Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well some of you may remember that I gradually switched from Pedigree to Solid Gold Hund-n- Flocken about the 13th of Jan. is when we started to make the switch.  About 2 weeks ago we were out of the old and were feeding nothing but the new Solid gold.  Well here is my concerns and questions. Both of my dogs have loose stool not like all over the place just not Solid.  They also have had some rough gas to say the least.  But a few days after we switched to the all Solid Gold my Older boxer started to throw up. I was hoping it was just a coincidence, the reason I thought this was because he was throwing up hours after he had eaten IE he would throw up in the AM before even eating yet, however I don't think it is. Unless I feed him one meal with some Rice mixed in he is bound to throw up at some point.  He has also gotten more gassy.  SO my questions are is it to much protein? Is it the Type of protein (lamb)? or any other suggestions? * I get that I am going to have to switch foods again no big deal but I ma just trying to figure out what to avoid for this next go round.* My little white boy has seemed to be OK no throwing up just a little gassy and a little loose.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
It may have been too quick a change on the new food, usually it is recommended that the switch take a month.  I would continue to feed for a while and add some plain lowfat yougurt or canned pumkin (not the pie kind) to the food and see if that helps.  It maybe the food is too rich for them and you will have to find something else.  Many of us have gone through the hunt for a food that our babies do well on, it just take awhile to find the right one.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh yea, sometimes it takes a few trials to find something that works..But like Barb said, I would give it a bit longer..PLain yogurt will help with the gas a lot, just a teaspoon a day and a teaspoon of the pumpkin should help with the loose stools....I would give it about a month on the new food to really see if it's going to work or not....Lamb GENERALLY is easier on their bellies than chicken for some Boxers, so it very well could have been just too quick of a transition...

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the information. I was unaware that the transition  should have taken a month I just slowly transitioned until I had not old food left. I will keep an eye on them and go get some pumpkin and yogurt, and see what happens. Thank you both!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Normally when I transition I do: 1st week 3/4 old food & 1/4 new, 2nd week 1/2 & 1/2, 3rd week 1/4 old & 3/4 new...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts