Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

181 - 189 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Thats great Chip, hey we try anything. Now if I have the poodle loosen my yard (fenced) he will come when called except when I have thrown the ball and he then says why?? So now I take two an when he drops one and I'm ready to throw the other I call him to me. He is getting the idea if he comes he gets to play more . I'm working on a way now for when we come back indoors, it like I'm a fun vacuum to him. So coming inside needs to be fun too but I haven't found anything that is more fun than running wild outside fetching a ball. Yesterday I think he leaped 5 ft in the air to catch it on a fly. I'm afraid though he could get hurt as he almost fell one of the times so not quite so high, lol. Too bad this guy isn't food motivated at all. Ive tried meatballs, chicken, fish, so ar its just not the same as a ball.
Hey Linda I trained my golden with nothing but a tennis ball. If your poodle loves that ball, should make training a little easier. You just have to carry the ball around with you. lol

I remember you said there were a few issues with walks, but getting better. Have you tried bringing the ball with you on a walk? Use it as a reward the same way you would use treats. She ignores other dogs, kids, she gets the ball.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
I'm working on a way now for when we come back indoors, it like I'm a fun vacuum to him. So coming inside needs to be fun too but I haven't found anything that is more fun than running wild outside fetching a ball. Yesterday I think he leaped 5 ft in the air to catch it on a fly. I'm afraid though he could get hurt as he almost fell one of the times so not quite so high, lol. Too bad this guy isn't food motivated at all. Ive tried meatballs, chicken, fish, so ar its just not the same as a ball.
Well he certainly sounds like a Ball/Toy motivated dog. So you should certainly work with what you got there. :)

But how big is this back yard?? My guy's have always, gone in and out as they please?? And we don't have a "Doggie, Door," so Bella does kinda abuse that privilege, sigh PIA! But why does he have to come in, I'm just curious. :)

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
But why does he have to come in, I'm just curious
Because I never leave any of my dogs unsupervised. I never have, I guess thats me. Also my rear fence backs up to a "green area" and my fence can only be 4 ft high, he could easily jump that should he get bored out there all alone. Now when I lived on acreage it was different an they all stayed within the property though I still kept an eye out as if they strayed they could easily have gotten shot.
Matt I have not been walking very much, one these old bones have been giving me trouble, and my one neighbor periodically will take the pittbull out front on his property unleashed to do its business. It obeys him well but it scares me and although my guy is better on a leash if he gets startled and leaps ...well you can picture this over weight limping old lady on the ground.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
But why does he have to come in, I'm just curious
Because I never leave any of my dogs unsupervised. I never have, I guess thats me. Also my rear fence backs up to a "green area" and my fence can only be 4 ft high, he could easily jump that should he get bored out there all alone.
OK I thought it might be something like that. And under those conditions, I'd do the same. :)

But yeah four feet is nothing and "something can get in" just as easily, as a dog can get out?? A six foot fence does give an owner a better "sense of security" but for a cable dog??? That is an illusion??

A happy well exercised, well behaved, walked and exercised dog, will stay behind a six foot , because he "chooses to!

Online, I have seen a PPD (an APBT) go up and over a Six Foot Concrete Wall, on command! I was stunned???

I have a hole in my memory somehow?? But I remember rounding up a loose Boxer once and herding him towards home. Somehow I wound up between the Six foot gate and where he wanted to go??

What I do remember clearing is seeing that "Boxer" sail over my head and over a Six Foot Gate, with ease??? And from there over the Six Foot Fence and into the next yard!! So I knock on the other door and when they answer and ... I tell them, "I got your dog back." :)

And they say "Oh, that is not our dog, it's the neighbor's dog and he comes into our yard all the time to play with our dog!"

What I can't recall is if did a hop off a car or a trash can first and then over the gate and me?? Or just cleared the gate from the ground?? But once inside the fence he did get over the Six Foot side fence with ease! I was stunned! :crazyeye:

So yeah a four foot fence would make me pretty uneasy also. :)

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Hmm, I'm just not that good at keeping up to date here! But on the "Dog Park" thing and why I "now" use them "strategically." I got a first hand account from a dog owner "tonight" that I did not expect??? As to why "not going to Dog Park's" is a good idea.

So it's almost pitch dark. And we are starting from the front, in the large fenced off area of our local Dog Park, and working towards the rear most gated off area. And Bella is running ahead and "now" coming back when I call and reward! Oh and she does the "Heel Flip" also, I gotta thank Larry Khon for that one. That would be this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL97X4rs3uwo3PBB7lhgdWu9D77d-TXDYh :)

But at the Park gate, there are three area's and she has learned to wait for me there "when" she get's to a gate first. No problem, she knows where we are going, so she goes to the gate and wait's for me as I trail behind. I did not have my flashlight cuz Marilyn was using it when we left but "whatever." So I am getting to the gate and "planning on going in" when I notice ..."something" in the darkness???

Bella is at the gate, but she seem's strangely motionless?? OK that is a bit odd?? And I as I get closer, I see the darkness "move" and kinda high, so not a dog?? OK well that's odd?? I get closer and realize it's a person???

That was a bit unexpected?? So going in is most likely off?? I get closer and speak to the other owner. So while I observe the dog's, we talk. Cuz I know why I am there now, but what's his deal??? Well unlike myself who knew from actually owning, a past D/A dog first and avoided Dog Park's out the gate, I don't need the hassle and later learned from "Pro's," that (NO DOG PARK's) was a good policy anyway. That guy, had to find out the "Hard Way!"

He told me, his dog was attacked at "that Dog Park" earlier, so he goes there at night, now. So you know, "Dog Park's," being not the best of Idea's is not a "Myth" pursued by the truly anal, just saying. :)

At any rate, we are by the fence with the dog's separated. Still checking each other out?? And Bella is doing great! I'm watching his dog and Bella, and Bella seems fine, but his dog, while still quite, hmm I do notice his ears' are up and his tail is high, actually that is not good??? But maybe?? So he ask what is Bella?? And I say "APBT/Boxer" well he "seems to cope an attitude, when his Dog blows up!! OK then ...

He backs away and tell's me I need to "back off" so she feel's no need to "Protect Me??" Personally I think that's crap but whatever. His dog blew up first! He backed away and I called Bella to me and she came. :)

The only part of that episode, that kinda ticked me off was his dog was some sorta, Herder, GSD cross?? So a pretty high potential to be an A-Hole Dog anyway, in my view, and that is most likely why his dog, got his butt kicked???

Sign ... but still I missed an opportunity?? Since Bella did not respond as I thought?? And escalate the aggression?? I "think" I could have called her off said "Down and Stay" and talked to the guy to arrange a "Pack Walk??"

As now ... he need's help with his dog. And I (Feel) I know how to help and can. But my natural instinct is to "protect my dog!" And just get the heck out of "that" situation!

But now after failing miserable with one on one encounters and talking to owners?? I'm thinking maybe it's time for me to join our local Dog Park and from the inside arrange "Pack Walks??"

That would be a radical change for me, cuz I am sorta a "Lone Wolf Guy." But Bella PIA, that she can be at times ... has already gotten me into a Dog Park already (under controlled conditions granted.) Time will tell if I will do that??? Cuz I can be kinda lazy also. :)

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Chip LOL...how we change our training with different dogs...I think it shows you are a good owner and we do whatever we need to do to get the result we want. Sounds to me like you are getting Bella on your side now. Its taken some work but alway remember where she came from and being a little older she was set in her way. You eem to be doing great with her and changing your methods when need be. I think thats all we can do, they are all different. This poodle has been my most challenging maybe because he is smarter than me, lol and I am getting old.. *note I said getting. Our local rescue recently took in 3 5 month old st poodles, I didn't apply as we are not ready but I do think poodle to poodle playtime would be fun for him, maybe not me.. LOL

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Chip LOL...how we change our training with different dogs...I think it shows you are a good owner and we do whatever we need to do to get the result we want. Sounds to me like you are getting Bella on your side now. Its taken some work but alway remember where she came from and being a little older she was set in her way. You eem to be doing great with her and changing your methods when need be. I think thats all we can do, they are all different. This poodle has been my most challenging maybe because he is smarter than me, lol and I am getting old.. *note I said getting. Our local rescue recently took in 3 5 month old st poodles, I didn't apply as we are not ready but I do think poodle to poodle playtime would be fun for him, maybe not me.. LOL
Well good owner perhaps?? But great trainer ... not so much???

Sigh the more you think you know, the more you have to learn?? And pretty much as "often," is the case sigh I "stumbled onto/into, something ... no one had mentioned??

Carrying and loading "emotional baggage" onto a new dog??? I had no clue, that was a thing?? But sigh ... I did just that?? With "Boxer Breed's," I have had a very hard "introduction!" I lost my first, intro Stewie to the breed, a Boxer/APBT mix in an auto accident that was my fault he was one year old! He was my first dog/puppy that I saved on a walk from 80 lbs of charging ... out of control APBT! That dog, burst out of the screen dog on a walk! He was maybe five months at the time (Stewie) ?? And a friend gave him to me. So he was not my choice, really but whatever ... I'll find him a home??

Well Mr APBT busted out the house at him?? And I swung him (Stewie) out of danger, to face that dog down! No more plan that that. But get by my if you can, Dog!!! The dog paused as he was not expecting to see me?? And that pause gave the owner time to get the dog under control!

Stewie did great, he stayed behindme and at that point ... I knew he was not for "adoption" as he was now my dog! But the accident (that was my fault) turned everything upside down for me! Stewie died and it was fault ... he was "literally to smart and I put him in a situation" ... he was not trained for and he paid for mistake with his life! That pretty much destroyed me! :(

At the time, I tried to find another Boxer/APBT mix?? And no luck, so you know split the mix and Boxer, maybe?? And yep that was it! So my wife found me, Heidi a Brindle Boxer pup. From a local BYB (We had no idea what that was at the time??) Yeah that did not work out so well?? Heidi turned out to be a very expensive puppy She had Parvo?? She went to the vet during the day and I administered, IV's at home in the evenings! She would have been a great dog .. but she was to small and to weak to fight the virus and she died in my arms, we had her for one week. :(

So much for getting over a loss?? Now that was now on top of the Stewie, Loss and it was too much for me! I was incidental diagnosed with "PTSD!"

I pretty much loss about 4 year's of my life on "Drug Therapy!" Fast car's and suicidal ... is not a good combination?? I was on "Clexa" daily for 4 years. I thought it was crap?? But I did not care?? A chemical in balance, in the brain ... it's a thing, apparently?? And it worked to the point where I became afraid not to take it! And dog wise, sigh cuz of "Parvo" we could not now get another puppy for at least a year??

Cuz "Parvo," stay's in the grass for at least a year or you know more?? But as I said ... "Heidi" was smart. And so our property was not contained with the "parvo virus??" She always threw up on newspaper inside and outside she always went to the same part of the yard. She would have been a great dog ... :(

And then came Struddell! I was still damaged at the time, so one year was still to soon?? I was on Celax for four year's because I was afraid ... not to take it! Without it, all I saw was a deep dark well of darkness and despair with Stewie waiting for me at the bottom!

But Struddel helped but even though I worked with her, I thought?? Gunther did all the work?? As I always trained them together?? And it was only one day when we moved to NV in 2003, that I happened to take Struddell alone in the car and I opened the car door and she just "popped out??" That I realized ... "Struddell" did not know crap, WTH??

At that moment, I woke up! I tapered off the drug and started to work on Struddell, alone. As I thought I had trained her but it was always both dog's together and Struddell had been taking her cue's from Gunther?? Her doing that is what "bolting out the car" woke me up!" I was finally able to start tapering, off the drug. And well came to life to again. :)

But yeah I did lose about four years of my life in mourning ... And my "White Boxer Obsession ... yeah that is left over "blow back???" Stewie my first APBT/Boxer mix was a fawn dog and for year's ... I could not look at a Fawn Boxer ... without breaking into tears?? And sigh Heidi was a Brindle, Boxer so yeah ... that was now two color's down?? But I stilled wanted/needed a Boxer in my life?? So you know maybe White?? And yep that did pretty much work for me! :)

But you know, that load of left over baggage, leaves a lot of crap behind ... when your better half ... tries to help, by getting you another a dog, after a few uh year's of "still" whining at my lost of lost of my beloved Struddell, I will add in her defense. So you know she "tried to help?? Hmm well this got long?? And I have not got to my point?? So I'll do a part two as there is a word limit for post. :)

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Ok this will be a lot less wordy! Bella ... there was "nothing with her!" Marilyn was trying to help, me by finding me a dog. While I thought ... I was pretty crystal clear ... that I was looking for a "local" White Boxer Female, to replace my "Struddell!" I pretty much did not care how long it took (three year's at the time) that was my goal!

I wanted to see a puppy first hand and "I" would chose! That seemed pretty simple and clear to me?? But you know "crap happens??" And I got pretty much roped into "Bella??" The fact of the matter is I got roped into Bella! I had zero issue with the APBT/Boxer part?? But Bella was a "She" and not a "He??"

And for me ... that "small part" was an issue?? Marilyn is not as deep into the dog as me. So a female dog is "no big deal??' We get one dog now an another down the road?? No big deal?? But I know and for me ... a female, dog I did not want ... was indeed a big deal!! If Bella would have been a "Bob??" Yeah no big deal. But "Bella was a "she and not he?? And I was well pissed!

Sigh it takes a lot to shake me lose from "preconception's," And I felt "trapped," into taking her?? The original owners (hmm Ok third) wanted to find her a new home at one year old! Intact Brindle, female on Craigslist, being given away for free!!!

Now I don't know for sure ... but looking at her, I'm pretty sure if she was mated with a PB Boxer?? You'd have puppies that looked like Boxer's?? Not my thing but yeah. So yeah ... her owner's had no clue but a free intact APBT/Boxer mix?? Becomes either a "Breeder" for the unscrupulousness or you know a "Bait Dog??" So I was trapped??

Sigh whatever, we will take her, screw it, I'll contact my rescue offer to "foster in place" and find her a home! That was my "unspoken plan!" But you know crap happens??

And on a desert walk, she slipped out of her harness and she was gone ... uh for 24 hour's! Well I kinda thought ... "screw her" problem solved! But Marilyn was "crushed" at the loss of Bella! Sigh ... so off I go a long night in the Parking lot till 3 am in the morning ... involving talking to cop's ... why are you here?? And going down into the creek bed, following uh three Coyotes, with my stick and a handful of rock's ... sigh my dog, my responsibility, if she is in trouble uh being killed??? I still got her back! Most likely not the best of choices but hey ... I roll hard. :)

Well after a few minuet's of searching and stumbling in told darkness ... it was pretty clear ... she was not out there alone in the desert at night??? I returned to the car and went back home. And told Marilyn ... I could not find her ... And Marilyn was of coursed devastated. Sigh long story short .... Bella never spent the night alone, in the cold and dark of the desert, dodging Coyotes??

Naw, she was much smarter and better behave than I realized?? And in only three week/s, I had improved on what she already knew?? So when she ditched the harness and went after the Jack Rabbit! And I lost her?? She went back to the car, I think??Well I was not at the car, so she went into "Dollar General," and followed the first friendly stranger out the door. Said stranger went to her car and opened the door and Bella jumped in. OK then ... and the stranger took her home! She was never out there in the desert alone at night in cold with Coyotes??"
:)

I had done Cat work with her and she was "now," good with cat's but no work with dog's and kid's and said "stranger had all of them! And Bella came back home 24 hours later!

Nope she went home with someone else and played with there dog's, there cat and there kid's! And got a coat out of the deal! Her temporary owner had long haired dog's and thought she might get cold at night in the yard! We got her back the next day at Dollar General. A friend of the owner had her.

And the only thing "Bella" learned from the experience?? Is that running away can be a lot of fun???

Hmm Ok so still alot of background?? And I still, did not get to my original point ... so, I'll try again in the next post. :)

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
LOL ok Chip. I think you will be just fine. I think Bella isn't the dog you necessarily wanted but the dog you got and the dog who needs you. Perhaps she won't be the "well trained" dog you have become accustomed too but she obviously is "your" dog. I think it will work out fine. And if you truly want another to "train" get a male boxer. Forget about the past and concentrate on the future. I think you have a lot to offer a dog. Poodle is doing well. The toy ball works with training, as he matures (poodles are late bloomers) he gets better. I should have socialized him more, my fault being old and poor leg strength and at first being weary that another dog would hurt him. Should have just went ahead but regardless he is totally my dog first. Now I found if I am in the years and he does not have the ball his recall is good. It is good also when I have two, one in his mouth and one in my hand. He will now sit and toss the ball from his mouth toward me so that I will throw the 2nd one. We can do this over and over. He loves being outdoors and does not try to jump the fence. I am prohibited from having a 6 ft fence due to HOA. It is a small green space behind my home leading to a drainage open ditch. So not much back there other then scrub trees and a few pines. I may add a few wood posts this spring and add a runner on top which technically would make it a bit higher. Anxiety/depression or PTSD are no joke and meds can help. Both my daughters suffer from this and it affects their lives in so many different ways. People can also be quite cruel when you don't fit their mold. I am glad for you that you were able to get off meds and are doing well. I think it will all work out with Bella when you relax and accept her for her, just a pal who likes to hang with you and get into a little trouble here and there. Oh and yes parvo stinks and unfortunately most times young pups are lost not something you could have avoided. My poodle is not going to be "mr perfect" dog that you see in ad's but he is basically good and is mine. LOL

181 - 189 of 189 Posts