Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bailey and Chevy wanted to say hello........hope to get a lot of great information......

Bailey is about 3 years old, and Chevy is our newest addition, she is 5 weeks.........Im hoping someone can give me a little information in my newest addition, she is white with a small patch of brown on her ear.....how can you tell if they are deaf, she doesnt respond to any sound at all..... Bailey barking, the vaccum, any kind of sound .....I know this happens alot with white boxers, but Im not sure on how to go about training her, or if there is a school that we could attend.  

Nice to see so many, lov'in there boxer's as much as we do............ take care

http://www.myspace.com/cindyg0903

·
Registered
942 Posts
Welcome from KS, we loooove pictures :D

wow, 5 weeks? She's pretty young to be away from her mom and litter mates, most people would reccomend 8 weeks. Either way, she's a CUTIE!!!(I looked at your myspace)

As far as training, try hand signals...like sign language. Ky's boxer, Isis, is deaf, so she should be able to help you.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Hey, i own two white boxers, on is deaf and one isnt. Glad to have you in the forum! What i might suggest, is read up on some deaf dog books, maybe some sign l

language books. With maddy, we did a lot of reading. I actually found that Maddy was easier to train than the hearing one.. One thing to remember, is do not give

up. Its going to be very frustrating, but if you keep at it you in the end you'll most likely have a well behaved dog. Reinforce him/her too, what we do with Maddy, is

wiggle our fingers really fast at her, that means good girl. For "no" we do the sign just like normal sign language. You could also make up your own, there really

aren't any rules with signing.. as long as your consistent.

Good Luck~

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, I thought it was pretty young too....... wasnt really sure about the whole thing, but I guess I had rather her be with me, if the lady was ready to get rid of them...... I dont think she knew what having 7 boxers baby's would be like.....she is doing fine eating, and going out to potty.... we have missed a couple of time's, I guess thats what hard wood floors are for...... if i could figure out how to post a pic...... i have plenty.........already......

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Welcome :)
I agree 5 weeks seems awfully young, but now that you have her you'll have to make the best of it, unless of course it would be possible to return her to the breeder for about 3 weeks.
I also have two white boxers.. one deaf and one hearing.
It already seems that she is deaf since she doesn't respond to sounds like the vacuum cleaner, but another test is to go into the next room and bang two pots or pans, see if she has any reaction- if not then you will know for sure she cannot hear.
Like its been said, you train them basically the same, just with hand signals.  Did you train Bailey yourself?  
check out  www.deafdogs.org there you can also find some recommended reading.
It is important to not startle a deaf dog, for instance you will want to wake her gently, by placing your hand in front of her nose so she can smell you, or just stroking her lightly.  Also, try to approach her from the front where she can see you coming.
It is good to socialize all dogs of course, but I think even more so for deaf dogs- for this a puppy class would be of benefit.  this should be a safe place for her to interact with other puppies who should have a vaccination record.  she should not interact with strange dogs who may not be vaccinated because of the risk of contracting diseases.
If you have any specific questions feel free to ask!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum....5 weeks is awfully young to be away from Mom so I would take that little one to the vet for a checkup and some tips on what to feed and such....Generally the mother starts weaniing about that age, but she is missing a lot of nutrients that may need to be supplemented.....We do have some members that have deaf Boxers, so I'm sure they can help you out, but definitely go with hand signals, I find even with the hearing dogs, they seem to respond better.....

Where abouts in Bama are you?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took Chevy by the vet this morning after dropping the girls off at school....... Vet said she was fine, like all of us, a little young.....but she seemed to be doing good...... I got some milk supplement to mix in with her chow, with a little warm water, I had been doing the water, but maybe the milk will give her more nutrients, even if she doesn't eat all of her food.......

She and Bailey are playing so well together, it amazes me, Bailey being so big, but not hurting the little one.... take care all.... Happy Friday

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
welcome from chicago! cute boxer babies! can't wait to see more pics !

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
they both are beautiful!! glad she got a clean bill of health from the vet...that is the most important thing at this point!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum, such cute babies, hope to see more pictures.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts