Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Rebecca, Mom to Buddy (11) and Belle (10). They are definitely my babies and favorite little creatures on this earth! I found this forum while searching some health issues. I decided it would probably be good because I could use some support or help regarding my Buddy.

About a week ago, while I was away on vacation, my caretakers noticed Buddy wasn't acting normal. Later in the day he wouldn't get up and even started soiling himself. He was rushed to the vet where he had emergency surgery. A mass was found on his spleen so both were removed. He did great and went home Saturday. Last Tuesday morning my Mom woke up to find a bloody mess in her house. She rushed him back to the vet where he stayed a couple days. He was given fluids and a blood transfusion. He came home on antibiotics and a cone of shame on Thursday. He had follow ups both Friday and Saturday. At Saturday's visit the vet didn't like that he was still having some dripping from his incision. So he was opened back up to see what was going on. The vet found peritonitis. Bad news. So he cleaned out all of the bad tissue he could find, did a saline flush, and put antibiotics right into the abdomen. He came home late Saturday with another antibiotic. When he perked up Saturday night he was great. All day yesterday and this morning were great. Luckily he can be checked on every couple hours. I came home after about 2 1/2 to find him dripping again. I called my Dad to come over and he looked at it and called the vet. We are following up every morning and he said just to keep an eye on him, make him rest as much as possible, and we will see what's going on in the morning. He said that at this point he doesn't feel there's much more he can do. I've been reading that it's possible that it could just still be draining out. But I've also read that it could be that the infection is still there because it can hide very easily within various surfaces in the abdomen. At this point we are basically just waiting to see what happens. He's on three antibiotics three times a day. He's eating, drinking, and going potty without difficulty. He's acting like his usual self.
It's just the dang dripping (which by the way is thin and looks like it might be a mix of fluid and some blood, but I also read it could be blood tinged from cells... seems pretty red to me and isn't as thick as blood would be). It's not as bad as what my Mom saw last week but he seems to be dripping a little more than he had been on Saturday. However on Saturday there was some obvious thick mucous looking stuff coming out.

I'll see what the vet says tomorrow and pray that the dripping stops.

I know no cases are identifical and that no one can say what will happen, but has anyone experienced anything similar? I guess I'm mostly looking for other Boxer parents who've been through this. He was my first baby as an adult and I'm worried. Both he and his sister aren't too happy because I have them separated so that she doesn't go near his incision.

I had a quick break to check on him and it doesn't appear that the dripping has slowed compared to when I was home lasts about an hour and a half ago.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yikes poor buddy :( hopefully it gets better and buddy is on the mend... I unfortunately don't have any real medical knowledge on such thing, so I'll just lend my prayers and thoughts to you all.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Incisions can drain. Many times if there is excess fluid and blood build up a surgeon will place a drain in the incision.

Watch for redness, pus (a green or yellow discharge), a bad odor, fever or lethargy in the dog.

I sure hope he is on the mend!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yikes poor buddy :( hopefully it gets better and buddy is on the mend... I unfortunately don't have any real medical knowledge on such thing, so I'll just lend my prayers and thoughts to you all.
Thank you! Your baby is adorable!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Incisions can drain. Many times if there is excess fluid and blood build up a surgeon will place a drain in the incision.

Watch for redness, pus (a green or yellow discharge), a bad odor, fever or lethargy in the dog.

I sure hope he is on the mend!
Thank you! So do we! It's been a tough road lately. Luckily this drainage is different than last time... Not as gross! I'm hopefully it's just normal drainage. It slowed way down, stopped, and came back a little. Seems to have stopped again.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
OMG that is some scary stuff that you've been through! I hope that Buddy has a full recovery!

So, I have a similar story but this happened to a friend of mine not a dog. She gave birth via C-section and a few weeks after she was taking a shower, part of her incision burst open and all sorts of bloody liquid came pouring out. She thought she was dying and rushed to the hospital. She turned out to be fine. The doctor said, that just happens sometimes (albeit rarely).

I hope that's the case with Buddy! Wishing him a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OMG that is some scary stuff that you've been through! I hope that Buddy has a full recovery!

So, I have a similar story but this happened to a friend of mine not a dog. She gave birth via C-section and a few weeks after she was taking a shower, part of her incision burst open and all sorts of bloody liquid came pouring out. She thought she was dying and rushed to the hospital. She turned out to be fine. The doctor said, that just happens sometimes (albeit rarely).

I hope that's the case with Buddy! Wishing him a speedy recovery!

I sure hope so!!! Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He had a GREAT day yesterday! The drainage is completely gone and he is definitely acting like his spunky old self - even wanting to try to sneak out of the yard to take himself on a walk (in front of me lol).

But he's had some vomiting. He vomited once the other day and the vet thought it was his antibiotics and not enough food. So I've been giving him a little food and then waiting a bit to give him a little more with meds. I gave him a little food around 8, then a little more with his antibiotics at bedtime around 11pm. We got up this morning and he vomited twice. That leads me to believe it wasn't the antibiotics. I know that vomiting can be a symptom of the peritonitis. But again, nothing else is happening and he's acting fine. He has always had some stomach issues (eating too fast or eating grass,e tc. and he would vomit), but this just seems weird with what's going on.

He had his check-up this morning but I had to get to work so my Dad took him. I made sure to have him ask about the vomiting, if he needs some special tummy food, and if I need to go back to a more frequent, less food feeding schedule. As of yesterday he could bump back up to a full cup of food. Maybe we need to go back to 1/2 cup every so often. I had a text from my Dad that said "call me" but I don't have enough time for a conversation for another hour. SO, Momma has anxiety. I'm hoping it's an update on a new feeding schedule, but of course I worry about the old boy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts