Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK ... sigh, the "good news" is I can now better relate to "JQP!" The bad news ...is I did not get my "White Boxer" girl! My "wife" was uh tired of my "crap??" She wanted a "dog now!" Apparently some people consider uh "5 years" a long time ... although "technically" it's only been one since we lost "Rocky." :(

So she "insisted" Saturday Morning (just last week) that I get dressed and we go "somewhere??" Sigh ... to see a dog?? Now she "pretended" like it was "my call" as to yes or no?? But common ... "really???" What she "found from friends" ... was a "Dog" in need!

A "Pit Mix" that was in need of a "new home!" Freaking "Craigslist" "pit mix" one year old and unfixed ... fourth home and we got her for "free!"

The owners got her from her third owner, that could no longer care for her. And they did not know "how to find her a proper home??" Now I would have told them ... work with a rescue and offer to "Foster in Place!" If the dog already has "place to be" ... that takes the "pressure off the rescue" and the the "rescue" can use there resources to list her!

Sigh ... whatever ... we'll take her and I can still do that! Frankly ... that was my plan! But yeah ... that is not gonna happen! Marilyn "pretended" like it was all up to me?? But come on, she's gonna put a (Pit Derivative, thereof) "dog" in need in my face and I'm suppose to say "NO??"

Seriously, come on! So ... "whatever" my plan was "yeah sure whatever" we take her and I go back to "Dog Town Rescue" and we foster! Aw yeah ... that's not gonna happen! Marilyn ... missed our "Struddell" much more than I understood?? And while I was good with my Plan A "foster" ... yeah, that is not gonna happen!!

Pass her on if you will ... "but you will bare the consequences!!" Now "Marilyn" did not say that ... but's it's pretty clear!

So ... forget the "Foster bit" Bella is ours! Sigh ... but the good news ... is well, I'm back where I started! Bella "is" a Boxer/Pit mix ... to a T!" I'll have to get "pic's up."

One year old and I got her right in the middle of "Pig Headed as Crap!!" And the "girl's" are "patience challenging" ... to be kind. :)

But hey ... while I did want a "PB" Boxer ... I suppose I'll settle for good enough with my cross. :)

She seems to have the good and the bad of both breeds (as expected) people are no issue, way more "Dog Reactive" then I would have thought?? But no surprise and she was "claimed to be a "Dog Park" dog??

And most likely ... that is true?? So most likely on walks what I see is "Leash Barrier" aggression?? So ... yeah apparently that is indeed a "thing!" Still, I'll not be taking her to our "Dog Park" acting like this! And when she does go it will be "proofing purposes" but she has a long way to go just now.

We are rolling kinda slow for two weeks! Week one is down, so going into week two!

I have better understanding of "JQP" sees with Cat Dog issues?? I have not done what I was "forced" to do with "Sally" the PB Pit, I rescued and I "had" to "Cat Proof" her in 24 hours!!!

Well few could have done that anyway so it would not have been that helpful?? But with Bella ... I had Crate and she is Crate Trained! :)

But ... and yeah I kinda knew it, she is not a male GSD with attitude! She's a Boxer/Pit and sigh, as I suspected ... I'm a soft touch?? The "Two Week Shut Down" lasted about two hours?? The no "Free Roaming" thing ... yeah that's not happening, and the no dogs on the furniture or in the bed thing?? Yeah that has not happened either??

The first night she did spend in her Crate with me and the Cat's in the Bed Room! And she was "good with that" and I was "miserable!"

"I" could not take it! And not being willing to "Crate her" has forced me to deal with my "Cat" problem ... in most likely a more helpful way to others ... so there is that. :)

And with the Cat's alone ... I'll have to do a thread!! It has been very "interesting" and while she is most certainly not what I (despite what her owners said) a Cat Friendly Dog! If it moves fast ... I'm gonna chase it!! The degree of progress one makes .... depends on the cat??? And I happen to have one of those "Special Cat's!"

I have the three that are restricted to the bed room! But one of them "Fuzzy Wuzzy/FW" yeah it was about one day of "lock Down" for him and now he is out about just like nothing has changed! But he is pretty special as he neither runs or challenges Bella ... "pretty much screw you," I'll do what I want!

Now that is great but yeah most cats are "Not" like that! I've made more progress than I expected?? And while yeah it's not a 24 hour turn around but in about 5 day's ... she has gotten much better but if the "Cat Run's??" It's game on!! I have two that "Will Not Run From Her!"

And now one that does not like her and actually now that the initial shock is over ... "will try and hurt her" ... if he get's the chance!

Now they can be in the same room ...but he (Spike) will actually "stalk her!!" Well that is a "PIA" so in the Master Bedroom he goes! And I can't let him outside because he will run from, "Bella" if he feels the need to outside! And if he runs ... it's Game On!"

She is better with the "Cat's" but ultimately ... until I train her "Place" her "Energy" is just to much for "most" Cat's!

Gotta work on it and yeah as I type ... she is sleeping on the sofa! So yeah, ... so much for "no furniture, and Crate Training?? But hey ...hey's not a Male GSD with attitude so ... I'm pretty sure I can get away with my "modded" quasi Boxer approach?? :)

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Congratulations Chip and really its aways nice to see a pitt/boxer rescued. While you didn't get your white boxer girl, you got your girl and saved her from who knows where she would have ended up and probably with a bunch of puppies that now will not need rescuing. So good job! I am looking forward to pictures. Lots of pictures.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy's! Still working on uh ... lot's of stuff and discovering things?? And of course I once again carry my Walking Stick! And found an undiscovered use for it, to save my dog from herself??? Details to follow. :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Congrats!!
You know we will love to see photos and hear more about the transition / settling in. I'm sure the next few months will be fun for all of you...as she continues to train you....I mean, you train her. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats!!
You know we will love to see photos and hear more about the transition / settling in. I'm sure the next few months will be fun for all of you...as she continues to train you....I mean, you train her. :cheers:
Thanks and sigh ... a lot of truth to the part in bold!

Technically ... we are still in my uh rather, loose, poorly formed "interpretation" of a "two week shut down??"

It should work like this.:
https://stickydogblog.com/2012/10/11/i-just-got-a-rescued-dog-what-do-i-do/

I had the Crate ... this time! And Bella is Crate Trained!! So piece of cake, yeah no "that protocol" lasted about "two hours" ... and it was not a "dog" problem it was a "me" problem???

And that "failure" to follow thru is only equaled by the "Sleeping in the Crate Thing??" That lasted uh ... One Night! And again ... "Bella" was good with the Crate. I was the one that could not sleep! I really did not want her in the Crate. :(

So the sleeping in her Crate bit ... lasted uh ... one night! And I've racked up other "fails" ...

But ... two things I will not tolerate are "Door Bolter's" home or car! And that was a 5 minuet "discussion!" Zero Ground given on that crap! OK ... is the release, word for going through "thresholds" and she is "Clear" on that one! Aside from that sigh, ..."it's typical," Boxer owner stuff. :crazyeye:

But she is not gonna be off leash chasing Bunny's in the open desert ... anytime soon! Well yeah winter anyway, so there is that! And her tiny Boxer feet, as soon as we leave concrete or asphalt ... she gets a "Goat Head" in her foot (tumble way thorns??) Every freaking time???

I had to carry her half block out of one field and back to the main path one time. She was fine with that ... she was more of an apartment dog so it will time so time for her feet to toughen up. Every dog is subject to stepping on them and you have to pull them out but my other dogs it was once in a while, but Bella seems to be a Goat Head, magnet???

Oh well gotta take her out ... we'er going to a more sand filled area this time so "we'll" see how that goes. :)

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations!!!!!
Thanks and yeah she is not the dog I wanted but maybe she is the dog I needed??? When I lost "Rocky" I stopped going for walks, cause you know ... why bother??

But only having the "Cat's" has been a source of vigilance, as she has an "issue" there! If one had no cats ...she'd not be that big a deal. Working on it, and while it is not my 24 hour turn around with would have been "Sally" a PB Pit Bull I rescued, I am still making much more progress ... then I would have thought?? Bella sigh, sleeps in the bed with me and "two of the cat's" w/o issue! But the other two (for good reason) still don't trust her! She has too much "energy" if it moves fast, I'm gonna chase it!!

It's a work in progress but "apparently" if you have the right Cat, it can go faster?? I just happen to have two such cats! And one of them Fuzzy Wuzzy, things nothing has changed in his life! He and Bella get along fine, the others are in the Master Room, for the most part.

I'll have to do a thread later ...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

Technically ... we are still in my uh rather, loose, poorly formed "interpretation" of a "two week shut down??"

I had the Crate ... this time! And Bella is Crate Trained!! So piece of cake, yeah no "that protocol" lasted about "two hours" ... and it was not a "dog" problem it was a "me" problem???

And that "failure" to follow thru is only equaled by the "Sleeping in the Crate Thing??" That lasted uh ... One Night! And again ... "Bella" was good with the Crate. I was the one that could not sleep! I really did not want her in the Crate. :(

So the sleeping in her Crate bit ... lasted uh ... one night! And I've racked up other "fails" ...

But ... two things I will not tolerate are "Door Bolter's" home or car! And that was a 5 minuet "discussion!" Zero Ground given on that crap! OK ... is the release, word for going through "thresholds" and she is "Clear" on that one! Aside from that sigh, ..."it's typical," Boxer owner stuff. :crazyeye:

But she is not gonna be off leash chasing Bunny's in the open desert ... anytime soon! Well yeah winter anyway, so there is that! And her tiny Boxer feet, as soon as we leave concrete or asphalt ... she gets a "Goat Head" in her foot (tumble way thorns??) Every freaking time???

I had to carry her half block out of one field and back to the main path one time. She was fine with that ... she was more of an apartment dog so it will time so time for her feet to toughen up. Every dog is subject to stepping on them and you have to pull them out but my other dogs it was once in a while, but Bella seems to be a Goat Head, magnet???

Oh well gotta take her out ... we'er going to a more sand filled area this time so "we'll" see how that goes. :)
Hey Chip, not going to help with thorns, but I use Musher's Secret and he goes for a bike ride, beach, and walk everyday and his pads are fantastic except the time I think he stepped on glass or something.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Chip, not going to help with thorns, but I use Musher's Secret and he goes for a bike ride, beach, and walk everyday and his pads are fantastic except the time I think he stepped on glass or something.
Thanks for the "reminder" snow is on the way, so Snow Melt and stuff will be on the sidewalks! I do have Struddell's, boot but I'm not eager to enter that battle?? Mostly the "frog walk" thing although in the long run I suppose that's no big deal??

No longer having one of my other "well trained dog's" to help show her the ropes as it were ... is a "severe" disadvantage! :(

She is "Pig Headed" as crap!!! Working with a Dog in rescue for two hours or so on "walking nice" and "living with one" are "apparently" two different things??

In "rescue" day events and such ... I don't care about "recall??" The dog is on a leash, so ... yeah. But for "Bella" right now "recall" is mostly a "in your dreams kinda thing??" She will come charging hard and fast ,to me ... when the mood strikes her! But other than that ... good luck! Bunny chasing in the open desert ... seems a distant dream???

Struddell use to run twice as far as I would walk ... she'd run out, then come back and check in as it were?? Not sure how I accomplished that "exactly" but that is what she did?? Bella ... does not have a clue!

We have made progress on her walking of course (Bella) ... she did like to be in front! She's gotten much, much better! But ... I can't get her to "relax" OK and Go Potty ... mean nothing to her?? She is either under "strict control" or she is not??? There is no "middle ground," OK to relax ob a walk ... is not doing it??

Ah well ... we still have a "week to go" on my seriously bastardized, version of the "Two Week Shut Down." :)

I'm trying hard not to make to many "demands on her??" It is working for the most part, cause by and large ... she is already "Daddy's Dog??" So you know the "Bonding Thing" is solved. :)

I've only had to "roll hard" on her twice! The "threshold thing" and "Down!" And as I always "suspected" ... "Dogs Don't like Down!" But "Down" is necessary in my view! And I felt "compiled" to at least introduce the "concept!" So I rolled hard on that one! And I followed Jeff Gellman for that one. :

Now it went "basically like that" but kinda sorta ... not so much?? It took much more "effort" then I expected?? She is "seriously" pig headed and stubborn and she did not want to do "Down!" So it required a lot of "leash stepping" and I felt ... really, really bad. After 5 minuets or so I called it quits! :(

But ... I did "successfully" introduce the "concept" of "Down!" Now I certainly can't say she will "Down" with distractions at this point?? But she does know what "Down" means. So in the house we do "Downs" randomly and I get compliance! :clap:

But ... no recall, to speak off?? So I'm pondering "KMODT" or sigh ... an "E Collar??" SLL is no help with recall?? And the "Pit" content seems to make her pretty, hard core and resistant to compliance??

Sigh this just in ... I released a Cat from the MB! It's Spike, a true PIA kinda cat ... I've done enough work with Bella ... that Spike is now more than willing to kick her ass .. if required! Of course I don't want that to happen ... so I said "Down" to "Bella. And Bella complied and I let Spike outside! And Bella got up, and of course ... once Spike was outside ... he wanted to come in!!! FREAKING AH CAT!!

So to Bella, it was "Down" again and she complied. I open the door ... pick up Spike and throw his butt back into the MB! Spike is a PIA and he is stalking Bella ... just looking for a fight!!! FW, on the other hand ... is right now by my side as is "Bella!" Zero issues between them!

If one saw that they would "assume" this dog has no issues with cats?? And they would be wrong!! If it moves fast ... "Bella" will chase it! But FW ...is unique among Cat's and his attitude is "Piss Off Dog!" I don't care!

Having a cat like that ... is very useful with Cat v Dog issues ... who knew. :)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Sounds like you got your hands full. lol

The thing I love about the Mushers Secret is it works just as well on the hot sand on the beach in the summer. I use it all year round.

I swore I wouldn't use an e-collar, after the whole 25% recall, I caved and I wish I wouldn't have wasted a year with long lines, etc... Funny thing was I only needed it for a few weeks and I found the vibration worked best with no distractions. Ducks needed some stim. I still put it on him when he is off leash in wide open areas, but I really never use it, its really for a "just in case" moment

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like you got your hands full. lol

The thing I love about the Mushers Secret is it works just as well on the hot sand on the beach in the summer. I use it all year round.

I swore I wouldn't use an e-collar, after the whole 25% recall, I caved and I wish I wouldn't have wasted a year with long lines, etc... Funny thing was I only needed it for a few weeks and I found the vibration worked best with no distractions. Ducks needed some stim. I still put it on him when he is off leash in wide open areas, but I really never use it, its really for a "just in case" moment
Crap ... well that's not much help?? :)

As I am seriously torn?? One of my buddies on GSD forum ... "Lou Castel" this guy: Training | SIRIUS DOG when he was on Germanshepardforum and he got Banned before me.:)

And he used to say the "fastest most humane way to train your dog ... was with the "Proper"

used of an E-Collar!" At the time I found that interesting and I trusted Lou, but at the time ... it was not applicable to me?? As with my ... hand picked, hand raised by me only "puppy's." I was doing just fine! I don't "need" an E-Collar??

But life moves on and things change?? I'm still doing what I do, and I did "train down" ..."manually" as it were ... but "Bella" is now my girl you know and making the "Down" happen that way ... took a toll on me?? :(

I'm just so much better with "male dog's" with "attitude" and preferably "aggression??" That kinda crap ... I roll hard and I know how to deal! But my quasi Boxer and a girl?? I'm kinda sorta struggling ... I got the "Down" done ... but I felt "really bad" at how I had "accomplished it??" :(

And now ... she pretty much has "Zero" recall??? And that is not "Acceptably!"
It's not a problem ... I have ever had??? logic is one thing but "emotion" is quite another?? And I had said in the past ...if I got my "Boxer" and it was a girl ... I did not know if I would "Crate Train her??"

Yeah ... well I got that much right at least and if I have a "Girl" the answer is uh "NO!" Girls and Boy's ... apparently get separate "treatment" with me??? I kinda "suspected as much??" But now I know!

I'm still rolling easy with her and doing just a little bit of the "KMODT" bit with the long line?? A quick change of direction at the end of a "30 foot leash!" And most likely more "Pit" then "Boxer" she does not seem to care (about snatching her to a new direction) ??? :chair:

It is a well established technique and ... it was first used with "Boxers" as it happens?? But it's just to much for me?? And I will grant, that it is early on and I am slow "rolling" as it were but "Bella" does not seem to care??? She is so "Pig Headed" it is difficult to describe?? But I will say that the part I have gotten right already ... does seem to be the "Bond Thing!" She is my "Dog!"
That part took, "another" seven months to accomplish with my GSD ... so there is that. :)

I just really ... don't want to have an "E-Collar," Remote to the "stuff": I have to have to have to walk my dog?? Car key's, ear bu, a leash, phone my wallet ... enough already! A remote collar and it's remote ... it's to much for me???

Oh well ... just "whining" here I suppose??" I'm already getting her to sleep in the bed in the master bedroom, in the bed with me and with two cat's out of four that she has a problem with!! And that is going quite well indeed! :)

So there is that, the rest ... I suppose I'll figure out. :)

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Well I'm guessing she wasn't trained much as far as down or any recall. One step at a time get her good at something and she will see how happy you are, then go to the next step. It may be a bit over whelming within two weeks to know everything you want from her. Its all very new. You got this I know jut relax and she will too.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Exciting Chip! How is her food drive? I'd teach her what "Yes" means. You have a yummy treat, call her name from wherever. She comes to you, and you hand her the treat saying "yes" at the same time. If she doesn't come that's okay too.. Don't call her again. Maybe up the treat. I bet she's a little confused with different owners.

Then when she does well in your command to do a sit, or stay, she'll know the "yes" word means she did what you wanted.

·
Registered
631 Posts

I'm with you on the crates. Our boys have never been in one in our care. That makes me giggle because they have been in them at the vet for various procedures. I remember the vet tech describing how hard it was to get Tundra, our fawn into it once. He's over 80#'s and you know when the stubborn comes out and they say "nope, I'm pushing my front paws out and dropping my back end, and you are going to have to move me on your own if you want me there". We had a few baths go like that at home too....

I'm not judging those who use crates, we had one years ago w/ a different dog and breed, they are just not right for us. We used baby gates & indoor pens for our boys.

Her poor little feet...I'm sure you'll have her toughened up in no time. I'm really happy for you and your wife!

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Exciting Chip! How is her food drive? I'd teach her what "Yes" means. You have a yummy treat, call her name from wherever. She comes to you, and you hand her the treat saying "yes" at the same time. If she doesn't come that's okay too.. Don't call her again. Maybe up the treat. I bet she's a little confused with different owners.

Then when she does well in your command to do a sit, or stay, she'll know the "yes" word means she did what you wanted.
Oh ... I forgot about the "Yes" bit, marker word! I'll have to start doing that thanks!

Sit she already knows, it is "useful" but does not take much in the "way of skill to teach??? When a dog is "confused" as to what to do they will often "Sit" and await further instruction??

"Down" has to be "trained!" She did not know it (and as suspected) did not want to do it! I used the Jeff Gellman bit. Maybe with less "pig headed" dogs ... it goes easier??? It was ... pretty tuff, with Bella! As she flat ... "did not want to do that! I found it "unpleasant to train, that way" but we got it done!

It took about 5 minuets but we got it done! It introduced the "concept of Down to her." And while I certainly don't have "instant" compliance, she now knows what "Down" means. :)

So we now know "Down" but now ... I'm at another cross road?? As I do/did train both "Down and Stay." Sigh ... long on going battle's on the "redundancy" of training both??

As in "theory" once you command "Down!" The dog is not suppose to move until "released??" Now that does make sense, but in the "Real World" ... I can't see that working???

In the "Real World" I expect to encounter "situations" with loose dog's and I plan to deal with them! And when/if I do ... I want my dog to "Stay" behind me and not move! And putting my dog in "Down" under those circumstances ... put's her at a disadvantage??

So currently, she does know "Down" but she does not know "Stay??" I have not introduced the "Concept of Stay" yet.

I'm pondering as it were?? I say "Down" and she will "Stay" for however long she finds "acceptable??" I don't think I find that "Good Enough??" In the "Real on Walks" crap happens! And it's my job to deal with it "if/when" it does?? And "Downing" my dog, does not strike me as a "good idea??" Sooo, most likely, in week two here ... we are gonna start to work on "Stay!!"

And now as recall ... that is what I did with "Struddell" first anyway! Recall ... meant, "Stop doing what I am doing, turn around and return to owner???" Sigh ... to much "thinking!" Stay means Stay, and Down means Down! That stops the forward progress and gives a dog time to "process!"

That worked fine with Struddell, sooo, I think I'm gonna go back to training "Stay/Down and Place!"

And I'll let folks know how that works out! :)

Oh and to answer your first question ... "food and toy" drive seem pretty high! So maybe a "Squeaky Duck, Duck" would be useful on walks?? And of course I've been using a SLL! But ... she is seriously pig headed!! I don't get the "Alligator Rolls" are any craziness like that but while she may walk well enough for most ... she's not good enough for me!

I've actually considered using a "Prong Collar!" But hey ... maybe a squeaky Duck, Duck could get me what I want??? :)

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm with you on the crates. Our boys have never been in one in our care. That makes me giggle because they have been in them at the vet for various procedures. I remember the vet tech describing how hard it was to get Tundra, our fawn into it once. He's over 80#'s and you know when the stubborn comes out and they say "nope, I'm pushing my front paws out and dropping my back end, and you are going to have to move me on your own if you want me there". We had a few baths go like that at home too....

I'm not judging those who use crates, we had one years ago w/ a different dog and breed, they are just not right for us. We used baby gates & indoor pens for our boys.

Her poor little feet...I'm sure you'll have her toughened up in no time. I'm really happy for you and your wife!
Yeah ... the "Crate" thing!" I "suspected" I'd have a problem with it??

I "know" the value of them and how they help to "Establish, Rules/Structure and Discipline! And seriously if one "wanted" to have a "Crate" trained dog and lay down a solid foundation of structure, it could not have not be easier than with my "Bella!"

But sigh ... to much "Boxer" content and I "flushed it all!" I know better, but I "still" flushed it all! :)

And by and large ... the crap I am doing "now" is "exactly" how I wound up in "Deep Crap" with my first GSD??

Having been there done that and got the "stitches" I'd say that what I'm doing "now," would be "exactly" how "Boxer" folks get in trouble with a "GSD" or God forbid a "Mal!" :)

I've pretty much flushed most of the rules regarding Rules/Structure and Discipline ... right down the toilet, my bad?! :crazyeye:

Most likely had she been one of my hand picked puppies out the gate?? I'd see have no issues?? She is goofy and she does luv people! But she is also "Dog Reactive??" The Pit part, I would assume?? I last saw that with my "Band Dawg" (50% APBT/25 % Bull Mastiff and 25% Lab) he had other dog "issues" but we got over it!

Struddell and my first Boxer/Pit ... never had that issue! And the motorcycle charging thing ... WTH??? But we will get over ... I'll ponder options and as I did learn form "Rocky" ... you need to "out think your dog." :)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I do have Struddell's, boot but I'm not eager to enter that battle?? Mostly the "frog walk" thing although in the long run I suppose that's no big deal??
I bought boots for him for how much bike riding we do. Had no issues whats so ever with him accepting them, didn't change his gate, problem was after a couple days I notice he was limping. Check out his paws and there is a long cut on the inside of one of his toes. What was happening was the boot was pushing his one toe inward and the nail started cutting through the one toe. Ugh

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought boots for him for how much bike riding we do. Had no issues whats so ever with him accepting them, didn't change his gate, problem was after a couple days I notice he was limping. Check out his paws and there is a long cut on the inside of one of his toes. What was happening was the boot was pushing his one toe inward and the nail started cutting through the one toe. Ugh
WOW well thanks for the heads up on that one! :)

1 - 20 of 189 Posts