Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I just joined this group and am looking forward to meeting fellow boxer lovers and learning about the breed. Our puppy is due early in May and we will be bringing our baby home in July. I am really hoping to learn alot from everyone here since we have never owned a boxer puppy before. Our family adopted a maltese poodle from a rescue about two years ago and he is a great little dog, but unfortunately he doesn't have a lot of patience with our three girls (12, 11, and 7) We researched and specifically looked for a boxer because of their great reputation with kiddos. We are especially desiring this puppy to bond with our oldest daughter who has high functioning autism and language delays. She could really benefit from a special buddy and we hope we can have this puppy bond really closely to her.

Any tips about introducing a puppy to a smaller older dog would be appreciated! as well as any tips about helping a dog bond specifically to one member of the family. of course, we want this dog to be pleasant for all of us, but it is especially for our eldest. Looking forward to getting to know you all here!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello, new member here too. We got our boxer mix puppy on 3/31 and she is our first boxer. Previous fur baby was a siberian husky but he passed away at the age of 9 1/2 back in sept of 2015.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, we are new members as well.

It's great you are researching your options to make the transition home with a new puppy as smooth as possible. Puppies are especially tough from 6 to 12 months old as they get bigger and they like to explore in ways we wish they wouldn't! Finding a reputable training school near you will help guide you through all the stages, and can even make it possible to train your dog to assist your daughter. I like to look for training schools that offer a lot of different types of classes (obedience, puppy class, rally-o, agility) as they often have a good group of positive based trainers that can help you. They will train you in how to teach dogs, so you can carry those lessons home through the sometimes challenging puppy stages. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts