Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Matt the newbie here!

So my question is about when i should start to train my puppy Roxy. She's 10 weeks old and i brought her home yesterday. The thing is, treats don't get her attention! She seems to just want to get on my bed and sleep! I know she's new, so i don't want to get discouraged, i'm just wondering if its normal for them to act a little rebellious at first?

Also, she's going to the vet friday, but she seemed to have some kind of weird secretion coming from her lady part after she pee'd this morning. That worried me quite a bit, is this a symptom of something you guys know of?

thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Try an extra yummy treat for potty.  Like cut up some hot dogs or use string cheese cut up into little circles.  Something other than plain old dog treat that make it more rewarding.

As for the leaky cooch, not too sure.   My male has some stuff and does my female from time to time, normally means they gotta go or just went.  When you take her to the vet take in a urine sample with your stool sample.   Always IMO with new pups get EVERYTHING checked out.   Good Luck and congrats on the new addition.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When I first got Spinx he was totally unmotivated by the all natural chicken store bought treats that I got him.  Try something tastier like Hanna mentioned.  Also, sometimes a new pup can act completely different then normal their first few days in their new home.  Ah the days when Spinx actually enjoyed his crate.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Yea as she is still adapting, give her a few days to settle first, but that doesn't mean, she can get away with murder either...We started teaching Flick "sit" the first day, course he also has 2 examples to watch and believe me, that is a huge help...Now we are working on leash training and basic recall, name recognition...Start with one command, then work on that one, use her name all the time, so she will know it and respond..If she isn't real treat motivated, maybe a favorite toy? The squeaky ones sometimes work well...

·
Registered
648 Posts
At 10 weeks they love and need to sleep.  Also what worked well for me was finding that tasty treat but also using a clicker. When they do something you like give a click and treat. They catch on fast....and its fun for them. 5 min. at a time. Spend the time bonding which is very important for your future trainings.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm proud of her, she took the leash immediately! She'll stopp and tug every once in a while, but usually just saying 'c'mon roxy!' is enough to get her little feet a'movin!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts