Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

new here health problem for my 5 yr old Boxer

3K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  mugzys_dad 
#1 ·
Hi all ..Mugzy's a happy 5 year old brindle boxer he was born with the brachycephalic condition that my wife and I had corrected when we got him@ 9 months his breathing has always been noisy there is even a rattle in his throat but post surgery he at least smelled things and was able to breath better aside for this he has always been a healthy guy.

2 days ago he woke up coughing (?) he ate that morning but hasn't really eaten (his food) since, he is drinking water also his breathing is very short fast in and out breaths I took him to the vet who gave him an antibiotic injection checked his temp (normal) and listened to his chest (also normal). he didnt eat last night or this morning we finally made some eggs and he ate them but threw them up a couple of hours later (it didn't have any smell) and he is still breathing funny .

He is walking around and responsive although a little timid, his gums and tounge are pink but he's not right.. he also hasnt pooped. Any thoughts? we will take him to the hospital tomorrow but i figured i'd post this ....

#2 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your boy is having trouble.  Brachycephalic issues can presents with different levels of respiratory distress in different ways in dogs.... It is possible there could be additional or new things that have come up even post surgery.  It is interesting that the heart/lungs and chest sound normal is he is breathing short and fast.  Since there is a vast number of things that could cause this from a simple common cold to more serious issues of the heart/lungs the best thing is going to be to have it checked....

Please let us know what you find out......and best of luck!!!!

#5 ·
Welcome to you and Mugzy.  Hope the vet can find out what is wrong with him and that it is nothing too serious.  As the others have said, please let us know what the vet says.

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear that Mugzy isn't feeling well, there are just so many possibilities like Sharon, best to have your vet take a look..Hoping he starts feeling better

#7 ·
Hi all thanks for the well wishes ... unfortunately Mugzy's heart gave out today ...this is a tough one he was about 2 weeks short of his 5th birthday ...much too young he was a wonderful guy he would greet you with a sort of long wooooo and couldn't ever get close enough to you he would sit next to me and put his paw on my leg and look up at me.  He was my buddy. We have another boxer who's 6 Monti (another rescue) he is doing ok we're giving him alot of love and attention may he live a long happy life. RIP my friend look for our beloved Buster and Luke be free ...

Attachments

#13 ·
I'm so sorry for your loss. He was a very handsome boy.

Run free Mugzy.

#20 ·
So very sorry.  I understand what you have just went thru and I have been thru it with the last two boxers that I lost to heart disease at an early age.  One was almost 4 and the other was 7.  Our thoughts are with you at this time.

Nano

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.