Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My girlfriend and I are almost throught the roof with our little Chloe.  She is 15 wks old (I know she is still a pup:)), but this house breaking is not getting through to her at all.  We take her out all of the time and she has her times of the day (morning and evening) where you can usually bet that she will go outside.  Otherwise, she has turned out beautiful home into a campground.  The thing that gets us is she knows it is bad to go inside, but still just does it.  My girlfriend is getting pretty upset by all of this since she has a penbrook corgue that has never had one accident in the house since day 1.  So of course it is easy to compare Chloe to the penbrook.  I need some help, so I figured this was about as good as it gets.

Brooks

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
well a boxer is a breed of its own!! :D they are stubborn and hard headed and though they are VERY smart, they dont always show it. 15 weeks is too early to expect alot from your girl. our youngest is 5 months and she still has accidents in the house. She is better and usually only does it when left alone (which is a no-no on my and my boyfriends part) the best advice i can offer is consistancy. Try to take her out at the same times each day. Feed and water at the same times and i dont reccommend free water and food. have scheduled times to give both food and water. Also if you arent already i reccomend kennel/crate training. Once again the only time my youngest will have an accident in her kennel is if i dont take her out by 7a.m. On my days off even though i want to sleep in i will wake up take her out and then go back to bed just to make sure we have no mishaps. Also the paper towles you use to clean it up with place outside to try to get her scent on the spot you want her to go. Make sure to give lots and lots of praise and love and treats. This also helps!! :D good luck and keep us posted. Oh yeah and WELCOME!!! :D please post pics when you can

·
Registered
99 Posts
I know your frustration, our pup is 17 weeks old. Any time he even looks at the back door we go outside. He can make it through the night without accidents, but during the day when he is out of the crate we go outside at least every 30 min. Usually it is more like 20 min., it is a pain in the butt. Thank God for dvr  :D . Anyway consistency is the key, she'll get it. If she is crate trained then any time she is out of the crate somebody needs to keep an eye on her. If she isn't crate trained that would be a good place to start.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
With having a 4 month old....I have to agree with everything everyone else has said.  The other thing is to use a good cleaner to clean the spots up in the house so your pup is not attracted back to the same spot.
Fiona still has accidents too, but I honestly can not remember the last one, so it gets better all the time.  She is crate trained though and I feel that helps so much.

·
Registered
780 Posts
One thing we always do with new puppies is to make sure they know why they are going out.  We always use the word "potty" when we take them out.  With puppies you really have to watch and keep on them to make sure they get out enough and keep them out there until they go.  I know there are times we would take ours out and it seemed like they would never go but if you bring them back in side without them going more than likely they will go on the floor when you bring them back inside.

Taking it out with your other dog would be helpful too because it will help show the puppy what to do.

Our puppies learned the word pretty quickly and whenever we saw them looking around or sniffing we said the word and got them outside, now they come to us and let us know they need to go out.  All we have to do is say potty and Zig will go running to the door.

·
Registered
342 Posts
We have a 6 yo and and a nearly 6 month old.  the accidents are few and far between for the pup now.  I open feed and water ( i would never keep a pup from drinking)  i Let them out all the time and reward tehm when they come back in.  When you take them out don't bring them in if they don't seem like they are going to take care of business. wait it out, when our pup was oyung we would bring him in only to have him pee in the floor.  Good luck

·
Registered
214 Posts
tyson is 15 weeks now. If he is out of his crate, you cannot leave him alone!!!! He will pee anywhere at least every 30 mins. and when he started to get the hang of it the landlord decided to landscape the entire yard. So, now hes confused.....Good luck, it takes time, but hes starting to get it so there is hope!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow!!! What a wonderful start to ending out frustration.  Thank you so much EVERYONE!  Chloe is kennel trained, but the only time she is in the thing is when we are gone.  I think she only had one of two accidents in the thing and that was it.  She HATES doing her business in the kennel.  I will talk to Jeni about putting her on more of a schedule.  I will also throw some pics up soon.  She is so very smart, but leaves it at the back door sometimes if you know what I mean:).  Thanks again and I will keep you all informed.

Brooks

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It does get very frustrating at times, we all know that...Try dealing with housebreaking an 18 mo old!! Consistency I really think is the key..Get a good schedule and stick with it..To be honest, I find it's harder to housebreak a female rather than a male, not sure why...Every good thing she does, praise her to the high heavens, boxers are smart, that's part of the problem, but she will get it...It's unfair to compare dogs, especially different breeds..What works for one, will not work for another. In a way it almost sets a dog up to fail...

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Perhaps, and this is just a thought, is maybe keep her in the kennel when you are there as well. Then take her out every 2 hours (keep an eye on her timing varies obviously) to potty. Once she has gone, outside where you want her to praise her and reward her. Then play/train Chloe for a bit Perfect time to do it, you don't have to worry about her making a mess) and then back into the kennel. And keep repeating.

Someone earlier also mentioned bell training your dog. I have never tried that but it sounds pretty darn good to me to. I am sure someone can tell you how to do this or you can go forum diving! Cheers and good luck with Chloe. Hey by the way, we like pictures here, so lets see them  :wink:

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Hello!  You sound just like I did a few weeks ago.  Lola is 5 months now and it took her up to about 4 months to have no accidents inside.  We would take her outside almost every hour while we were awake and she woke up about once a night whining and we would take her out.  We always used the same door, took her to the same spot and said "go potty"...sounds silly I know, I was always hoping the neighbors weren't listening!  If we caught her doing her business inside we immediately grabbed her and brought her outside...sometimes she finished, sometimes she looked at us like why are we out here?!  Eventually she caught on and now when she has to go she'll run to the door and look at us, or she'll stop what she's doing and get in our face.  It takes awhile, I went through a lot of sleepless nights and paper towels!!  She'll catch on, just be consistant!  Good luck :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts