Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I just joined a few days ago and I probably should have joined a while ago. I had to have my Boxer dog euthanized last Sunday due to a very malignant form of cancer. She was only 7 years old and I was lucky that she turned out to be a great dog considering her more than questionable genetic background. Let me explain. I had never owned a Boxer before her as I am more of a German Shepherd fan but when I met my husband to be he had already purchased this dog so it was kinda like a package deal at the time :) He had no idea how to train a dog and I had some experience with German breeds as a former owner of a German Shepherd. When I asked him who the breeder was I was concerned when he told me it was some backyard breeder living in his community. I was even more concerned after finding out the male Boxer had died from Cushing's disease a little while after. Needless to say the odds were against her right from the start but I was already attached to her so I tried giving her the best vet care possible as well as experimenting with home-cook diets and a regular exercise regiment to keep her active. When she turned 5 I noticed she was limping and took her to the vet to get X-Rays done. It was discovered that she had arthritis in her knees so I had to stop running with her. We also noticed that her face was turning white quite fast and she was shedding way too much for it to be normal but the blood tests didn't indicate anything abnormal.

2 weeks ago she got up and looked very stiff and apathetic. She wouldn't eat and wouldn't follow me around like she normally did. I thought she was having a big arthritis attack and left her alone that day. Sunday she was back to normal and eating again so we went out for a walk and everything was good. I left for work really early on Monday morning and she was still asleep so didn't notice anything. When I got back from work Monday night and saw her I knew right away it was bad. I took her to the vet and the vet ran some blood tests and the results were disastrous. She had multiple organs failing and the X-Rays showed fluids in the abdomen. The vet told me it wasn't good and that I needed to take her to an emergency clinic to get more tests done. She got better on wednesday Thursday Friday but crashed again on Saturday but seemed to get better Saturday night. We live far away from emergency clinics so we were only able to get there on Sunday. Further testing showed blood in her abdomen and fluids in her lungs as well as cancer traces on her lungs. The vet didn't give us the run around and told us it was too late and it had probably had been for some time due to the malignant strain she had. I then made the decision not to bring her home and have her euthanazise as she was struggling to breathe and was uncomfortable. I've been heartbroken ever since and can't seem to snap out of it. I am not looking to get a new Boxer or a new dog and my motivation behind joining this forum I guess is to find answers and learn more about the breed. I think it will help me cope with my loss.

She will be hard to replace. I have kids and a baby and the baby was sometimes a little rough with her but she never showed any aggression and was very patient with her. Her arthritis had spread all along her spine so I can only imagine how much pain she was in. Like I said I was lucky getting a fantastic dog from a backyard breeder.

Sorry about the long post. I can't really talk to people around me about this as I get responses like "It's just a dog you need to move on". Maybe but she was a family member to me and she was always with me when I wasn't at work.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
So very sorry for your loss, I think the bulk of us here consider these guys family members you won't get too many saying "it's just a dog,". I myself don't have kids, and my guy fills that void without a doubt.. I can't help but think their breed plays apart, I was never a "dog" person and I have friends with other breeds but they don't really trigger any feelings persay lol as soon as I see a boxer on the street I have this urge to pull over the car and give them a hug im a"boxer" person, I doubt I'll ever own any other breed.. I too have a boxer with a unknown past, defiantly did not do my homework on backyard breeding... I kick myself now, but I love this guy.

Unfortunately this breed comes with health issues one of their major down falls.. and I think that's one big push to get folks to buy from reputable breeders who health test, it's not going to eliminate everything but who knows maybe some day.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Oh I am so sorry and only 7 years old that sucks.:(

And no they are more than ""Just Dogs" to us. Here are "words from y "Struddell" when she had to leave me ... they may help??

http://www.boxerforums.com/1428441-post1.html

Welcome aboard which it was under better circumstances.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the kind words. I've actually been looking at the different threads and learned a lot already. I'm happy I joined and reading about people's experiences and companions passing under similar circumstances reinforces my belief that certain breeds need to be acquired through conscientious breeders that study genetics and blood lines.

For now I will enjoy my cats and kids and follow posts on this forum :) Until one day I am ready to get a dog again

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
So very sorry for your loss, I think the bulk of us here consider these guys family members you won't get too many saying "it's just a dog,". I myself don't have kids, and my guy fills that void without a doubt.. I can't help but think their breed plays apart, I was never a "dog" person and I have friends with other breeds but they don't really trigger any feelings persay lol as soon as I see a boxer on the street I have this urge to pull over the car and give them a hug im a"boxer" person, I doubt I'll ever own any other breed.. I too have a boxer with a unknown past, defiantly did not do my homework on backyard breeding... I kick myself now, but I love this guy.
Yeah they just you smile. I luv'd my Band Dawg and my GSD but those you know they just took everything more seriously for "Struddell" life was just one giant ball of fun! She made me smile all the time. Ugh you know when I was not telling her "No" for doing something stupid and different. :)

Unfortunately this breed comes with health issues one of their major down falls.. and I think that's one big push to get folks to buy from reputable breeders who health test, it's not going to eliminate everything but who knows maybe some day.
Well said .. and yes this. Sadly most of us find out that the hardway.

Struddel barely made it to the 10 year mark. DM took her legs away at the 8or 9 mark. Someone was with her for 24 7 after that and when wouldn't eat a dollar burger I knew it was time. :(

We do have a new member on GSDForum and she has a 13 year old Boxer ... so it does happen.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
So sorry for your loss...

I too was a fan of GSDs, however, once we had kids I wanted a dog that was good and patient with children. My research led me to the Boxer. I had never heard the term "heart dog" or even knew how that felt until Duke. I've really never loved a dog the way I love him. He IS part of our family. I don't know if I'll ever own another breed!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know if I could own another breed either. I don't know if her personality is typical of the breed or if it was just who she was. Two of my friends have boxers and they are completely different.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts