Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every my name is John and sunday morning we got our first ever boxer ever! We arent new to owning dog but new to owning a boxer. Her name is Zoey and she is 7 weeks old. Does anyone have any advice or tips so we can give her the best life possible IMG_20190217_162434_526.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Welcome to the forum, she certainly is a cute girl.WE crate trained our boxer from the very beginning. Large 48 inch midwest crate with a divider while she was small giving her just enough room to stand, turn and lie down. We used beds in the beginning but he shredded them all, eventually went to a tie down crate pad, Primo. Best investment for us as he never ate that. Ours was picky eating during his early years and especially while teething. Boxers also seem to have sensitive tummies so find a good food, not too high i protein 24-26% worked for us. Ours was not food motivated during training but loves praise. Boxers are wonderful dogs. Is she a hearing boxer? I know some of the whites with blue eyes can be deaf, one of our members has a deaf boxer. Still sweet as can be but you train a bit differently. Good luck with her.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Congrats. Cute pup! Looks like the white boxers are taking over the forum. lol

Only advice I would give is crate training, like Linda mentioned. Try to be consistent, firm but not angry. Make training fun, keep it to no more than 10-15 minutes at a time. Try not to get frustrated(it will happen) the work you put with the pup will be so rewarding when they are older.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She seems to be hearing fine. Im going to take her in this week to get her a wellness check at the local vet. I do got another question. I was reading they are high energy and can some times develop Separation anxiety, i work days till about 4 - 5 would it still be a good idea to crate train her?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yes,high energy. Probably will need to find someone that can let her out during the afternoon for exercise, play, bathroom... I know some members do/did doggie daycare but sometimes boxers aren't welcomed.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
She seems to be hearing fine. Im going to take her in this week to get her a wellness check at the local vet. I do got another question. I was reading they are high energy and can some times develop Separation anxiety, i work days till about 4 - 5 would it still be a good idea to crate train her?

Absolutely, our boxer spent quite a bit of time in his crate when he was young, even when we were home moving about, coming and going so he really didn't develop separation anxiety as he was never sure if we were there or not there. He did of course have play time, snuggle time, sleep on our lap time, lol but ultimately he was returned to his crate. This was very good for when he went in destroy mode he didn't destroy any of my house or furnishings, or et inapproritate items. If you are gone all day I highly recommend you get a pet sitter, to take him out to receive himself as as he ages at least every 4 hours. Right now he will need to go more often. There are also doggie daycares.
I found my dogs to be very much creatures of habit, so make them good ones. I always fed, (still do) on a schedule, so I learned from mine when he would need to potty.

·
Registered
122 Posts
We put doggie doors in to a fenced area outside so they can relieve themselves when ever they need. No accidents in the house, ever. The yard gets cleaned daily so they don't track it in the hse. (Diesel) Oops did I say that? sorry D. (he's more likely to step in it than the girls:) )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts