Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to post this in the Rainbow Bridge section but had to post here first. So here goes. When I was 18 I convinced my mom to let me get a dog (since I still lived in her house). We already had one dog (bassethound). But I wanted a boxer.. we had a boxer earlier in my child hood that I loved dearly that left home and never returned.

I picked out Tyson, my buddy, a few months before I graduated high school. We spent a lot of time together, he was my best friend for sure. He also was very close to my mom, as she is a sucker for those puppy eyes. After a year or so I decided to move a few hours away and was not able to take Tyson with me, at least not for a while until I got my house stuff figured out etc etc. He stayed with mom for that time and I ended up moving back. I will never forget the look on his face when I came back home, and man did we sleep that entire next day in bed together. He loved to cuddle.

My mom and I moved together after she and my dad separated. We made the big move from Kansas City MO to a very small town where we were from. Tyson adapted to the change well and went from a City dog to a country dog. There were a few times he ran away from the house and did not come back for a few days, was very scary. He came home shot once (shotgun), cut, bit, all kinds of stuff. He was a tough country dog that earned his right to live there.

To many memories to talk about, some good, some bad but mostly just Tyson. I got married, and of course my wife did not want an inside dog (I know, I should have never married her :cry: ) So he stayed with mom. Which was not a bad deal, he loved her and her him. Plus he was spoiled there. He turned 10 in 2016 and that is where things got bad. He started losing his back legs a little each day. We adapted, made it work. Different leash to help hold him up, he did soil in the house without knowing it sometimes but we loved him and did not care. I would go see him on lunch break daily, as much as I could and my mom did not mind to take care of him.

I do feel like he thought he was a nuisance. I could see it in his eyes. The legs kept getting worse and worse eventually losing all mobility. But we continued to make it work, probably not the right thing to do. I owed it more than him to make him not be able to get up and use the bathroom on his own. The Friday before New Years eve on lunch break he was not acting exactly right. Wouldn't eat his treat, didn't want to drink much water. I took him for his walk to do his business and he fell forward, getting right back up I thought everything was fine. My mom called me the next day and said she thought it was time. He could not move anything but his head and just looked like he had, had enough. I was not able to make it to her house in time before the vet did it.

I have not been able to be normal at all. Crying daily, nightly, all the time. He was my best friend when I had no one else. I just hope he does not think I abandoned him. I pray that dogs do understand more than we give them credit for. He sure gave me more than I gave him. I think I am writing this to just honor him to people that love boxers. He was a good one, he had his own personality. Please pray for me and send some love to Tyson. Thank you all.

- Casey

Attachments

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Sorry for your loss they defiantly leave paw prints on our hearts when they leave us.. never enough time spent with these beautiful babies. But know you gave him the greatest love and he is running free of pain

·
Registered
350 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. I lost my first boxer 6 1/2 years ago, and I think about him daily. Boxers are great dogs. Each have their own pesonality, but I think they all offer so much love. I couldn't be there when my boxer was put to sleep because I didn't want him to see me cry, and I wanted my last memory of him to be alive. I'm sure that he knew how much love you had and still have for him. I will pray for you that in time it will get a little easier. The pain doesn't go away, but you learn how to deal with it. Welcome to the forum. I have found a bunch of really good, and caring people on here.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Well ... you threw the "should not have married her thing out there" ... so yeah.

Going forward if you can't have your dog inside then just don't get a "Boxer." :(

There are lots of breeds that just don't care but in general a "Boxer" is not one of them ... so you did good to leave him with your "MOM." :)

That said ... it goes without saying, that I am sorry for your loss. And that said if your "Boxer" managed to make it to the "10" year mark you did good! :)

And ... that said ... so you know ... it sounds like your "Boxer" fell victim to "Degenerative Myelopathy!" It's a thing in "Boxer" land and it also claimed my "Struddell" it took away her ability to walk at about 8 years or so and with a lot of effort on our part ... she barely made it to the 10 year mark! :(

And ... I we know your hurting ...lots of us have been there ....

So in closing ... I'll just post the words my "Struddell" said to me when she had to leave. :(

http://www.boxerforums.com/rainbow-bridge/127233-goodbye-baby-girl-struddell-11-25-2013-a.html

Take care. :(

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. Its always a difficult time when we lose a pet who left his paw prints on our hearts. You will get thru it and your dog is now free with all good memories.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am so sorry about about your lost. It can really be a tough time when we lose the pets that we love. I really hope that you can hold on to the good memories that you shared and that you'll one day find the strength to try again.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
So sorry about the loss of Tyson. Your process of grieving is normal especially after losing such a dear friend. Your mom sounds awesome and I think making the decision to let him go was the right one considering how his health deteriorated. Boxers are so sensitive and they don't want to disappoint their owners. Not being able to conduct his life with dignity would be hard for him.

Time will heal. I lost a beloved pet parrot to old age and illness- he was a friend for 27 years!- this October and I am just now able to talk about him without getting hysterical.

We are here to listen if you need to talk. That is sometimes the best thing.

Take care. - Deb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts