Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

We are from Connecticut and 6 weeks ago adopted/rescued a 5.5 month old female brindle boxer. She was spayed a week later and doing wonderful! She is so bright and learned "stay" within 10 minutes. She is perfect with it now, I love showing off her skills! She can also do "sit," "stay," "down," "paw" and "pretty" (a begging position, sitting on her back haunches with her paws up....sooo very cute). She is mostly housebroken at this point with a few regressions after bringing in her new companion this past weekend...Brady. He's a year old rescue male cocker, neutered. Adorable and just as loving, needs a little training as I dont think he was ever trained before. But we will get there! He's trying!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!! Kudos to you for rescuing.  :D  Can't wait to hear more stories and see some pictures!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Welcome!  It is amazing the amount of games they can play with you and how fast they can pick them up  :lol:   We play all types of games with ours.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :D
I had a cocker spaniel growing up.  Sweet dogs, but not the brightest bulb in the box.
Good luck!
Zhanna

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum & congrats on rescuing...I've rescued 2 so far...YOu definitely got your hands full there..Feel free to jump in, ask away & someone should be able to answer....

We are not like Boxer world!!!! Lol, had to say that....Oh yes, we do demand pictures tho...Love those pictures

·
Registered
21 Posts
welcome, I am new as well - hope you enjoy your new babies and yes pictures are a must! Also, would love to know how you taught "pretty"?
Tips please!

Linda

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
baileysmom\";p=\"2704 said:
welcome, I am new as well - hope you enjoy your new babies and yes pictures are a must! Also, would love to know how you taught "pretty"?
Tips please!

Linda
im glad someone asked... LOL

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your welcomes...It is nice to know I can ask a question and not get banned! ha!

"Pretty" was actually pretty easy. The cocker I grew up with did it and I wasn't sure Abby, as a boxer, would have the balance for it as she doesn't have the wide rear that the cockers have! hahaha! But she loves it now!   I started by teaching "paw" so she understood picking up one paw. Then when she sat, I would put a treat right above her nose so that she had to stretch upwards for it. She kept giving me "paw" because she didn't understand, so I just lifted her other paw to show her. Eventually I just had to offer her a little support while she found balance. I did this by putting my hand on her chest as she stretched upwards and she would "hug" my hand to hold herself up. Yes, cheating basically but one day she tried it on her own (and almost fell over) and a couple days later she was doing it all by herself! My husband was shocked, he thought this one was a lost cause!!! She looks so proud of herself when she does it now! (Or just thrilled to hear me gushing over her...  :D Now, if we can just catch Brady up on this stuff, we're good! He is a little distracted while training but we are getting there very slowly...he's definitely trying!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the way...I willl post some pictures as soon as we get our computer up and running (we recently moved so I only have access to my work computer right now!)

·
Registered
25 Posts
:D welcome from  northern ireland enjoy the forum its great asnd very helpful and friendly post some pics in gallery pleaze

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome.  I would definitely like to see Abby in her "pretty" position.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts