Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned 2 boxers in my time, after quite some time since I am ready for another puppy...I live in CT and would love to find a breeder within the New England area (CT, NY, MA, VT). After doing quite a bit of reading it seems like this would be a great place to start. Thank you in advance...

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Sorry I am not aware of that area for breeders but start with your boxer breed club. You can look at the AKC marketplace for puppies but still you need to be careful to find a breeder that does genetic testing on the parents, as byb of AKC dogs often can list their pups too. I think the AKC now does state info on testing. I will never buy another pup from a person who just breeds and doesn't do genetic testing and some type of conformation or sport with their dogs. While you may pay more initially for the dog over all you will likely pay less in health issues and sometimes behavior too (as long as you are training). You know by the time your pup get to be 3-4 years old you have put an enormous amount of time and money into training, and vet, just normal ownership responsibilities, its a shame to throw it all away because someone is just breeding their dog because they love their dog and not doing genetic testing for issues that can be mostly avoided down the line. Good luck in your search and feel free to share. We do love puppies here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I am not aware of that area for breeders but start with your boxer breed club. You can look at the AKC marketplace for puppies but still you need to be careful to find a breeder that does genetic testing on the parents, as byb of AKC dogs often can list their pups too. I think the AKC now does state info on testing. I will never buy another pup from a person who just breeds and doesn't do genetic testing and some type of conformation or sport with their dogs. While you may pay more initially for the dog over all you will likely pay less in health issues and sometimes behavior too (as long as you are training). You know by the time your pup get to be 3-4 years old you have put an enormous amount of time and money into training, and vet, just normal ownership responsibilities, its a shame to throw it all away because someone is just breeding their dog because they love their dog and not doing genetic testing for issues that can be mostly avoided down the line. Good luck in your search and feel free to share. We do love puppies here.
I have contacted several clubs in both NY and CT but have not heard back from either, I really thought finding some breeders to talk with would be easier than this.

Thanks for the replies, it gives me some direction to go for questioning a breeder...

·
Registered
448 Posts
The AKC has some breed specific breeders on their site I found that even though some of these were AKC registered they were hideous examples of Boxers. Don’t rule out sites like Hoobly just be very very careful
I could not agree more, some so called breeders should be arrested. Don;t think that your on the AKC sight that everything is peachy creamy.It's Not! There plenty of BYB there. With very poor breeding's. Due your Due diligence.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Took me 3 months and I had to travel 700 miles to get her but FB Market Place worked for me. First thing I asked every breeder was proof of genetic testing for BOTH parents. It only costs the breeder a couple hundred bucks. So no testing... RED FLAG. No thank you. Eventually I was contacted by a breeder who had the exact fawn, black muzzled, fancy pups with proof of testing that I was looking for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am originally from CT recently moved to NC and I started my search for a boxer breeder again a few months ago. We had to put our 11yr old boxer down and our other 9yr old boxer was just diagnosed with osteosarcoma with Mets to her lungs. I wanted to try to find a breeder within a days drive of me. Reached out to several breeders who health test, show, some got back to me some didn’t. To be honest I didn’t get a good feeling from really any of them. I decided to reach out to a breeder I had gotten a boxer from a long time ago while still in CT. Charlotte Dunne (cadogans boxers), the dog I got from her was the healthiest boxer I had ever owned. She met me half way which I think was PA. I am getting a puppy from her again and she’s coming all the way to me! She truly cares about the health of this breed and I highly recommend her

1 - 8 of 8 Posts