Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day, my name is Max and we are 3 weeks away from welcome new member to our family. Puppy boxer name Tyson.
I had a rottweiler before, he passed away at the age of 9 and it took me almost 10 years to finally agree to get another dog.
Always loved boxers but this will be my first one. Anything I should know from the start please share. Any/all advice is welcomed!
Thanks in advance
Max P

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
As as Boxer aficionado I think they are the best! They are quite different than a Rottweiler so be prepared! They poop a lot when puppies and need plenty of activity and one on one time when they are babies but I promise you patience and time you will have one of the best dogs. They are sensitive and highly intelligent and just plain fun to be around they dont take life too seriously and easy to groom. I think the biggest mistake people make is inconsistency with training impatience with the puppy and lack of excersise and stimulation of their puppies

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I have used Purina pro plan puppy chicken and rice, Royal Canin boxer puppy is very good too I used that for my latest two. One thing to keep in mind about boxers and it’s pretty common is sensitive stomachs so be careful when changing foods and find out what the breedeer is feeding go from there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Congratulations you now have the Best Dog in the World

Do your reading on Foods Diets and Longevity see if you can get to 16

DO not forget mental health as well as physical health (you and the dog) if you are feeding right your dog should be
High energy and Positive that will be a good thing because it will make You Exercise and stay healthy

I am 55 and it's 30 years of Boxer Ownership for me now
had my heart scanned last year all normal only because of the Dogs

I used to do a 20km runs with hills with my dog but 3-6km is good warm up

The one I have now the Adults Dogs Run is just a Warm up for So I have have to extend my range

Some are Couch Potatoes in Winter but that is ok my older bitch would say no to a run at night in Winter
Watch the soaps with Mum - the old Boy was always up for it at 11.75years and only need vets in the last year.

Think Long Term and preventative and Longevity

Let your Food Be Your Medicine and your Medicine be your Food

they are not really dogs more like owning a Wookie

They speak Wookie - you will see

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Good day, my name is Max and we are 3 weeks away from welcome new member to our family. Puppy boxer name Tyson.
I had a rottweiler before, he passed away at the age of 9 and it took me almost 10 years to finally agree to get another dog.
Always loved boxers but this will be my first one. Anything I should know from the start please share. Any/all advice is welcomed!
Thanks in advance
Max P
I have both a Rottie and Boxer. In some ways they are similar, both need plenty of exercise and mental stimulation being working breeds. Training should start right away. Keep sessions short in the beginning. No more than 1/2 hour. Set rules right away. My personal experience I have found Rottweilers, at least mine, much easier to proof training. Both are extremely intelligent dogs, both pick up training real quick, my boxer's issues when young, were more about him thinking "how much do you really mean the command?" lol They will frustrate you, but try to stay calm, and just keep at it. The effort you put in when they are young will be rewarded 10 fold when they are older.

·
Registered
71 Posts
For the advance Obedience not the Guard Work

they can do anything

The send aways instant downs heeling off lead retrieve over obstacle
Some people train to a pretty high standard

These Dogs track was well

But as pets - the Best

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks in advance
Max P
They are like babies. Need lots of love and a fern hand to make them listen. Couldn’t live with out them. Glad I got my first and only boxer. They are great with children. Hope you have lots of fun with your new puppy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts