Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned dogs all my life. Usually multiple dogs at once. We never had a Boxer before but got a 1 year old MALE from a rescue shelter 2 months ago. So we are trying to figure Boxer temperament out. He's a great dog. He LOVES people. We also have a 9 year old FEMALE Visla mix and a 6 year old MALE Chihuahua/Terrier mix. They all have gotten along for the 2 months. They now even play together a lot. There was one time the Boxer was chewing a toy with a treat I put in it. Out of my sight, the other male must have gotten too close. My Boxer attacked the male and had a hold of his neck to the point of bleeding. Everything was fine until this past weekend when a friend brought their MALE Golden Retriever over and my Boxer absolutely attacked him. It was scary. But in hindsight I think we went too fast. Anyway, we are leaving on vacation for a week and are boarding our 3 dogs TOGETHER. We have always done this. However, now I'm starting to worry that the Boxer will attack my little male. They are fine with each other 99% of the time. I'm just worried what may happen when not supervised. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Yes you should be worried! Right now it sounds like ... you are passing issues you need "to address" unto some else without there understanding of potential issues!

Two dogs are a pair ... three dogs are a Pack! That means something! It took me a trip to the ER for the first stitches in my life ever to figure that one out ... ie breaking up a dog fight!

But you know ... this is simpler. :
Leerburg | Introducing a New Dog into a Home with Other Dogs

So now you know, I'd either "cancel my vacation plans" and start to work on this or separate the Boxer from the others and make some changes at home, when you get the dogs back! Otherwise most likely you can "expect" to get a call for a "issue" while you on vacation!

And while I don't know ... I'm gonna guess, that the first link here ... : German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New Dog, Very Challenging is something you have not done???

Sigh ... no one does and that would include me! Live and learn ... as they say. :)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I'd have the staff from the Rescue come over to your house. Was it a Boxer Rescue? One of the incidents involved a treat. The other was an unfamiliar dog. Your dog has only been in your home for two months, an experienced trainer can probably help.

Is your Boxer reacting out of fear? That should be identified right off the bat, and dealt with. If that escalates, the dog may continue to act out. At a year old, that would be a shame. Maybe he'd do better in a home with just one pet. It would be hard to return him, but the Rescue could look elsewhere. A Boxer can jump on top of a dog to try to down them. They make a horrible noise, and won't let them up.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Yep I would board him separately not fair to the place boring them if a issue arises. No treats on the floor together and get a trainer to come in . Year old dogs are teenagers and are testing best to nip it in the bud.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is a rescue dog and lived with 3 other dogs for a couple months at a foster home before we adopted him.
He has not been acting out in fear, I can tell you that. He seems very normal. Not skiddish in any way. He’s been fine with my other two dogs except that ONE time I gave him a toy with a treat in it. I think my little male got a little too close to him. Which in all reality I can see why he acted out as he did. They have since played well together. All 3 of them. But overall I think they have figured out who is the leader (the small male).
As for the unfamiliar dog incident, I did the #1 absolute worst mistake and let the unfamiliar dog into our yard. I thought they had met before but it turns out they didn’t. I am so upset at myself for doing that! Just careless on my part.

So that was 2 instances that have me a little concerned now because I have never had a Boxer.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
So that was 2 instances that have me a little concerned now because I have never had a Boxer.
LOL ... well welcome aboard the I've never had a (Insert Breed Here) before train.

Been there done that ... "got the stitches" (breaking up pack fights between my GSD and American Band Dawg (no Boxer involvement for the record.) But I learned stuff and it in the long wrong ... it worked out Great! But I did it the hard way at first and from there once I stopped fighting with my Dog and started to "Out Think Him" ... that went a lot better! :)

And by and large people having issues with "Pack Dynamics" always make the same mistakes.

1) Too much freedom
2) Lack of Structure
3) No limitations (for the dog)

All issues ... start at home, and how the dog lives with you, a trainer does not live with the dog ... you do. Changes need to be made at home a "proper trainer" one that deals with dogs with "Aggression Issues" will tell you that. And by and large that is gonna be a "Pit or a GSD guy." :)

But you know baby step, and right now with the Vacation and stuff, your putting more pressure on yourself??? Clearly plan A, having them all Kennel together is not a great plan??? A viable plan B, would be to keep the Boxer separate from the other two and work on the "issues" when you return.

You did not say where you got him from??? Or I missed it??? But if he came from a legit Boxer Rescue ... they will take him back, if that is your choice?? If that is no go ... then you'll need to up your game. You did not sign on to become a "Dog Trainer" but ... that's where you are.

At any rate for ... things to consider, when you get back have a look here. :
http://www.boxerforums.com/welcome-boxer-forums/203290-very-strong-desire-learn-how-teach-my-boxer-girl-not-attack-my-pom-girl.html

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Boxers are guard dogs, and the Boxers I've had have always "kicked up a fuss" if I've got somebody at the door, or coming to the gate in my fenced yard. A young male probably doesn't have his brain working logically yet, but his strong instinct to protect his pack probably has. I'd get some super high -level treats, and get him out and about to socialize him. You don't know if he's had much of that. I would walk him in parks, near schools, near noisy traffic, through a car wash, in and out of the vet's office, and for numerous field trips as often as possible. It will be like money in the bank if socialization was not part of his background.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to first thank all of you for your input. I really appreciate it!

He (Charley) came from a reputable rescue shelter. And heavens no, we don't want to give him back! He's a great dog. Very loving and playful. My wife tells me that he is closer to 2 years old. At least that is what the vet said.
I'm just worried what will happen when he is not supervised 24-7 like he is now. Those 2 unfortunate incidents (both my fault) just gave me cause for concern. Nothing else does because 99.9% of the interaction between the 3 dogs are very normal for the 2 months we have had him.

We are going to see if there is extra kennel space to separate them for piece of mind. If not, still feeling a little concerned, hate to ask......but would a muzzle during night hours at the kennel be appropriate?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Is there a chance one of the rescue foster homes could take him for a week. I wouldn't muzzle, and I don't think they kennel would do that. Do you have a crate they'd let you bring for the Chi? We always arrange for outdoor time when we board. It wears the dogs out to be able to run around. Have fun on your vacation. Leaving dogs is always so hard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, so the kennel luckily has another opening! WOOHOOOO!
They are going to put Charlie in the neighboring run from my other 2 for the week so they will at least be able to see each other. Such a relief. :clap:
There probably wouldn't have been an issue but you never know. Especially when they've only been together for 2 months.

Thanks all for the advice and the great links. I have a lot of reading to do on vacation! :dance:

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
OK, so the kennel luckily has another opening! WOOHOOOO!

Strange dog coming into yard i understand, he wa protecting his territory. I understand the treat thing too..I have 4 dogs i the house.. They pretty much know their pecking order, there are growls here and there especially my old chihuahua..he things he rules but I do keep him separate for the most part he is 15 now and two the other dogs are big, one boxer one st, poo pup. and my terrier is good with all of them she is a alpha female holds her own but does;t instigate. I'm sure it will all work out as time goes on. I would separate them for the boarding as no one supervises our dogs as ourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny, so you know the Chihuahua/Boxer interaction too! Chihuahua's are definitely an Alpha breed. They all have that little dog syndrome and think they can take any dog. UGH

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Hmm well I thought I posted another response?? But it did not show up?? Oh well I did mention contacting the Kennel and it seems you've done that so all is good there it would seem. :)

Funny, so you know the Chihuahua/Boxer interaction too! Chihuahua's are definitely an Alpha breed. They all have that little dog syndrome and think they can take any dog. UGH
This ... maybe a problem???

The best advise is always to have well trained dogs (free of behavioral issues) before adding another dog! That much I got right, and that was good because our new house mate (Over Size Working line GSD) with a pack and People issues ... was a full time job. You may have two dogs that need to be addressed not just one??? :crazyeye:

At any rate "solutions" may not be as insurmountable as you may think??? And just depending on "luck" does not change a dog's mind set??? The muzzle comes to mind. Dogs need, Structure, Rules and limitations those help them, "To make Good Choices." Some dogs do well with loose structure and some dogs not so much???

But take a look at my links, it may not be as hard as you imagine to bring about changes ... when you get back. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts