Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem like a duplicate thread but I think this is more specific.

we are crate training our 9 week old baby, and she freaks out every time, and will cry the entire time (we use a baby monitor app to watch on her) whether it be 20 min or 2 hours.

In that time she always poops in the crate. Any suggestions to help with the anxiety? Other puppies I have had before would cry for 10-20 min and then move on and occupy themselves... this little girl howls for hours.

thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've heard a divider helps. I used to sleep on the couch beside her for the first 3 weeks to a month. Then i would only stay there till she fell asleep ( which was probably not a good thing) she was starting to get into the swing of things of being in the crate and staying off the couches until I got the flu really bad, then I didn't have the energy to fight her anymore. Ever since she has been sleeping on the couch.
I stay at home so it's not a huge thing if she is not in the crate, but I do crate her with a Kong when I need to vacuum and she doesn't mind.

As far as the anxiety thing we found out the ours was deaf and that's why she wanted to see us at all times.
Sorry for the rant...lol anyways the only thing I've read is about a divider so they dont have a lot of space because they don't usually poop/pee where they sleep or hang all the time. Eg. Gypsy has never had a accident in our living room because that's where she hangs all the time, the hallway is another story.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i get when she sleeps, that's not an issue for her, its just when we go to work. We come home for lunch to take her out too, but we watch her on the baby monitor and she literally cries and howls for 3 hours straight, this is when she poops.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
You could try a warm hot water bottle, a ticking clock (if you can find one anymore) and ... feeding her only in the crate.

But also understand that a puppy simply can't hold it for eight hours. The ratio I understand is one hour bladder control capacity for every month of age ... that would put time to go potty at roughly 2 some odd hours for now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes shes only home around 3 hours alone. but she will poop after 20 min, its within the first couple min we leave. we have tried just leaving her 10-20 min at a time. We will try the divider too.

so just divide the crate into two?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Divide the crate so only she has enough room to sleep and turn around..the idea behind the division is puppies/dogs wont poop where they sleep.. as they get bigger you move the divider back until you no longer need it... it teaches a few things to hold it and helps with potty training

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Ok cool ... three hours is not that long ... she's just starting early on the "toolishness." M most likely you have a dog sized crate???

If that's the case ... yes make the crate smaller as others have explained. And you may be able to pick up a smaller crate at a thrift store or a yard sale??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes its a full size crate for when she is bigger. I didn't know that the splitting the crate into two to make it smaller is used during the day too, thought that was only for night time when your trying to get them to sleep. Ill give it a go see if it helps out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sorry to hear that you're going through a rough time with the new baby. Crate training hasn't been the easiest in our house either. I thought I would die the first few weeks. Even after 4 months of age he crates and sleeps fine but if crated during the day he would get pretty upset. We're now rounding out five months and his barking and ballistics are getting shorter and shorter. We have used a divider since day one so we've never had a problem with accidents in the crate (at least not until he was on prednisone for a few days)

Hope your baby starts to adjust soon!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we do too, Im sure she will, she seems to be not as sad today and sleeping more by the looks of things when i check out the monitor. that makes me happy and hopeful

1 - 11 of 11 Posts