Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
Just joined today. I'm a brand new boxer owner (brand new dog owner as well). I've always wanted a boxer and now I'm finally going to get one (in a month when he's 8 weeks). Right no he's just a little three weeks old flashy fawn egghead. :D He's name is Nox an he's my german baby.
Any advice is more than welcome. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Thank you. Yes he is. Im from slovenia so there are mostly euros around here. :D
"Slovenia ???" LOL well I did not expect that for an answer …. that's pretty much about as Euro as you can get!
I guess I'm better at recognizing Boxers that I thought?? :)

You should put your location (country at least on here ) it's pretty interesting , most likely we have lot's of Boxers from all over the glob here. Just a thought.

On Germanshepardforum … I was helping a member with her Boxer and country of origin came up. She was England so of course … I expected she had a "British Boxer???" (Yet another sub group of Euro's … apparently)

But she said no her Boxer was an import from America, LOL well that explained a lot! Similar but different as it were. The Euro's are still the real deal … "Working line Boxers" the "American Line Boxer's … not so much???

But we luv them if they even if they are "skinny and incepted" that's a quote from one of my "Hard Core" Working line GSD," fiends. But even he was impressed with the Euro Boxers. Aw well inside stuff … as it were, Welcome aboard, again in any case. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi.
Just joined today. I'm a brand new boxer owner (brand new dog owner as well). I've always wanted a boxer and now I'm finally going to get one (in a month when he's 8 weeks). Right no he's just a little three weeks old flashy fawn egghead. :D He's name is Nox an he's my german baby.
Any advice is more than welcome. :)
Welcome! Nox is adorable.
Lots of durable chew toys. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome! Nox is adorable.
Lots of durable chew toys. :)
Thank you :D Trust me he's not even home yet and we've already have a full drawer of toys.
I bought some from Kong and Nylabone. Do you have any recomendations? We really want to stop bad behaviour before it even starts. Prevention before intervention and all that. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Slovenia ???" LOL well I did not expect that for an answer …. that's pretty much about as Euro as you can get!
I guess I'm better at recognizing Boxers that I thought?? :)

You should put your location (country at least on here ) it's pretty interesting , most likely we have lot's of Boxers from all over the glob here. Just a thought.

On Germanshepardforum … I was helping a member with her Boxer and country of origin came up. She was England so of course … I expected she had a "British Boxer???" (Yet another sub group of Euro's … apparently)

But she said no her Boxer was an import from America, LOL well that explained a lot! Similar but different as it were. The Euro's are still the real deal … "Working line Boxers" the "American Line Boxer's … not so much???

But we luv them if they even if they are "skinny and incepted" that's a quote from one of my "Hard Core" Working line GSD," fiends. But even he was impressed with the Euro Boxers. Aw well inside stuff … as it were, Welcome aboard, again in any case. :)
First I need to figure out how to work my profile. :D And they're not "skinny and incepted". They're elegant. ;) The euro lines are just the originals. :D

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
First I need to figure out how to work my profile. :D And they're not "skinny and incepted". They're elegant. ;) The euro lines are just the originals. :D
LOL not to worry ... AL Boxers don't need me to defend them??? The fans of Al Boxers are legion! :)

But by and large most Boxer newbies ... have no idea there are "different Boxers, in this country???Way back when ... that would include me. I only knew I wanted a Boxer and in San Jose at the time all the local Boxer Breeders ... had were Al Boxers?? The dogs looked right so ... whatever??
Most Boxer newbies, have no idea there are different lines of Boxers??? At the time I did not myself ... a Boxer is a Boxer???

I have no regrets but you know if one is also on Germanshepardforum and one has a Boxer ... well you get a lot of flack??? Boxers can't do this, Boxer's can't do that ! Blab,Blab ... well screw them ... all Boxers are "Working Dogs" but you know something was up???

Boxers heil from "Dogs of War" all of them, but you know "our dogs seem to be different??" I have actually been searching for years for an answer to explain the American Line Boxers ... and exactly why/how they are what they are??? But thus far ... I don't have a clue??? All I know is from a "Book" i read many years ago and what I remember is that the Boxers brought over from WWII, were thought to be to fierce to be let loose on an unsuspecting American Public!! So they changed them "apparently both physically and in personality??" How exactly that was done has been my quest and thus far I have never found an answer but what we "we" got here was "The Clown Prince of the Dog World!" And so "Goofy" became a "Breed Characteristic???"

How that was done "exactly" has been a constant search for me?? But thus far ...no answers??? But on GermanSheparForum ... well your in with the Big Dawgs! MWD,LE.IPO and PPD abond and they don't have time for "Goofy!"

Well that ticked me off cause "maybe" my Boxer did not do those jobs?? But I knew that "Boxers" as a breed could! So I went on a hunt for an AL Boxer doing one of those jobs?? I got close many years ago but that dog was retired ... and I abandoned that search ... my bad. But digging further, I proved my point! There are working K9's in American doing the LE thing and well yeah they are all "Euro's!" Good enough and although he has now passed. :(

I found Cliff Von Grand Kevin:

Cliff vom Grand Kevin

All the K9 Boxer's in America seem to be full Euro's?? and a regional thing? Not exactly what I was expecting to fine ... but "Good Enough! Cliff ... shut them up.:)

As for me ... well, Boxers got more complicated by my experience with my first Wl GSD??? And he most definitely was not a Boxer!

My Struddell formed for me what I expect in a "Boxer." The full Euro's to me are just a WL GSD in a Boxer suit?? That is most likely, not fair or accurate?? But that's what I tend to believe. I worked at a "Boxer Rescue" and I never met a full Euro Boxer?? Lot's of AL/Euro Boxer's in NV for some reason but I have never met a full Euro so I don't know???

But my Struddell (AL) pretty much luv'd all strangers as a general rule and my first WL GSD ...yeah he pretty much, liked/trusted ... no one??? There was a learning curve there?? Worked out fine in the long run (with him) however. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Thank you :D Trust me he's not even home yet and we've already have a full drawer of toys.
I bought some from Kong and Nylabone. Do you have any recomendations? We really want to stop bad behaviour before it even starts. Prevention before intervention and all that. :)
Kongs have been the most durable toys for us- the black and/or red rubber. The Kong stuffed toys end up destroyed after a while, like most other toys. Our boys have fun with them for a while, so we get them stuffed toys too. With these you have to remove them when they start getting the stuffing out, and/or the squeaker.

Consistency in commands, "no bite", and having a toy handy to give them that they could chew on worked. You have to train yourself to keep a toy handy.
Make sure you don't encourage them to do anything when they are puppies, that you don't want them to do when they are older and bigger (like chew on or chase fingers or toes).

And - make it fun- whatever 'it' is, they are stubborn by nature and you'll both be happier by making training and other activities fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kongs have been the most durable toys for us- the black and/or red rubber. The Kong stuffed toys end up destroyed after a while, like most other toys. Our boys have fun with them for a while, so we get them stuffed toys too. With these you have to remove them when they start getting the stuffing out, and/or the squeaker.

Consistency in commands, "no bite", and having a toy handy to give them that they could chew on worked. You have to train yourself to keep a toy handy.
Make sure you don't encourage them to do anything when they are puppies, that you don't want them to do when they are older and bigger (like chew on or chase fingers or toes).

And - make it fun- whatever 'it' is, they are stubborn by nature and you'll both be happier by making training and other activities fun.
Thanks for the advice. :D

I just saw the little guy for the first time last week, when he was 4 weeks old, and our breeder told us that he could see, that he was going to be quite a rambunctious boy.

So I'm trying to educate me and my family as best as I can, so we'll be as prepared as we can be when Nox gets here. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Thanks for the advice. :D

I just saw the little guy for the first time last week, when he was 4 weeks old, and our breeder told us that he could see, that he was going to be quite a rambunctious boy.

So I'm trying to educate me and my family as best as I can, so we'll be as prepared as we can be when Nox gets here. :)
It's so exciting to see them when they are so small. Our older boys were only 2 weeks old the first time we saw (and picked) them. We were able to see them again when they were about 5-6 weeks. They grow sooooo fast. Make sure you get lots of photos as he's growing. You'll turn around and he's 50 Lbs.

I think it's great that you are trying to learn as much as possible. There's a lot of really good training advice on this site. I'd consider myself a beginner trainer. I've trained our boys to potty, sit, no, no bite, down, stay, etc......the basic commands.

I'm not sure how you are set up for him to go out, but something that worked for us before we had a doggie door was to hang a large bell on a lanyard from the door handle to the backyard. We taught our boys to go up and ring the bell with a paw when they wanted out.

If you have a question or concern you can get a lot of great input, feedback, experience from this forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts