Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my name is suzie . i recently moved to louisiana from arkansas with my 1o yr old son and 3 boxers.

i love the boxer breed very much. i started with the boxers when i bought my first pup 4 yrs old from a breeder in dumas ,arkansas, he died a yr ago. then i resue my female from the katrina shelter in louiisana , when i get her she was poor and scared. i only had her 4 months.she is 5 yrs old and weighs 50 lbs.how can i fatten her up? i need some advice.

i just bought a pup from a breeder in rayville, la. i just came back from there with my new pup a couple of hrs ago. i have no name yet. she is 12 weeks old.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum Suzie...Depending on your girl's size, 50 lbs is about right...As long as her spine isn't showing, I wouldn't worry too much..Is she spayed? That generally will put weight on a bit, but some boxers are just not prone to being heavy..My Buck was like that and Angel seems to be the same way....The more active, hyper she is, the less likely she will be for putting on weight....Tia was my couch potato and had to watch her weight carefully as I do with Samson, but he's my old man, and not that active anymore....

Look forward to hearing more about your furkids and don't forget the pictures!!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
The weight seems fine to me, females usually arent going to very heavy. My girl is 2 and she is at 50 pounds. Do you have any pic of your babies? Congrats by the way on rescuing-best way to go. Many of us here have rescues :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the vet said she was under weight since her ribs were showing a little and they said she needs to gain about 5-8 more pounds

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hi, and welcome to Boxerforums!
Just because your boxers ribs are showing, doesn't mean she is underweight. My maddie is 2 and she weighs 63 lbs, and I can still see her ribs. She is very tall for a female though. Like samsonsmom said, as long as you can't see her spine or her hip bones, she is probably fine. Is she eating like she is starved? If not, I really wouldn't worry about it. Maybe, with some pictures we can tell if she needs to put on a few pounds.  :wink:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
now i am no expert and if anyone disagrees with me please say so, but i think your girl looks good, She doesnt appear to be underweight. At least not from the angle the pic is taken from.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Your 5 year old girl looks perfect. Not skinny or underweight at all. Also, your 12 week old pup is adorable. Love the patch over her eye.  :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Beautiful dogs!    I don't think she looks over thin either.  When will you know about the male?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i get my male today. i pick him up at 7 a.m from the shelter.he is 4 yrs old and weights 57 lbs.he came from a abuded home . the shelter said..he been in the shelter since the hurricane hit louiisana.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm so glad you are rescuing that big boy out of the shelter.  :)  That's a long time to be in there. Now he can finally live and learn what it is like to be in a loving home. Kudos go out to you for rescuing.  :clap:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Kudos to you for rescuing...That poor sweet boy has been in a shelter since Katrina? Wow, I would have thought all the dogs would have been placed by now....Your female doesn't look too thin to me either looking at that picture posted. Is the white boxer the one you just rescued? He's a cutie too....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts