Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wanted to say hello well I picked up this handsome guy on friday March 30,2007 I saw him at the local animal shelter a few days prior and he had no holds and no owner came in as a stray he had been there 12 days on wednesday and was gonna be put down on friday i named him "Rocko" he is a awsome dog he knows basic commands like sit, stay, down, and come. I also have a 1yr old female english bulldog and a 1yr old boston terrier and they all get along great hes the calm one of the group. He is a jumper though not on people just over fences he easily clears my 7ft cynder block wall so far that my biggest problem, oh and he's house trained. so here are the pics of my little guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
welcome! your crew is adorable :) Glad you were able to save rocko from what i would call a VERY bad ending. Any questions please feel free to jump in. how old is your handsome guy?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^ he is approx. 1.5 yrs old, only thing that worries me is the fact that he likes to jump the fence I am away from home from 9am - 3pm and well i dont wanna keep him tied up any tips so he wont jump over the fence?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Why do they put them down if they are not sick? I watch animal rescue and it is amazing how they try to help animals they treat them like people I have seen ever dogs with 3 legs getting adopted and he is a very cute dog.

Re- fence, is there a way maybe you can add to it another part with net slanted to the inside of your house maybe another 2/3 feet more to what there is already?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Your 3 are all adorable.
I'm surprised he can scale a 7ft cynderblock wall!!   8O  You should get him into agility!   :)  I have no idea how you can contain him in the yard, other than training or using a crate. Good Luck.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum and kudos to you for rescuing Rocko..Sounds like he was running out of options....Lord have mercy, he jumps a 7 ft fence? My Tia used to scale a 6 ft fence until we fixed it...So I'm not sure what you could do, other than possibly crate him for the time being. I agree with what Tootsie said, you should get him into agility, sounds like he would love that and fit right in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the comments guys, i still dont believe he can clear the fence its 6'6" on the way over an a little over 7ft to get back over and he makes right back over. ill see what i can figure out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey there!  Congratulations on your beautiful family there.  I am so glad you rescued that beautiful boy!   I like your boston too.  I grew up with those, my mom was a breeder, so I have a soft spot for them.

as for the jumping well  I love the agility training idea :D    Boxers are working dogs-  they love to work.  I know Cesar Milan is very controversial in the dog training world but one thing I think he has spot on is exercise.  Try to run him long enough everyday to make him tired.  I had a siberian huskey in college who was an escape artist, I took him for at least a two mile run with my bike everyday and whenever we ran he didn't try ro escape but if a day or two  went by without his run he would hop the fence.  riding a bike with a dog is dangerous (don't ask) so I like Cesars roller blade idea. you can go faster than on foot and really challenge the dog.  or try a backpack and weigh him down.   Dogs are more likely to wander whenthey are unhappy or bored. so good toys can help too.  Crate training while you are away is also important.  
I am not an expert, I don't train dogs for a living.  I am just sharing an experience from my own life.  
Good luck with your new dog and congratulations!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts