Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am new here. I have a wonderful 21 month old boxer baby named Bubba. We are having some allergy issues and came here to see if anybody has anything similar. He currently has a red rash that looks really sore under his neck. It is the only spot but it is not bothering him. He is eating and playing normal. I do have a vet appointment but could not get him in until next week. If it happens to get worse i will defintely fine a vet hospital.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are going to get him another collar today. He has a nylon one. He only wore it to go outside to the bathroom. We do have a harness that is nylon so that may be affecting him also . I never thought of that until now. Thank you for your reply. I recently washed his dog bedding in a different detergent than i normally use. I'm wondering if maybe that could of been the cause.

·
Registered
125 Posts
We are going to get him another collar today. He has a nylon one. He only wore it to go outside to the bathroom. We do have a harness that is nylon so that may be affecting him also . I never thought of that until now. Thank you for your reply. I recently washed his dog bedding in a different detergent than i normally use. I'm wondering if maybe that could of been the cause.
Sometimes it's the most simple thing that is why I mentioned the collar. Also a change in detergent, new air fresheners, candles etc can all cause irritation and a reaction. The fact he is eating normally and being himself is a good sign so hopefully it's just something simple which you can work out without being hit with a high vet bill!!!

My one often get skin irritations - usually all over her back with raised fur. Usually it's because we've changed something or because she ate some dodgy flower or plant at the nature reserve.

Do let us know how you get on.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Well welcome aboard! And yeah I would go with another collar also?? Although it does not sound like he has the collar on that muc?? Still sometimes the wide collar can cuz issue's??

I like these as they have less bulk.:
https://www.mendotapet.com/collections/collars/products/leather-rolled-collar-chestnut?variant=31465663425

And for treating the rash now ... I would use this and just have it on other hand for other cut's and abrasions and stuff.

https://www.well-horse.com/products/well-horse-resin-4-oz

It's kinda pricey for such a small bottle but it work's very well!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Welcome in! Bubba is very cute too. Could he be scratching at his neck? Usually when its an allergy my dogs have usually started licking their paws and forelegs and their ears will turn red on the inside as well they will dig at their ears. I have had two of my females break out in hives all over their backs when they get into moldy leaves twice I had to get emergency vet care because of the leaves I keep Benadryl in my dog medicine cabinet at all times! I hope you find out what it was!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today Bubba's neck seems to be a little better. Redness went down but still some swelling. I'm still not sure what caused it but i rewashed his bedding in different detergent. No colar wearing or harness. Hopefully that is all it was but I still have appointment for him next week .

·
Registered
514 Posts
Good luck and best wishes to Bubba and its nothing serious. Does he wear a collar all the time? My friend keeps a collar on her boxer all the time and she is very itchy under her neck where the collar lays. My dogs don't wear a collar at all unless we are going somewhere. Let us know how he does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update on Bubba

There is hardly any redness on his neck today. He still has like three bumps that looked swelled. The one had a little scab on it but nothing draining out of it. I attached a picture and if you look on the left it is swelled. Im not sure if you can really see in the picture. Any idea on what the swelled bumps could be? Could it be just from the reaction of a allergy or possibly Acne. I wasnt sure about acne on the neck though. Couple days is his appointment so hopefully it is nothing major .

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on Bubba

There is hardly any redness on his neck today. He still has like three bumps that looked swelled. The one had a little scab on it but nothing draining out of it. I attached a picture and if you look on the left it is swelled. Im not sure if you can really see in the picture. Any idea on what the swelled bumps could be? Could it be just from the reaction of a allergy or possibly Acne. I wasnt sure about acne on the neck though. Couple days is his appointment so hopefully it is nothing major .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Looks much better than the 1st picture you sent.

If I had to take a guess, it was most likely the collar like others have said. My guy had something similar early on. He hasn't worn a collar since. Good you are going to the vet though, might give you a topical to help it clear up a little faster.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally was able to get Bubba to the vet. He had a appointment Thursday but yesterday it got really red and swelled so we drove to the closest vet hospital. He has a skin infection and put on antibiotics. Nothing major! I was thinking the worse but the vet assured me that most likely the antibiotics will take care of it. It was probably caused from a allergy. Thank you all for the responses!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Finally was able to get Bubba to the vet. He had a appointment Thursday but yesterday it got really red and swelled so we drove to the closest vet hospital. He has a skin infection and put on antibiotics. Nothing major! I was thinking the worse but the vet assured me that most likely the antibiotics will take care of it. It was probably caused from a allergy. Thank you all for the responses!
Glad you know what it is and you're getting it sorted. I get so worried when my dog isn't 100%.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Carol! Welcome in, I'm new too!
Please read my reply to Carol about the hair loss in this new member section. Along with the hair loss, Diesel used to get red rashes on his throat and chest. The Vet thought it was allergy related. The Pro-biotic and the pumpkin did the trick for us! 100%, never saw a single rash after that.
Good Luck,
Rick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts