Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I just called to have our 6 yr old checked out.  He has always been very playful with the other boxers in the house when outside and
loves to antagonize the one with the ball.  ie: head butts ect.....I noticed about 3 weeks ago that his tongue gets somewhat bloodied.

Well, I took the gloves out today "he hates those"-- and really took a good look, as it seemed to be getting worse.  I had always thought that he was somehow biting his tongue over and over or banging it when he does his little head butts.  

Now after looking closer...I can see that the tongue "side tip" is a bit harder and looks somewhat like a small piece of cooked meat...gross, I know...
sorry....this is really concerning me.  

HAS ANYONE EVER EXPERIENCED THIS BEFORE?????  He is eatting fine...yet in the last week has been getting a little messy.  His activity level is super and
he seems perfectly fine in all respects.  

All I can think of is Tongue cancer....has anyone ever heard of this?????  Is it possible????

Any thoughts at all would be appreciated.  

We couldn't get an appt. until tomorrow AM....

Thanks so much, Lauren

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Wish I could help but have never heard of this; I would call your vet and see what they think.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Sorry I am not any help either, but would be interested to hear what your vet has to say...Welcome to the forum  :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
I am not an expert but it sounds like maybe a part of his tongue is dying. Like maybe there is not blood flow to that area. I am not a vet though and so I suggest you get in the vet asap. IMO I am sorry i was not much help either it would be alot better if you could put a picture up also.
Samantha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: New Member---Question about tongue--follow up

Hi everyone,

Thankyou so much for your replies!!!!

this too had me stumped......I did get an earlier appt..than what was orig. set up......  Jake is now on 1000mg of Clavimox...500mg am and 500mg..pm.....

She took a look....I was a little surprise at her reaction....she was completely grossed out....face and all.....

She could not make a diagnosis right there and then but thought the less invassive route would be the strong antibiotic 1st --then after 10days...if it hasn't changed
or if I notice it getting worse...she will do a biopsy along with blood work......it is very possible that it could be a form of Cancer.....lets hope not....

It took 3 people to hold him down--not including me!!!!  I was at his head trying to pry his mouth open...poor guy....I was talking to him the entire time....
he was so scared....but once he was down on the floor again....he was the typical boxer----tail wagging with the kidney bean thing going...you would have never
known he was just accosted!!!!!!  

She also checked him out body wise and thought he looked super...very athletic...which he is at 6yrs...but glad she didn't find anything else...other than a small
ulcer on is left eye.....not a big deal....treating it with terimicin ointment : left today paying 175.00$--over 92$ for just the clavimox!!!!!!

I will update as things go on......who knows it just might help someone else, right....it's what this board is all about!!!!!  Thanks again, Lauren

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Awwww, poor guy. hoping he gets better soon. It always amazes me how high of a threshold for pain Boxers have, nothing seems to bother them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts