Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am new to this site, and am amazed at the wealth of information that I have found. I do have a few questions for you concerning our Boxer puppy. We rescued a 2 day old puppy, and he turned 2 weeks today. He is doing well, and our Vet has been wonderful through this process. The reason we have him so young is his mother belonged to a backyard breeder, and saw her Boxer as a cash cow. She wasn't given the appropriate care and did not survive having her litter of 11. So, here we are playing mother to this wonderful little puppy that has totally won my heart.

I wanted to know if anyone out here has this experience or one similar. I've made arrangements for his socialization; we have two older dogs, one of which will be a good match. We also have a wonderul neighborhood playgroup of dogs from terriors to beagles to labs, so he'll have his share to play with. It's a great situation for the dogs, and they all get along really well. His physical needs are being met; in fact, he's seen the vet 3 times this week and is going weekly until his 6 week check-up. We have a great relationship with this vet, due to a dog with diabetes and a recent cancer diagnosis.

Sorry for all the information, the only thing I really need to know is if anyone can give me some suggestions on our puppy and the best way to ensure he is happy, healthy, and socialized.

THANKS

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Ahh that poor boxer mommy! The best person for this IMO is sharon. She should be able to go give some great advice.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums....I am sure there is someone on here who has had to bottle feed a boxer puppy!!!!!  It sounds like you are on the right track and thanks for saving him!!!!!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Welcome to BF!
I'm sorry about the situation your puppy was in, but its good to see he found a loving home :)
Is it possible for him to play with any of his siblings? puppies his own age would be great right now.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
oh poor little guy,... .  .. that is so great you took care of him.What happened to his siblings?Hope they are all OK!That is upsetting story.Some people should not be aloud around animals!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
So sorry to hear about his mommy...were there other siblings?? Is that BYB still operating??  Just wondered...poor little guy...sounds like he is in good hands, though...you have your work cut out for you, huh? Blessings for giving him a loving home...

ps we LOVE Pics! :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Oh you have a full time job with that little guy for now.  Thanks for taking him in.  You will have a really good bond with him due to the intense care you are giving him now. I had to hand raise a litter of my pups and the one I kept had a really special bond with me.  He will be a wonderful dog.  Puppy playdates would be good for him, but for now if you have an older dog that is a good match for him I would think you could introduce him to the pup slowly.

Nano

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum and kudos for resuing and nuturing that little one....It would be great at that age if he had a sibling to play with, but if not, perhaps one of your dogs will step in as a surrogate mom & sibling...A lot of times older dogs will adopt that role, Samson does that, but never with any puppies that young..Sounds like you are on top of everything and have a great vet, which is awesome..we would love to see pics of the little one as and watch him grow....What's his weight now at 2 wks?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum, so glad you were willing and able to give him a home.  Would love to see some pics.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
is there anyway to find out where any of his siblings are? they would be a huge help to eaachother..if not ..you are still doing a wonderful things and i think itll be fine..sounds like you are doing everything right...and i applaud you on taking this on...what a wonderful thing !

pics pics ? :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts