Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

141 - 160 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Most of my encounters with loose dogs have been during bike rides which can be a a little tricky.

The small yappy dogs I do nothing. Zuke takes care of that. He will stay next to the bike. Stare down the little dog and thats usually enough to make them turn around. He has good nerves so he doesn't give off fear or aggression and little dogs I think don't know how to react to that, so they usually just haul ass when they realize a dog isn't afraid of them.

We had an Akita loose on the one side of the street and I was keeping an eye on it and he/she started to circle behind us. I stopped the bike, kept Zuke on the other side, stood up, faced the dog and in a deep loud voice, told it to go home. The Akita barked once and then took off.

I think a lot of encounters is knowing your dog 1st and reading the approaching dog. Usually keeping your dog slightly behind you and facing the approaching dog will get the other dog to back off.imo

·
Registered
134 Posts
Most of my encounters with loose dogs have been during bike rides which can be a a little tricky.

The small yappy dogs I do nothing. Zuke takes care of that. He will stay next to the bike. Stare down the little dog and thats usually enough to make them turn around. He has good nerves so he doesn't give off fear or aggression and little dogs I think don't know how to react to that, so they usually just haul ass when they realize a dog isn't afraid of them.

We had an Akita loose on the one side of the street and I was keeping an eye on it and he/she started to circle behind us. I stopped the bike, kept Zuke on the other side, stood up, faced the dog and in a deep loud voice, told it to go home. The Akita barked once and then took off.

I think a lot of encounters is knowing your dog 1st and reading the approaching dog. Usually keeping your dog slightly behind you and facing the approaching dog will get the other dog to back off.imo
Thanks Matt.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
883 Posts
I ran into the yappy aggressive Lhasa Apso again yesterday only this time he was on a leash. Unfortunately it was barking and pulling at the leash at us and its owner made no attempt to correct the dog. My male remembered this dog very well and got excited so its back to square one on that particular training he usually passes other dogs pretty well but when this thing attacked him he didn't forget that one for a minute. I try to stagger my walks in different places but it seems the same people keep showing up the same time I do its very annoying I can't wait until it gets a lot colder out that usually thins the people out in the mornings down quite a bit at least we will be able to walk in peace, and I love the cold weather.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I ran into the yappy aggressive Lhasa Apso again yesterday only this time he was on a leash. Unfortunately it was barking and pulling at the leash at us and its owner made no attempt to correct the dog. My male remembered this dog very well and got excited so its back to square one on that particular training he usually passes other dogs pretty well but when this thing attacked him he didn't forget that one for a minute. I try to stagger my walks in different places but it seems the same people keep showing up the same time I do its very annoying I can't wait until it gets a lot colder out that usually thins the people out in the mornings down quite a bit at least we will be able to walk in peace, and I love the cold weather.
Yes. Best time to walk your dog is when it's raining and cold because a lot of owners just won't come out. My dog loves the additional freedom.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Being on a bike would be kinda "tricky??" So I have never done that. But he stays close to you while you ride??? is he on the inside or to the rear?? Is this on surface streets are trails???

Zuke sounds very impressive!

But I have seem some of the little dogs, that won't back down! I had one slip past me once while I was in the drive way working on my car . My dogs were "On The Lawn" that was a thing with "Gunther (Band Dawg), Struddell and Rocky (no Rocky at that time.)

And I heard Yap/Yap/Yap?? WTH, so I go to the lawn to see what the fuss was??? And my heart sinks!! The neighbors POC little dog is five feet from Gunther's face yap his head off!! And Gunther is starting at him "hard" like he is raw meat and Struddell, is right on Gunther's flank staring hard waiting to see what to do!!! I shout "STAY!" To make sure they wouldn't move and get the stupid dog back to where he belongs! That was the luckiest dog in Dayton on that day!

But I don't trust the little miscreants myself. As the only dog (uh not mind) that ever bit me with "intent" was hmm another Chi I turned my back on him
in utter contempt! And the little turd rushed in and got me in the "Ankle!"
Kinda like "How You Like Me Now!" :crazyeye:

But nonetheless, that's very impressive on Zuke's, part! :)

Yep usually that is the way it works, assuming you see them coming first! It would not have worked with "Mad Lab" as he was already to close! But I heard the owners screaming as there dog charged us and that is when I turned around???

Yep yes you have to have a well trained dog (at least on or off leash) first to have any kind of hope of avoiding conflict. If you stop the initial charge, they usually back off?? Course we just had a case where one did not! So every encounter depends on the other dog. But a good defense is the first step to a favorable outcome. Thanks for sharing. :)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Being on a bike would be kinda "tricky??" So I have never done that. But he stays close to you while you ride??? is he on the inside or to the rear?? Is this on surface streets are trails???

Zuke sounds very impressive!

But I have seem some of the little dogs, that won't back down! I had one slip past me once while I was in the drive way working on my car . My dogs were "On The Lawn" that was a thing with "Gunther (Band Dawg), Struddell and Rocky (no Rocky at that time.)

And I heard Yap/Yap/Yap?? WTH, so I go to the lawn to see what the fuss was??? And my heart sinks!! The neighbors POC little dog is five feet from Gunther's face yap his head off!! And Gunther is starting at him "hard" like he is raw meat and Struddell, is right on Gunther's flank staring hard waiting to see what to do!!! I shout "STAY!" To make sure they wouldn't move and get the stupid dog back to where he belongs! That was the luckiest dog in Dayton on that day!

But I don't trust the little miscreants myself. As the only dog (uh not mind) that ever bit me with "intent" was hmm another Chi I turned my back on him
in utter contempt! And the little turd rushed in and got me in the "Ankle!"
Kinda like "How You Like Me Now!" :crazyeye:

But nonetheless, that's very impressive on Zuke's, part! :)

Yep usually that is the way it works, assuming you see them coming first! It would not have worked with "Mad Lab" as he was already to close! But I heard the owners screaming as there dog charged us and that is when I turned around???

Yep yes you have to have a well trained dog (at least on or off leash) first to have any kind of hope of avoiding conflict. If you stop the initial charge, they usually back off?? Course we just had a case where one did not! So every encounter depends on the other dog. But a good defense is the first step to a favorable outcome. Thanks for sharing. :)
Yeah Chip when we bike ride he is usually on the left side just behind me. Surface streets by me, we don't have sidewalks or trails. Pretty much just asphalt and beach. lol

We have been lucky with the little yappers. The one lady was chasing her dog as he was coming towards us and she actually said, he likes to bite other dogs. Well we stood our ground, he stopped barking they sniffed each other and he turned around and went to his owner.

Funny about the chihuahua, its the only dog that ever bit my GF same spot too on the ankle.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah Chip when we bike ride he is usually on the left side just behind me. Surface streets by me, we don't have sidewalks or trails. Pretty much just asphalt and beach. lol

We have been lucky with the little yappers. The one lady was chasing her dog as he was coming towards us and she actually said, he likes to bite other dogs. Well we stood our ground, he stopped barking they sniffed each other and he turned around and went to his owner.

Funny about the chihuahua, its the only dog that ever bit my GF same spot too on the ankle.
"He likes to bite other dogs!" Wow - that's crazy.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Ohhhhhhhhhh! Thanks. Makes much more sense now.

OK this is where I first saw him use the bucket thing!! I've never done that!

I saw the circle thing used by PPD's to protect the owner! The dog runs a tight circle around as you walk forward. So circling with your dog to protect him .. just flips that around! :)

But digging further but I heard this time Larry say "Rear End Awareness??" So I dug further and found all of this!

Service Dog's,Agility Dogs' and Trick Dog's also learn Rear End Awareness, who knew. :)

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #150 (Edited)

Matt, do you know if your guy is at least part Euro???

I ask because from all your post and your description of what he does and you have described, if you were on the Germanshepardforum, folks would swear he was one of there dog's! By contrast with my Struddell, no one was under that illusion!! :clap:

I'd already said that a lot of Pro's use GSD's and Mal's (not as many Mal's cuz you know next to a GSD, they are PIA's) but Tyler Muto for one uses his MAl, in his work! And Pit Bull's ironically enough are used by a few .. .Cesar Millan, comes to mind of course. :)

But I did not say why, but ... you just did! Let me explain, the reason those breeds and (some) of those Dog's are chosen and what your dog displayed ... was "Calming behavior's!"

I first saw it with sigh "Rocky" of course. She wanted to know about Rocky, and I stopped to talk but she had three yapper's behind a fence (A border Collar a Scottish Terrier and a Basset and they went insane when they saw Rocky!! She (the owner) paid them no mind but they were driving me nut's! And Rocky was standing by my side quietly but he started to get excited and started to ... "hobby horse" Wobbler thing, smiling all the time. Not bad behavior but "annoying??" And no need for a hard correction which I could do because of his condition anyway but I wanted it to stop!!

And with advise from the GSD board and one of the pro's, I took the loose end of the leash and popped him on the top of the head! Well he looked up at me like "WTH??" But he stopped the "Hobby-ing."

So at that point "my problem with my dog solved" and that was all I expected ... but as now Rocky stood quietly by my side, he continued to smile at the other dog's. And then very much to my surprise?? The other dog's ... stopped barking, started wagging, there tails and smiled back??? I was stunned! And from that day on they would meet us by the fence happy to see us! :)

Now to be fair, I can't honestly say that Struddell could not have done that also??But I don't know, because I did not really walk her that much as (I thought there was not much need??) As literally anyone could walk her without issue, and she had superb "Open Desert" Bunny Rabbit chasing recall! So you know, why bother walking her??

But when I did neighborhood walk her, she was always on leash, which really made no since, as I did have full control of her?? But I just never trusted her,in an Urban Environment?? I did not know why then but I think I do now?? Cuz your dog has it and that's also why you "trust him Bicycling OFF leash??"

I thought it was a "People Think" but dog's have it also (some at least.) Situational Awareness! You have to "feel" that your dog has some sense of there surrounds before you can trust them off leash!

And with Rocky, ... I could just tell that he was well aware of what was going on around him! Now I will admit that with those large Pointy Ears it was pretty easy to tell where his attention was! But it was awhile before I noticed that also. He just kinda radiated "I know what is going on around me" no additional, input on my part required you just knew, he was aware of his surroundings!

Struddell on the other hand, radiated more Peter Pan, DNA then Situational Awareness, DNA?? She excelled in being "Goofy" and I luv'd her for it! And I could and did train her to do everything I needed and wanted.

And I was well, I suppose much to protective?? I felt a heavy burden of responsibility to protect her from herself also?? As I can't train nor foresee, her making bad choices, that could get her hurt?? I just could not take the chance with her! That's pretty much why in her 8 years of walking when we did ... she was "never attacked!"

And such was "attempted" on Rocky uh 15 times?? And only one dog got by me, ticked me off but I did set him up ... sigh.

OK kinda of a long tangent here. But I did want to say ... that if your are still considering it?? I think you would not only Luv, but would do quite well with a WL GSD!

But you'd have to pick the line of such carefully. It's either the Czech GSD or DDR dog's that was developed to bite women ad children without discrimination, ie Hitler's Dog's! Mostly likely the Czech??

So you know, do your research first! I have no idea what Rocky's lineage was but I'd bet on Czech, regardless we got over it (mostly) although he never did bite a stranger and he did meet many!

And the fact of the matter is, WL GSD's are still doing the Seeing Eye Dog, thing. Although again only a handful of Breeders are producing those particularly capable puppies.

In any case, it seems like in your particular "Boxer" case a WL GSD, would not be as a radical a change in what you expect in a GSD, as my situation was with my Boxer to WL GSD change?? And that is good thing. :)

But hey it is a Boxer Board sooo, all those with "Off Leash Capable" Bicycle Following Boxer's, ...make your selves known!

And since I issued a challenge kinda?? I can say Boxer Mixes qualify also! And since this is "actually a "Bella" thread , I'm gonna say in the Situational Awareness Category?? With Struddell, I was never really sure she was aware of her surroundings?? But with Bella yeah I'm sure ... she does not give a crap bout where she is or me!

She is heading fast, towards being my first E-Collar Trained dog ... just saying. :)

Hm, well that is interesting! So that is at least two bites we have on here. Maybe there are others but those members are to embarrassed to say so. Did she turn her back on him??

And Chi's do seem to be a bunch of A-Holes for the most part. But of course not all of them. There was one (CHI) I so wanted to take out of a hording situation. A clients dog and one of many! She was a tiny long hair and a very sweet dog! They were trying to thin out there horde. But they did have a few very nice dog and one was a Lhasa Apso?? I would have taken him but I did not know he was available at the time?? They took him to the local Kill Shelter! Before I could ask??

He would have hopefully been the lucky one! The others were being Coyote food, one by one apparently. And the little Chi, I wanted ... yeah she did not make it. I had asked to take her and the guy said No, I can't have that one. All of there dogs were unfixed and the male dog's hurt her bad and she passed away. That broke my heart ....

They were clients of mine for my job as a PCA. And I thought, I'd have more time to help the dogs out also??? It was mostly the lady of the house causing the chaos, the dogs were kept outdoors at night in a poorly heated garage.

The first day I showed up, I should have not came back and just called animal control! But I thought I could help the dog's out?? But, I was wrong. Oh well a few weeks, later my client passed also ... I'm pretty sure he was getting the same level of care under her that her dog's were?? :(

·
Registered
134 Posts

I ask because from all your post and your description of what he does and you have describes, if you were on the Germanshepardforum, folks would swear he was one of there dog's! By contrast with my Struddell, no one was under that disillusion!! :clap:

I'd already said that a lot of Pro's use GSD's and Mal's (not as many cuz you know next to a GSD, they are PIA's) but Tyler Muto for one uses his MAl, in his work! And Pit Bull's ironically enough or used by a few ...Cesar Millan, comes to mind of course. :)

But I did not say why, but ... you just did! Let me explain, the reason those breeds and (some) of those Dog's are chosen and what your dog displayed ...

are "Calming behavior's!"

I first saw it with sigh "Rocky" of course. I she wanted to know about Rocky, and I stopped to talk but she had three yapper's behind a fence (A border Collar a Scottish Terrier and a Basset and they went inside!! SHe paid them no mind but they were driving me nut's! And Rocky was standing by my side quietly but he started to get excited and started to ... "hobby horse" Wobbler thing. No bad but "annoying" no need for a hard correction which I could do because of his condition anyway but I wanted it to stop!!

And with advise from the GSD board and one of the pro's I took the loose end of the leash and popped him on the head! Well he looked up at me like "WTH??" But he stopped the "Hobby-ing."

So at that point "my problem with my dog solved" and that was all I expected ... but as now Rocky stood quietly by smile he continued to smile at the other dog's. And then very much to my surprise?? The other dog's ... stopped barking, started wag there tails and smiled back???I was stunned! And from that day on they would meet us by the fence happy to see us! :)

Now to be fair, I can't honestly say that Struddell could not have done that also??But I don't know, because I did not really walk her that much as (I thought there was not much need??) As literally anyone could walk her without issue, and she had superb "Open Desert" Bunny Rabbit recall! So you know, why bother walking her??

But when I did neighborhood walk her, she was always on leash, which really made no leash as I did have full control of her?? But I just never trusted her,in an Urban Environment?? I did not know why then but I think I do now?? Cuz your dog has it and that's also why you "trust him Bicycling OFF leash??"

I thought it was a "People Think" but dog's have it also (some at least.) Situational Awareness! You have to feel that your dog has some sense of there surrounds before you can trust them off leash!

And with Rocky, ... I could just tell that he was well aware of what was going on around him! Now I will admit that with those large Pointy Ears it was pretty easy to tell where his attention was! But it was awhile before I noticed that also. He just kinda radiated "I know what is going on around me "no additional" input on my part required you just knew, he was aware of his surroundings!

Struddell on the other hand, radiated more Peter Pan, DNA then Situational Awareness, DNA?? She excelled in being "Goofy" and I luv'd her for it! And I could and did train her to do everything I needed and wanted.

And I was well, I suppose much to protective?? I felt a heavy burden of responsibility to protect her from herself also. As I can't train nor foresee, her making bad choices, that could get her hurt?? I just could not take the chance

with her! That's pretty much why in her 8 years of walking when we did ... she was "never attacked!"

And such was "attempted" on Rocky uh 15 times?? And only one dog got by me, ticked me off but I did set him up ... sigh.

OK kinda of a long tangent here. But I did want to say ... that if your are still considering it?? I think you would not only Luv but would do quite well with a WL GSD!

But you'd have to pick the line of such carefully. It's either the Czech GSD or DDR dog's that was developed to bite women ad children without discrimination, ie Hitler's Dog's! Mostly likely the Czech??

So you know do your research first! I have no idea what Rocky's lineage was but I'd bet on Czech, regardless we got over it (mostly) although he never did bite a stranger and he did meet many!

And the fact of the matter is, WL GSD's are still doing the Seeing Eye Dog, thing. Although again only a handful of Breeders are producing those particularly capable puppies.

In any case, it seems like in your particular "Boxer" case a WL GSD, would not be as a radical a change in what you expect in a GSD, as my situation was with my Boxer to WL GSD change?? And that is good thing. :)

But hey it is a Boxer Board sooo, all those with "Off Leash Capable" Bicycle Following Boxer's, ...make your selves known!

And since I issued the challenge, I can say Boxer Mixes qualify also! ANd since this is "actually a "Bella" thread , I'm gonna say in the Situational Awareness Category?? With Struddell, I was never really sure she was aware of her surroundings?? But with Bella yeah I'm sure ... she does not give a crap bout where she is or me!

She is heading fast, towards being my first E-Collar Trained dog ...just saying. :)

Hm, well that is interesting! So that is at least two bites we have on here. Maybe there are others but those members are to embarrassed to say so. :)

They do seem to be a bunch of A-Holes for the most part. But of course not all of them. There was one (CHI) I so wanted to take out of a hording situation. A clients dog one of many! She was a tiny long hair and a very sweet dog! hey were trying to thin out there horde. But they did have a few very nice dog and one was a Lhasa Apso?? I would have taken him but I did not know he was available?? They took him to the local Kill Shelter! Before I could ask??

He would have hopefully been the lucky one! The others were being Coyote food, one by one apparently. And the little Chi, I wanted ... yeah she did not make it. I had asked to take her and the guy said No, I can't have that one. All of there dogs were unfixed and the male dog's hurt her bad and she passed away. That broke my heart ....

They were clients of mine for my job as a PCA. And I thought, I'd have more time to help the dogs out also??? It was mostly the lady of the house causing the chaos, the dogs were kept outdoors at night in a poorly heated garage.

The first day I showed up, I should have not came back and just called animal control! But I thought I could help the dog's out?? But, I was wrong. Oh well a few weeks, later my client passed also ... I'm pretty sure he was getting the same level of care under her that her dog's were?? :(
My little one is an off lead mountain bike trail dog. Been doing this from a very young age. She loves stretching her legs, stays very close, with one eye on me at all times.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

I ask because from all your post and your description of what he does and you have described, if you were on the Germanshepardforum, folks would swear he was one of there dog's! By contrast with my Struddell, no one was under that illusion!! :clap:

I'd already said that a lot of Pro's use GSD's and Mal's (not as many Mal's cuz you know next to a GSD, they are PIA's) but Tyler Muto for one uses his MAl, in his work! And Pit Bull's ironically enough are used by a few .. .Cesar Millan, comes to mind of course. :)

But I did not say why, but ... you just did! Let me explain, the reason those breeds and (some) of those Dog's are chosen and what your dog displayed ... was "Calming behavior's!"

I first saw it with sigh "Rocky" of course. She wanted to know about Rocky, and I stopped to talk but she had three yapper's behind a fence (A border Collar a Scottish Terrier and a Basset and they went insane when they saw Rocky!! She (the owner) paid them no mind but they were driving me nut's! And Rocky was standing by my side quietly but he started to get excited and started to ... "hobby horse" Wobbler thing, smiling all the time. Not bad behavior but "annoying??" And no need for a hard correction which I could do because of his condition anyway but I wanted it to stop!!

And with advise from the GSD board and one of the pro's, I took the loose end of the leash and popped him on the top of the head! Well he looked up at me like "WTH??" But he stopped the "Hobby-ing."

So at that point "my problem with my dog solved" and that was all I expected ... but as now Rocky stood quietly by my side, he continued to smile at the other dog's. And then very much to my surprise?? The other dog's ... stopped barking, started wagging, there tails and smiled back??? I was stunned! And from that day on they would meet us by the fence happy to see us! :)

Now to be fair, I can't honestly say that Struddell could not have done that also??But I don't know, because I did not really walk her that much as (I thought there was not much need??) As literally anyone could walk her without issue, and she had superb "Open Desert" Bunny Rabbit chasing recall! So you know, why bother walking her??

But when I did neighborhood walk her, she was always on leash, which really made no since, as I did have full control of her?? But I just never trusted her,in an Urban Environment?? I did not know why then but I think I do now?? Cuz your dog has it and that's also why you "trust him Bicycling OFF leash??"

I thought it was a "People Think" but dog's have it also (some at least.) Situational Awareness! You have to "feel" that your dog has some sense of there surrounds before you can trust them off leash!

And with Rocky, ... I could just tell that he was well aware of what was going on around him! Now I will admit that with those large Pointy Ears it was pretty easy to tell where his attention was! But it was awhile before I noticed that also. He just kinda radiated "I know what is going on around me" no additional, input on my part required you just knew, he was aware of his surroundings!

And I was well, I suppose much to protective?? I felt a heavy burden of responsibility to protect her from herself also?? As I can't train nor foresee, her making bad choices, that could get her hurt?? I just could not take the chance with her! That's pretty much why in her 8 years of walking when we did ... she was "never attacked!"

OK kinda of a long tangent here. But I did want to say ... that if your are still considering it?? I think you would not only Luv, but would do quite well with a WL GSD!

So you know, do your research first! I have no idea what Rocky's lineage was but I'd bet on Czech, regardless we got over it (mostly) although he never did bite a stranger and he did meet many!

And since I issued a challenge kinda?? I can say Boxer Mixes qualify also! And since this is "actually a "Bella" thread , I'm gonna say in the Situational Awareness Category?? With Struddell, I was never really sure she was aware of her surroundings?? But with Bella yeah I'm sure ... she does not give a crap bout where she is or me!

She is heading fast, towards being my first E-Collar Trained dog ... just saying. :)

Hm, well that is interesting! So that is at least two bites we have on here. Maybe there are others but those members are to embarrassed to say so. Did she turn her back on him??

And Chi's do seem to be a bunch of A-Holes for the most part. But of course not all of them. There was one (CHI) I so wanted to take out of a hording situation. A clients dog and one of many! She was a tiny long hair and a very sweet dog! They were trying to thin out there horde. But they did have a few very nice dog and one was a Lhasa Apso?? I would have taken him but I did not know he was available at the time?? They took him to the local Kill Shelter! Before I could ask??

We think he is because his skull is so much bigger than most of the boxers we meet. Probably a mix of the 2 blood lines if I had to guess. I will say he isn't perfect with every dog, but he seems to be really good around smaller yappy ones, where as my gf's rottie is the complete opposite. Great with big dogs but don't put a little dog in front of her.

I would definitely recommend the e-collar as long as you are familiar with it and how to set the stim. I used it for one issue "recall" and it was amazing. Within a week or two I pretty much had full recall.

My gf got attacked by the chihuahua from the front. Nasty lit dog this one was. It was her neighbors

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
My little one is an off lead mountain bike trail dog. Been doing this from a very young age. She loves stretching her legs, stays very close, with one eye on me at all times.

Great pic. Does the rain bother her? My guy gets depressed when I take him if its raining.lol Ears back, head down and a look thats saying " Why can't we just stay inside where its dry?"

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #154

Well that is very impressive! But I'm not sure the Euro's count??

As paying attention to there owner is "kinda what they do!" :)

IPO/LE/PPD if you want to use a Boxer. The Euro's are the go to do Boxer even to this day! Although the LE Boxer's do see to be only in the Mid West thus far??

I only knew of "one" American Line Boxer that did the LE thing. And when I followed the trail. I found out that dog had retired after 10 years of LE duty. And I have never seen another such that was about 12 years ago now.

But I think what allows you guy's to do that is you can "tell" that your dog is also aware of her surroundings. I luv'd my Struddell to death with out a doubt but I never had any idea "WTH" she was thinking at any given moment??

I could train her to do anything I wanted but I was just never sure she any kind of well "common sense??" I never felt that with Rocky (WL GSD.)

But hey I will grant that maybe it was me?? As I was well if I were a dog the term would be "Overly Protective." :)

But hey someone needs to show up with a full American Line Boxer that does the Bicycle thing and I'll be convinced that it can be done with one of them ... also. :)

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #156 (Edited)
We think he is because his skull is so much bigger than most of the boxers we meet. Probably a mix of the 2 blood lines if I had to guess. I will say he isn't perfect with every dog, but he seems to be really good around smaller yappy ones, where as my gf's rottie is the complete opposite. Great with big dogs but don't put a little dog in front of her.

I would definitely recommend the e-collar as long as you are familiar with it and how to set the stim. I used it for one issue "recall" and it was amazing. Within a week or two I pretty much had full recall.

My gf got attacked by the chihuahua from the front. Nasty lit dog this one was. It was her neighbors
He came at her from the front!!! Holly Crap!!! That is dog that will hurt someone bad sooner or later!!

On the E-Collar ... OK thanks! Recall is exactly my biggest issue! Cuz right now ... I got None!! Ticks me off!! This is the first time I have ever experienced this with one of my dogs??? Not starting with a puppy has made a huge difference for me ... apparently???

Well I will have to learn how to use one properly first of course. Fortunately I don't have to be hypocrite! As was never anti E-Collar, I just never needed one until now ... apparently. :)

Ok so you think he is a Euro/America? That is what he looks like to me. Our friends in VA City have one also. And his behavior with stranger's, was a bit different then Struddell's was. As in at least slightly "Aloof" ie uh I don't know do I??? But after that if he did know you all was good! :)

By contrast my Struddell and "Aloof??" She did not have a clue what that word meant?? Literally everyone was just a best friend she never met. :)

And you know by and large she was right! The only time she ever did anything unexpected was late at night when on patrol on the back of the couch at the window ... she went off!! (oh yeah she knows the neighborhood and is "normal" and she never did that, so yeah,( she was better trained then I realized??) But I was tired and irritated and told her to be quite! She looked at me huffed and continued to look out the window.

And the next morning, I go out to our car's and both car radios and amps were stolen!!! And Struddell, not only saw them but told me there were there! And she did as I said with be quite so she just watched, as they stole stuff! Cuz you know ... Dad feel's everything is fine. :doubt:
Oh well I reported the crime the next day and the only eye witness was Struddell and she was kinda ticked off at me so she never identified the crooks, ... sigh live and learn, all the Boxer's are still excellent watch dog's ... apparently!! :cry_baby:

But the differences in behavior, I noted between him and my Struddell are rather small I suppose??? But if you've seen them before in a different Breed, you take note. And yeah they are positive differences. But I luv'd my baby girl flaws and all ... they were part of her charm! :)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
He came at her from the front!!! Holly Crap!!! That is dog that will hurt someone bad sooner or later!!

On the E-Collar ... OK thanks! Recall is exactly my biggest issue! Cuz right now ... I got None!! Ticks me off!! This is the first time I have ever experienced this with one of my dogs??? Not starting with a puppy has made a huge difference for me ... apparently???

Well I will have to learn how to use one properly first of course. Fortunately I don't have to be hypocrite! As was never anti E-Collar, I just never needed one until now ... apparently. :)

Ok so you think he is a Euro/America? That is what he looks like to me. Our friends in VA City have one also. And his behavior with stranger's, was a bit different then Struddell's was. As in at least slightly "Aloof" ie uh I don't know do I??? But after that if he did know you all was good! :)

By contrast my Struddell and "Aloof??" She did not have a clue what that word meant?? Literally everyone was just a best friend she never met. :)

And you know by and large she was right! The only time she ever did anything unexpected was late at night when on patrol on the back of the couch at the window ... she went off!! (oh yeah she knows the neighborhood and is "normal" and she never did that, so yeah,( she was better trained then I realized??) But I was tired and irritated and told her to be quite! She looked at me huffed and continued to look out the window.

And the next morning, I go out to our car's and both car radios and amps were stolen!!! And Struddell, not only saw them but told me there were there! And she did as I said with be quite so she just watched, as they stole stuff! Cuz you know ... Dad feel's everything is fine. :doubt:
Oh well I reported the crime the next day and the only eye witness was Struddell and she was kinda ticked off at me so she never identified the crooks, ... sigh live and learn, all the Boxer's are still excellent watch dog's ... apparently!! :cry_baby:

But the differences in behavior, I noted between him and my Struddell are rather small I suppose??? But if you've seen them before in a different Breed, you take note. And yeah they are positive differences. But I luv'd my baby girl flaws and all ... they were part of her charm! :)
Yeah, same with the recall with my guy. He was the 1st that nothing worked. Tried long lines, rewards, pretty much everything and I wasn't willing to have a leashed up dog all the time. It worked great for me. Now its just the most expensive collar..lol Although it does have a light, so we use it all the time on our walks after dark.

Yeah he is somewhat "aloof" when he meets someone. Once he knows you though, he is your best bud. Probably one of the smartest dogs I have had with picking things up quickly, but holy hell is he stubborn when he wants to be. He definitely taught me a lot about training. Big difference when my most recent previous dog before him was a golden who I could get to do anything with a bright yellow tennis ball.lol

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Yeah, same with the recall with my guy. He was the 1st that nothing worked. Tried long lines, rewards, pretty much everything and I wasn't willing to have a leashed up dog all the time. It worked great for me. Now its just the most expensive collar..lol Although it does have a light, so we use it all the time on our walks after dark.
Yeah "No" recall ... get's old fast!! And our long line (which I barely used with my other dogs. :) ) Is starting to show signs of ware!

And I jacked up the work for food thing??? I somehow managed to create a treat monster??? And had I actually followed some of my advise?? I most likely never would have started this thread???

I skipped the two week shut down, and started training on day three. And I started with "Down!" Which I, knew dogs did not like to do! And that turned into a battle Royal! Which I won ... but you know at what cost???

The good news there however, is "now" (in a distraction free environment) if I say or signal "Down." She obey's like it's no big deal. :)

And she actually "knows recall." Willfully ignorant as it were! :chair:

Ah well, what goes around comes around as it were?? I used to get ... annoyed, on Germanshepardforum, with folks and there hand picked Pima Donna puppies, schooling others on how it should be!!! I just never realized, I had always started with the same???

So you know ... now it's "Welcome to the Real World A-Hole!" And you got "Schooled!" :cry_baby:

Sigh ... I just badly underestimated the degree of challenge?? No, H/A no Fearfulness issues, no big deal??? Well apparently not?? But hey we will get there! Just gonna take longer then, I expected?? :)

Yeah he is somewhat "aloof" when he meets someone. Once he knows you though, he is your best bud. Probably one of the smartest dogs I have had with picking things up quickly, but holy hell is he stubborn when he wants to be. He definitely taught me a lot about training. Big difference when my most recent previous dog before him was a golden who I could get to do anything with a bright yellow tennis ball.lol
Yeah, Golden's do luv there balls! :)

And the "Aloof" thing?? I kinda sorta thought that was a "bad thing??" But you know in "retrospect" perhaps not?? A good deal of "Boxer," people nuttiness. IE , they don't know this person at all but they are still "EXCITED" to meet them! So you know, putting a damper on that ... is the first step towards getting guest into your home without them getting "mugged!"

By contrast a dog that has a (in my case) a high level of Aloofness. The situation is quite different! When I got my GSD, from out right hostility! TO a more normal ... "Hi glad to see you, when you leaving?? I was thrilled! :)

But it was a radical change from what I was used to. But digging deeper ... "Aloofness" to strangers, would be a "desirable" trait in a Working Dog! If a dog does not view strangers as the next best thing to "Baking Bread" they can focus on doing there job!

And the Euro Boxer's still seem to have the "Aloofness" trait but the American Line Boxer's not so much?? And one of my life time questions has always been, what did they do to create, the American Line Boxer's from the Dog's of War, after WWII??

Well I still don't know but clearly the gene for "aloofness" was bred out in the AL Boxer's?? But I would say that "Aloofness" is a desirable trait in a service dog, they can better focus on doing there job and not people!! And that would be why some, WL GSD's" by some Breeders, are good at the Seeing Eye thing!

But where and how exactly "Goodness" came from in American Line Boxers?? I have no idea?? WL GSD's, have a lot of virtues but "goofiness" is not one of them. :)

Aww, well it's a tangent but it is a question I have never forgotten. :)

·
Registered
883 Posts
My Euro male is a hard head too!!!!!! I mean STUBBORN he has tested me for sure but we are getting somewhere now. I didn't have too much trouble with him off leash he comes pretty well there is a farm where I can let him go but I have to be aware of other critters like skunks deer and coyotes and some groundhogs I am not sure if the recall skills are that good yet we have encountered other people and dogs and he came back when I called him so he did good with that but not sure of the animal thing I hope to never find out. I am always aware of what's roaming the field with me. I usually train with repeated commands I have used the long line for the recall but he did pretty well without that recall is the first lesson my dogs learn when they come into my house (besides potty training and no guarding of food or toys) he is a goof ball and very loving and affectionate so its hard to stay irritated with him but he tests me!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
My Euro male is a hard head too!!!!!! I mean STUBBORN he has tested me for sure but we are getting somewhere now. I didn't have too much trouble with him off leash he comes pretty well there is a farm where I can let him go but I have to be aware of other critters like skunks deer and coyotes and some groundhogs I am not sure if the recall skills are that good yet we have encountered other people and dogs and he came back when I called him so he did good with that but not sure of the animal thing I hope to never find out. I am always aware of what's roaming the field with me. I usually train with repeated commands I have used the long line for the recall but he did pretty well without that recall is the first lesson my dogs learn when they come into my house (besides potty training and no guarding of food or toys) he is a goof ball and very loving and affectionate so its hard to stay irritated with him but he tests me!
I'm big on recall. Especially where I'm at. Lots of dogs, critters, streets and not much open space except the beach. I need a dog to stop in a mid run when he decides the ducks look fun to play with. lol We have had lots of practice with lots of distractions so thats good.

141 - 160 of 192 Posts