Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Our family welcomed our brindle male boxer puppy into our family in November. We named him Oscar. He was born Aug 21st. We are now 3 lessons into our puppy class. We all seem to be catching on which has proved difficult at times with 3 "trainers" in the household...my boyfriend-Brandon, myself, and our 12 year old son. Overall we are seeing progress in ourselves and in Oscar 馃檪
He was already fully potty trained when we brought him home at 11 weeks.
Oscar is our first boxer and we are enjoying him so much he is just another member of the family.
I'm excited to gain insight on being a new boxer mom & benefit from all of your experience with the boxer breed.

Registered
Welcome and congrats on your Boxer. They are the best dogs in the world for sure! Once you get one trained they are so easy to live with too. They do require attention and they like to be involved with whatever's going on in the house they always want to be a part of things. I think its great everyone participates with his training and what his rules are for the house but just be sure everyone is using the same commands and the same rules should be used for him at all times so he knows what's expected of him. The only down side to boxers is they do suffer from a lot of medical issues so its important to watch him for any unusual bumps that's suddenly come up and watch him in the heat if you live in a hotter area they can't tolerate it too well or extreme cold. But you should have many happy years together! This place is a good place to find all kinds of useful info so again welcome!

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the warm welcome & the helpful health & training tips.
We live in Minnesota so we have extreme temps both high & low. Just the other day it was -掳below 0 outside. Days like that are hard and we try to get creative while stuck inside. We'll do brain puzzles and play fetch up and down the hall.
Anyone have any suggestions for exercise (mental or physical) when we're stuck inside due to weather?
Oscar has a lazy eye..is this common in Boxers. The vet isn't concerned with it. But I wonder how it affects his vision.
P.S. We also have a female 3 year old cat named Harvey. The two get along well for the most part. She teases him and he chases her around the house. Sounds like a heard of buffalo! But when he is asleep on the couch she'll tiptoe around him sniffing his mouth & ears. She also naps on top of his crate and sticks her arm through and pokes the beast.

Registered
Thanks for the warm welcome & the helpful health & training tips.
We live in Minnesota so we have extreme temps both high & low. Just the other day it was -掳below 0 outside. Days like that are hard and we try to get creative while stuck inside. We'll do brain puzzles and play fetch up and down the hall.
Anyone have any suggestions for exercise (mental or physical) when we're stuck inside due to weather?
Oscar has a lazy eye..is this common in Boxers. The vet isn't concerned with it. But I wonder how it affects his vision.
P.S. We also have a female 3 year old cat named Harvey. The two get along well for the most part. She teases him and he chases her around the house. Sounds like a heard of buffalo! But when he is asleep on the couch she'll tiptoe around him sniffing his mouth & ears. She also naps on top of his crate and sticks her arm through and pokes the beast.
We always used days we couldn't go outside for reinforcing training inside and play. Also did scent training, where I would hide some treats in pretty difficult areas and have him try to find them. Still one of his favorite things to do.

Registered
Fortunately we don't get too much below zero weather here so on rainy days I just usually play inside with them or they play with each other a lot even though they are both pretty young they are usually content to sleep most of the day. When its nice out I run them about 2 miles a day and they can usually last about a day inside with me doing nothing but after that "katie bar the door" the are ready to go. I did buy my dogs nice horse blanket style dog coats from Foggy Mountain dog coats they have lasted for years now and are pretty warm and block the wind pretty well too my previous dogs used them now my current ones do. I am so glad you got a boxer! I have never heard of a lazy eye in one of them before does it seem to affect his vision?

Registered
Welcome aboard and with three trainer's, yeah you have to be constant with the rule's!
With our new Boxer/APBT yeah ... I am not, consistent indoor's, my bad. Bella pull's some crap that I would "NEVER," have allowed my other dog's to get away with!

The cat food bowl's she like's to eat the wet leftover's and she "wait's for the cat's to finish. I feed two on the kitchen table and she wait's and when they leave she will, and "sneak the bowl's off the table."

I see her doing that crap and I'm like ... whatever. Technically it's not a good practice, cuz if she does that ... she could do it with other food on the counter top's?? I don't mind the table and the cat food bowl's, but Marilyn find's her doing that annoying at times??

She will get down if Marilyn actually say's something?? And she stop and look's to me?? And I tend to say uh ... nothing?? And Bella "say's," OK then and get's the bowl down and put's it in on the floor. So yeah "technically a "Bad Dog," but I allow it. And technically, bad quirk number two ... would be she like's to nibble on blanket's sheet's clothes etc. She does not damage them and I find it kinda cute??

It kinda, irate's Marilyn at time's?? But again ... I tend not to care, so Bella continues to do it! It's pretty much a clear cut case of "inconstant," owner's?? But unless, rule's are "consistent," among all parties the given behavior is not gonna change?? And I don't view "Bella's" crap as an issue ... so yeah.

And the lazy eye?? I'd not worry about it?? Unless your dog has an aspiration to play baseball or be a pilot?? It does not matter, it does have an effect on dept perception but I have lived with a lazy eye for 62 year's and I get along fine.

Now the cat thing?? Yeah ... I do seem to be well versed, in cat dog relationship's, to be modest. I'm now down to five cat's (Bob) being the most recent arrival. And I did do foster's and "still," have a tendency to rescue and bring home stray's. And not all of them are good with cat's!

So yeah, "Cat Chasing," .. in my house with my dog's ... I only have one rule in Dog and Cat relationships. The Dog, "never," Chase's the Cat period ... end of story!!

Many years ago I, had all three of my dog's in the back yard. And I have a few out door cat's, and I had uh up to 17 personnel cat's at one point. I was in cat rescues and kinda sucked at the re-homing them part?? I am now down to Five Cat's today as I just added Bob (the newest arrival) :)

But my point is with my "Cat Proofed" dog's ... I still had stray's come into my yard and feed from the indoor outdoor cat dish?? Now frankly the first time I saw that, I was stunned?? The "strange cat," was right there on the patio table eating Cat food and Rocky (GSD) right below him and newest dog member, never even gave the strange cat a glance?? Rocky was the newest of three dog's at the time, and he never even gave the "strange cat," right above his head a second glance??

My other dog's did do the same but they were raised with cat's as puppies so no big deal. But Rocky was new (7 month's when I got him) and I had a lot of reason to watch him like a "hawk!" Lot's of issue's with my first GSD. So this time I noticed, the cat/dog behavior! And I was most impressed and quite pleased! :)

Moving on, right now as a "puppy," the "chasing" is cute?? But in a few month's as he get's bigger, it could become ... not so cute?? And behavior that is "cute," now could become an "issue," down the road? I only have one rule in Cat v Dog, relationship's ... "The Dog Never chases the cat!" End of story.

And that pay's off in the long run. As cat's are everywhere?? And on a walk, a Dog will see a cat long before you do! And the,"hidden" benefit to a Cat proofed dog?? Is you don't have to fear the sudden appearance of a random cat on a walk. And having your dog, bolt the leash in pursuit of the random cat! Just something to consider.

Welcome aboard in any-case. :)

Registered
Well I had a nice welcome typed out but apparently I lost my connection as I hit send. So welcome to the forum.
I found this link just the other day about some mind games, I haven't had the chance to go thru it yet as I look for things to do with my dogs frequently.

https://www.puppyleaks.com/canine-enrichment/?fbclid=IwAR2yh02G02L3B4UpGtPRZH_zjZG3TdoMVv3AisjZ9Duv5JqNRCsc2WMbib4

This one is a link for the place command, also a very good thing to teach.

I have failed, just keep saying I will work on it but I seldom do but I don't have a problem so..but I really think it should be one of those commands we all teach like sit, down, come and shake hands, lol.

We also played the "find it" games , at first I'd toss a treat and say find it and he would of course go for it, I kept making it more difficult so it keeps them thinking and looking. It a good game for a rainy or cold day.

Cats, we have 3 now. The dogs are not allowed to chase the cats..ever I usually say no cats or leave it. Leave it and drop it are more good commands to teach. Now our boxer who is 5 years old now never chases the cats anymore and they will sleep together. My StPoodle is another story, he gets all excited and will hop around as the cats are running or jumping on the chair sofa or whatever and he wants to chase them but I say no cat and he knows and will walk away, but he has to do his hop first, so I still keep my eye on him, he is 2 years old. Poodle is more active than boxer.
Try and always use the same words with your dog when training (each person). Work together as a group even if the others are just watching so y ou all get the idea that your doing things the same way. And remember short training sessions are good so the dog doesn't get bored, and try to end them on a good note. Good luck with your puppy and I hope you have many happy and enjoyable days with him. They are the greatest!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts