Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum. My family and I picked up our new boxer puppy yesterday from the breeder. 8 week old female, 5 lbs 6 ounces. She barely slept yesterday and was full of energy, and we had her outside where she was running with the kids. Also was playing in the house tugging at her toys.

Put her in her crate a couple times to get her used to it and when we went to bed, she only whined for about 5 minutes. I took her out four hours later to go to the bathroom and then she was up 2 hours in her crate before relaxing. At 7 am I got her out and she ate and drank and I carried her outside.

It was then I noticed she was holding her back left leg off the ground. She has favored it all day, not putting weight on it; sometimes she touches it down when she walks but not hard. We have no idea what happened, there was no issue last night that caused her pain and she was fine in the middle of the night bathroom break.

She did get two shots at the vet on Friday, the breeder said it was in the leg. And we noticed her left leg is swollen above the knee, but I'm not sure where the shots would have been. We are hoping this is from the shots and being really active with the kids and that she didn't blow out her knee. We already had her first vet appointments scheduled for tomorrow, so we will see. But, Any thoughts/advice would he appreciated!

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Could be a reaction to the shots but whenever I get a puppy I am sure to have it looked at by a vt within the first 48 hours time frame and it looks like you have that covered. Meanwhile I would just have hr take it easy.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I guess I wouldn't let her walk around more then is absolutely necessary! Did you call the vet about this in case they suspect it might need treatment before the appointment tomorrow. For bug bites I think they give Benadryl sometimes. For a possible fracture she would need pain medication asap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We tried to get in early, but there were no appointments. We go in about 2 hours. My wife said her entire leg is swollen now, all the way to the ankle, however she is straightening her leg when you pick her up. Yesterday she wouldn't straighten it at all. She is eating and drinking and going to the bathroom just fine however, so we didn't think it was necessary to take her to the ER Vet. Letting her rest and putting warm compresses on it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Good luck at the vet. Hope its nothing serious.

Zuke broke his toe at 6 months. Vet says keep him off it unless you are taking him out to go to the bathroom and no exercise for 10 days. I looked at her and said "Really!?" She just laughed and said, "Thats the criteria, we know that is difficult with certain puppies, especially boxers." lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts