Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We started Bruce off with Pedigree Puppy because that is what the breeder was feeding him.  After reading about how awful it was for him, we changed him over to Canidae.  Canidae he liked, but he would go to the bathroom 7 or 8 times a day with very runny eyes and slight hairloss behind the ears.  So we switched him to Solid Gold which at first seemed good, no runny eyes but very soft poop.  We assumed the poop would be soft till he got used to the transition but after 3 weeks and still no change we looked for a new food.  After multiple recommendations we decided to go grainless.  Orijen was recommended by the shop where we get his food, but its high in protein for his age (8 months).  Heather (HB) recommended Taste of the Wild Salmon and so far its been great.  I know its only been a few days but he really enjoys it, and his poop immediatley has been back to solid.  Over the past month and a half Bruce has had kennel cough, he has been neutered and now is being treated for Bronchitis.  Its been difficult time for both him and us and now at least he has a food that doesn't upset his stomach.  Thanks again Heather and for everyone who has been having difficulty finding the right food, I suggest you try it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Thank you! And I am so happy to hear another successful food switch. I am battling this as well. Almost exactly to a "T" what Bruce went through. Runny eyes, soft poo etc. after 4 foods..... I still have hope.

·
Registered
370 Posts
We give Allie Solid Gold with good results.  She was eating Timberwolf Organics Ocean Blue and she really enjoyed that.  I've gotten her another small bag of it, just to do a rotation for a little bit.  Salmon is one of Allie's favorite things.  :)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Glad to hear Bruce is doing well on it  :)  We also switched Chloe from Timberwolf to Taste of the Wild. Couldn't get over the price difference. 33 lbs of Timberwolf ocean blue was around 65 and 30lbs of Taste of the Wild is only 45. Chloe has allergies to all sorts of foods and so far the only two that has ever worked for her has been Timberwolf and Taste of the Wild.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Glad Bruce is liking it, and its liking him.   When Hanna was under 1 it took many of types of food and plenty of carpet cleaner to find the right one.   Going Grainless does not also help the poop count / consistancy, but you will see HUGE difference in coat, eye booies and what not.   You also dont  have to feed as much.   I still use grainless here and there when I forget to thaw something out.

So glad Bruce likes it and continues on his road to recovery!!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
[quote="HannaBanana\";p=\"103908":1s7w6uq6]Glad Bruce is liking it, and its liking him.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bruce was pooping four times before noon, and now its done to two solid ones that I have seen so far.  I'm just glad I can pick it up rather go out and dump water on it or something along those lines.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Glad to hear you have found a food that agrees with Bruces tummy. Hows the Bronchitis doing? Donner and Blitz are sending a whole bunch of get wells. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
aww thats so great that Bruce is doing well on the new food :D we went through the kennel cough and secondary bronchitis from it with Isis when she came home...jeez it was crazy i hop ehe feels better soon

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since he has been on the medication, we haven't heard him sneeze or cough at all.  He got a litttle sick the other day, but that was food related.  We bring him back in 30 days and they'll give him a checkup.  I'm just debating on sending him back to daycare or not.  We hired a dog walking service on the days we are both at work and can't be with him all day.  If this works out, I might keep him from daycare.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I love my dog walker.   However due to K's energy he goes twice a week but come June will be home all summer with my cousin.   To me the dog walker keeps them on "schedule" where as the daycare they go potty anytime they want.    Did you find one thru Healthy Animal?  That is how I found mine.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I find them on the internet, Professional Pet Services of Pembroke and Duxbury.  They'll take Bruce on an hour long walk during the day, feed him, and play with him.  Nice woman, Nicole met her the other day.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I am trying to find a reliable dog walker in my area...the search continues.  I just get nervous when I can't be there to "supervise".  I am afraid Tyson will get loose...my worst nightmare with him.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Sounds like you may have finally found the right food for Bruce, that is great....Also sounds like you got a good dog walker as well, that should help Bruce out with all that pent up energy he's going to get. Yea, have to agree, most dog walkers only spend 30 minutes, so you got a good one :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts