Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[size=150:2dbgabhx][color=green:2dbgabhx]Hi everyone,

My boxer's name is Royce, he is 4 months old. I got him when he was only 7wks. He's just the cutest little pup ever.
This is my first Boxer... I had a rottweiler up until Nov/2003; his name was Tyson he passed away due to a brain tumour, he lived to the age of 4. I have to say, that was the worst day of my life...I was 18 at the time and had never lost anyone so close to me. I never thought I would ever have another dog. Now at the age of 21 I proudly welcomed my new baby boxer to our family. He

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
First let me say welcome and congrats on your pup. cant wait for the pics!!

Second-i havent encountered a situation like that before, if he is 4 months old then he def shouldhave been healed a long time ago-with no issues or pain.  sorry i couldnt be to much help, but hopefully someone here could assist a little bit better.

good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hi and welcome to Boxer Forums!  :)
Sorry to hear about Tyson. It's so hard when they leave.  :(
Also sorry to hear about Royces' tail being docked too short. I don't have any experience with this, but that sounds very painful. How short is it? What kind of operation can they do?
Can't wait to see pics of your boy.  :)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Poor little guy.  I am of no help on that situation.  Just wanted to say hi and welcome.  I hope someone can give you some advice and he gets better soon.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the baby! I know how it feels to lose a furry loved one. Two years ago, I lost my chihuahua when she was only 7 months old. I didn't think I'd ever be able to get another.. But I soon brought Toby home, my 2y/o bulldog/pitbull mix... Then I got a yorkie a year later and she was stolen from me.. I didn't want to "replace" her (and I'm not) but Toby has never been an only dog (we lived with my bf and his parents untl I got my yorkie).. Ever since my yorkie got stolen he's been so scared of everything and just isn't happy being alone.. So we're bringing home a little girl in 11 days! Please post pictures of your baby! I love pictures!! And it helps me stay under control until my little girl comes home!  :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome!

My boxer, Rocky, had the same problem with his tail for the first week or two after we brought him home at 8 weeks old. His tail was healed over, but it seemed like he had a bit of a scab on the tip of it and managed to knock it off after the second day being home. He'd try and bend enough so he could chew on his nub, so we tried to keep him from doing that as much as we could - as well as putting a little dab of Neosporin on it to keep it from drying out too much. His tail healed over just fine after about a week of doing this, but now it's a bit bald at the very tip of his tail - not sure if the hair will eventually grow back or not :3

·
Registered
616 Posts
RockDogsMum\";p=\"11198 said:
Welcome!

My boxer, Rocky, had the same problem with his tail for the first week or two after we brought him home at 8 weeks old. His tail was healed over, but it seemed like he had a bit of a scab on the tip of it and managed to knock it off after the second day being home. He'd try and bend enough so he could chew on his nub, so we tried to keep him from doing that as much as we could - as well as putting a little dab of Neosporin on it to keep it from drying out too much. His tail healed over just fine after about a week of doing this, but now it's a bit bald at the very tip of his tail - not sure if the hair will eventually grow back or not :3
Hello & welcome!  Our Scout has the same problem as Rocky.  He will get what I call "hot spots" on the tip of his tail.  Usually after rough play with Gunner, if Gunner gets ahold of his tail or if he rubs it on something outside.  Usually a few days of Neoporin works wonders.  I know we will never outgrow this and watch him for signs of it being irritated.

Hope to see pictures and hear all about Royce!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hi and welcome! I'm not heard of that happening before... though it seems like a couple of others have! Sorry for you're loss. I lost my terrier Pepper when I was 13 (she was 15). It's definitely NOT EASY.

Sorry to hear about Royce too! What kind of surgery did they say they could do?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The tail has a little piece of bone that actualy sticks out at the end... The operations consists of pulling the skin over the bone and then stiching it ... I think??

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome!  Hope Royce's little nub gets better without surgery.  Sorry for your loss; I lost my Rascal (Pit Bull) after 15 years and it was terrible.  Took me almost 8 years to be ready for another dog.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to both of you and sorry for the loss of Tyson...I have never heard of that type of surgery myself, but it sounds possible..Heck the things that are done now are amazing...Feel free to ask any questions that you have, there is always someone that has a good answer..And please, don't forget the pics!!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
They actually shave the bone down, and then restitch the tail end up.. My yorkies tail bone actually grew quicker than her skin would allow and it got tight.. She started chewing on it and it went bald.. But the hair grew back in a few months! thankfully everything worked out in the end and she didn't need the surgery..

After my yorkie and being beat by Toby's tail, I don't think I could have another dog with a tail! :p  :wink:

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Odin tries to itch at his tail a lot... I wonder if that has anything to do with it!? It doesn't seem to hurt him though!

·
Registered
159 Posts
we've had a couple of issues with Petey's tail. the end of it (twice now) has developed a little scab on the very tip. but we think it was because he was trying to eat his farts, or catch that little thing on his butt that keeps following him. we put neosporin on it and it's healed up quickly each time. congrats on the new puppy. sorry I'm not of much help for his tail issue. please pet him it's ok for us--Juanita and Rich

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mastray\";p=\"11251 said:
Odin tries to itch at his tail a lot... I wonder if that has anything to do with it!? It doesn't seem to hurt him though!
I see Odin "chase" his tail more then anything... I think Odin is just mental.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I know one or two people who had that operation to cover the end of the tail.  If they're just pulling down a little flap of skin and stitching it in place, it's fairly minor and there won't be a bother on him.  However, if they need to shave the bone down first, as Flutterby suggested, it sounds like it would be a lot more painful for him.  I suppose it all depends on how far the bone sticks out - maybe go back to the vet and ask for clarification?

Once you know which op he needs, then it'll be easier to decide whether you want to go ahead with it.  In the long run, a day or two of discomfort for him might be preferable to a lifetime of problems with his tail as it is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, Royce Either. Every so often he gives it a little nible/lick cause it's itchy but it doesn't bleed anymore... thank god, I felt so bad for the little guy when he'd itch it and cry then it would bleed...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts