Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

New here...

1K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  mybox1 
#1 ·
Hey, just introducing myself.  My brother had a Great Dane for about 8 years and my sister has 2 chihuahuas...

I have wanted a boxer for about 10 years now but couldn't ever get one because of other pets around the house and so on.  Well my girlfriend and I have our own place now and as luck would have it I found a post on the internet for a couple with a brand new newborn baby that had to get rid of a boxer they 'temporarily housed' from rescue (her father is a vet) about 4 months ago.  I made arrangements (I would have actually gone and picked him up the same minute I saw the post if they needed me too) and ended up going the very next morning (this morning).  It was a 3.5 hour drive, but well worth it.

His name is Ares and he's about 4 years old.  When they got him 4 months ago, he was really skinny but he's bulked up some now.

I've always been great with dogs, and I'm sure he will give me a run for my money...but he's really well-behaved around all people and walks really well.  He knows when it's time to 'hang out' and when it's time to play...so that's a plus.

For our first walk, I started him out with a choker and after about 1/4 mile realized it wasn't necessary so went back to the regular collar.  I just say "heel" and boom he's right behind my right side.

--

He's definitely a bit hyper around other dogs as we noticed at the park, but seems like he'll be fine.  I want to bring him around other dogs a good bit before I really let him off his leash with one.  He has some scratches on a few places I guess from dog fights and don't want to risk it.

--

Anyway, we (my girlfriend and I) decided that this would be the best route to take (rescuing one) as opposed to buying one as a puppy because I definitely have the patience and ability to train a dog that needs the help.

I run my own company so I have a ton of time to spend with him...and a lot of the time I contract out work so I just oversee things, and he can basically tag along with me whenever I go.

--

OK I'll stop rambling...here's two pics from today...

Me and Ares before our first walk...

My girlfriend's hand and Ares...

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to the forum..Ares is a handsome guy and kudos for rescuing him. Sounds like he has had some training as well which is a huge plus. Feel free to jump in any time with questions, tips you name it and don't be shy with the pics, we do love those  :)

#4 ·
welcome! :) i'm new as well. i joined a few days ago and you will love it here. everyone is very helpful. he's very handsome, congrats! :)

#6 ·
Thanks for the welcome.  Oh yeah, do his ears look cropped to you?  At first I said they weren't because they flop, but they still seem rather small...

We had the ears on our Great Dane cropped when he was a puppy and personally, we all decided that we wouldn't do that again.  He had some complications with his ears...just not worth the risk for us personally.

And the more pictures I look at, the more confused because all the boxers with cropped ears stand straight up and are a lot smaller, but all the ones without the cropped ears all seem a bit bigger.

#11 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum!!!  Kudos to you for rescuing him.  He is handsome!!!

#15 ·
I would second that...(BTW, Welcome! :) ) I have two boys right now, but I saw "Chloe" on the rescue board here a couple days ago and would have loved to take her!!!  But, not enough room for another right now...we'll get there...I just spent the weekend with 10 boxers from our immediate family (family reunion) and it was WONDERFUL! :)

Again, Welcome...and congrats! He's gorgeous!

#18 ·
Welcome, what a wonderful thing you both did!  Ares is a very handsome boy!  We also adopted one of ours from rescue and she was the sweetest baby ever!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.