can speak their language. Try it Saigey used to keep looking at me in a funny way  :?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Charlie only growls when we play tug with his rope bone.  He rarely barks and he'll only bark if I instigate him.  I can look at him and say enough and he knows to quit and go about his business.  Maybe try saying no or enough so he learns no to bark for the heck of it.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
you may want to talk to you husband about rough housing right now. I dont usually rough house with puppies while they are still so young since they tend to think all the time is play time. When he does this just set him down and ignore him til he calms down. once he calms down try holding him again. repeat if necessary. He will eventually grow out of it, but to be honest it will be awhile. just be patient with him, he is after all still a baby. good luck and keep us posted. Congrats on the pup and welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I agree with the above. 12 weeks is to young to wrestle I think anyway. We waited with Jessie until she was like 3 months and before that we gave her some toys and we would throw them and she would chase them, but no wrestling. Now she is 4 months and we wrestle with her and she still like to cuddle. When she was younger I would sit on the floor and she would stop what she was doing just to sit on my lap and cuddle with me I miss that. Good Luck

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would leave out the rough housing for now. Your pup is getting mixed signals which isn't good. As most puppies at that age bite and nip, he obviously is having a hard time distinguishing when to stop...My ex used to rough house with Buck & Tia a lot, but we waited til Buck was about 6 mos before starting that..First he needs to learn who is the boss, YOU...Then once that is established you can start the play..Always have a signal tho that tells him when to stop...With me, all I had to do was say"ok guys, that's enuf"..You can use many different things tho, a clap, whatever...The key is whatever you decide, everyone needs to be on the same page, do the same thing...

Good luck and keep us posted on everything

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all your help, its great to know that he will out grow it, he can be so sweet then be so evil.... it is kinda funny.... I am pack leader and what he does with me is different than what he does with my husband. So things will get better with time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts