Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in a reply on accident new to this app as well lol I was just reading all the training comments! I also have an 8.5 month old boxer, ive had her for about a month now . She listens well for the most part although almost as soon as she turned 8 mos she started to have selective hearing lol like if we go outside to use the bathroom & she wants to stay out to play i usually have to pull out the treats. Shes crate trained & used to spend most of her time in one before i got her, but now she doesnt like to be locked in, which i was only doing when i left to the store or work. But when i got home she would be super excited & come bursting out the cage. She also escaped a couple times so ive been leaving her out for the past week or so while im at work (just in the common areas) and its been fine except she has peed a couple times before i got home.

The thing i am struggling with is her weight and geting her to not have diareah or soft poop. When i got her she was really skinny & ppl kept asking me if she was a rescue dog - shes not. Shes put on a couple pounds since then but u can still see her ribs. Any advice? To deal with the poop sich ive been giving boiled rice & chicken. I was trying to switch her food but i may have tried to do too much too fast. Im a first time dog owner

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just wanted to add more info to the poop sich. I took her to the vet anout a week after i brought her home bcuz she had spay surgery the day before i brought her home (from NC) and they gave her a fecal test & it came back clear as well as some deworming liquid (one dose not sure if i was supposed to get a second the vet didnt say) and the prescribed her some medication cuz her poop was pretty stinky.
After that her poop lost its stink and it got normal once or twice. But then it went back to soft with intermitten liquid poops. So she also will eat pretty much anything & im pretty sure shes eaten poop of some other animals (geese at the park). She has also been really skiddish & timid (lack of exposure in the country I think) so ive been taking her all over with me. But i cant figure out the poop thing. Ive gone back to strictly boiled rice & chicken for the next 3 days. Not sure if i should go back to the vet or just wait and see? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I really don't know much about it but has your pup been tested for giardia? I heard that can keep weight down even if they are eating enough and creates very loose stools. Maybe you can ask your vet about it. From what I understand there can be some false negatives if it isn't the right test.

Could be a food allergy too, but if you are trying boiled chicken and rice and its sill happening, I'm thinking maybe not.

Also if you switch food I believe the formula is something like 25%new/75%old 1 week. 50/50 next week and then 75%new/25%old the third week.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will see how she does! This is the first day strict diet no treats except for boiled chicken bits for reward for listening. I realized i was giving her treats during the day (different chewing treats) and not taking them into consideration ugh so much i dont/didnt know!
Thanks for the food change ratio! I was also off there! Poor puppy!!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
snows mom. yes this is the formula for switching food Also if you switch food I believe the formula is something like 25%new/75%old 1 week. 50/50 next week and then 75%new/25%old the third week. as posted by Matt74. Give her the boiled boneless chicken breast along with white rice, add a little of the water you boil the rice in to make it mushy, keep her on it for 5 ays then slowly add keeping to it while reducing the chicken till she is back to kibble. I also feed at scheduled times, helps in knowing when she will need to potty. She should eat twice a day. Don't overfeed it will cause sloppy poop. I don't know what food your using but I suggest something grain free with a 24-26% protein level. She probably would eat between 1 1/2-2 cups each meal. I'd start with 1 1/2 for at least a week or so and if she is still thin add a little more while watching that her poo stay firm. Some of the bags actually tell you can can feed more but I've found they usually state more than necessary. I would think if you want to change the kibble you are using you can do it also while on the chicken & rice, just follow the same protocol. At least thats the way I do it. I'm no pro but it works for me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lindar51! Thank you for the advice! I was talking to my aunt & uncle whom i got her from and they gave me similar advice. Apparently her dad also had trouble keeping weight on and now at 3yrs hes finally filling out. I had initially been feeding 1 to 1.5 cups per serving. She inhales it so i thought it wasnt enough! I moved up to 2cups. I will ignore this going forward tho lol she is about 35 pounds now I believe.
I only feed her twice between 530 & 6 and will keep with that. I am going to do a 24hr fast reset for her this weekend. She ate some geese poop and im convinced it has added to her troubles.
How long should i wait to take her out after she eats? Ive been waiting at least 30 mins & then taking a walk. I read that activity gets things moving? She sometimes poops only once per day and i didnt think that was good & that she should at least have 2 movements per day?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Yeah they are all different s to when they need to go. Mine goes 1st thing in morning and then about an hour after he eats but he is 3 1/2 now. He use to go more . Your girl only poos 1x a day? Mine goes 3- sometimes 4 times, but he goes on command now so sometimes its not much.LOL

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha ha she is going more often now but for a week or so it was at peast 1x per day. She has discovered a good way to let me know shes got to go boo lol it worked today anyway lol it takes her a lil bit to do everything lol
Shes great otherwise lol i guess there is a steeper learning curve than i thought lol
I didnt really plan to get her tho so that might have helped. I met her at my aunts & took her for a walk & we hit it off right away lol then they asked if i wanted to take her home & i said yaaaasss!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She is finally on the mend!! I ended up doing the fast

1 - 9 of 9 Posts