Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone.... I am actually from Arizona.  Earlier this week I found out that a sexual predator moved in two doors down from me.  I have been doing research and figuring out what to do.  In addtion to installing a newer alarm system, bars on the windows and door, I also was granted permission from my landlord to get a "barker".  I looked into different aggressive but even tempered breeds and decided on the male boxer.  Yesterday was spent looking but all the adults available at the pound has serious mental issues (5yo and not house trained,  one didn't like cats, one didn't like men.....).  I called some local breeders and asked to see their puppies.  I must've been to three places before I found this guy.  I flipped him over, held him up high, and did all those puppy tests.  The breeder even took me into her house where we rang the doorbell and listened to him bark!  Needless to say I came home with him.  I named him Cactus.

I know puppies are hard work.  I had my first up-three-times-night last night.  I guess I will nap when he does just as if he were a baby.  I am off to the store this morning to spend more money.  We are content and happy.  I can stay in my apartment and Cactus has a forever home.

I know I will be needing support as I am a "single" puppy parent!  I look forward to hearing your advice and stories.
~Anne

·
Registered
616 Posts
Re: New "mother" of a fawn male, 8 weeks old on 10

Welcome!  I too am at home alone at nights.  My husband works nights and when we got our first boxer, it was not our intention for security purposes.  Our oldest is now 9 mos old and our biggest baby ever.  He sleeps in our bed at night and will let out a low growl (quite a scary noise) when he hears something.  My son came up the stairs after we had gone to bed one night and I have no fear that he would not protect me if someone came in at night.  Our littlest fur baby is 3 mos old and still sleeps in his crate.  When the time is right, he will also join us in the bedroom at night.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Oh yes, that low growl is scary. We have windows a few feet behind the headboard of our bed. Daisy hangs out back there looking outside sometimes. I went to sleep and woke up to her mean growl. It freaked me out, then I woke up a little more and realized she was growling at a tree or something being blown around by the wind.

She goes from super tough mean dog to wiggly licking machine instantly.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Welcome to the forum & congrats on the new puppy. Oh you are going to have fun, he will make you laugh, and cry, but so very worth it. That low growl can be so very intimedating to hear, but it's nice to know that they are on "patrol". When I first adopted Samson, he never growled or barked. Gradually the growl started and boy is it scary to hear. Now, he barks very little, but when he does, I take notice.. One of the things I love about the breed is that they are not constant barkers as some are. Enjoy Cactus (love the name) and look forward to hearing his exploits.. Pictures please!!

·
Registered
162 Posts

I too got Chloe for a deterrent to "unwelcome" visitors.  We moved into a new neighborhood and didn't know too many people + DH doesn't like guns.  

Here hurricanes = no power/phones for sometimes weeks - we had friends that had to sit in their house with shotguns to keep looters out in 2004 - a nice big dog with a loud bark is a good deterrent.

Welcome to the forum - I am going to see a trainer soon to help me teach Chloe (nearly 5 months now) to bark/growl on command without attacking - I'll let you know what I find out.

Right now she only barks/growls at the bitter apple bottle  :lol:

·
Registered
770 Posts

Awww! Cactus! What a gorgeous name! Mine is called Daisy! Not quite as original!  :p
My boyfriend works nights and I feel so much more relaxed knowing that I've got Daisy with me. She won't bark for no reason, but she will certainly alert us if she hears anything at all out of the ordinary. She's also great company for me when I'm in on my own in the evenings. Your in for a lot of fun, that's for sure! Good luck with Cactus! Lets hope he doesn't turn out to be a prickly character!  :lol:  
Sorry, couldn't resist that one!
Can't wait to see pics of him!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thank you all for welcoming me/us to the forum. I have enjoyed reading through here when I have an issue with Cactus.  Good news though- he is already potty trained.  I think training a dog must be like raising a child- there are so many ways out there and each person has to find what is best for them, their puppy/dog, and what will make them the best owner, just as you do what will make you the best parent.  I must say I am not excited about hearing that boxers have a terrible twos but I am going to do my best to instill manners before he reaches that age.  Overall though, I could not have found a better dog for me and my daughter.

Here is a question, that I will also post elsewhere- how soon can I get him neutered?  I would like to asap.  He will be 9 weeks on friday.  I do not want any leg lifting, humping, and would even like to stunt his growth a bit by doing so, if that is possible.  I am not sure if that is possible or if that is an old wives tale.......

Again, thanks for welcoming me.  I am enjoying boxer-mommyhood!
~Anne

1 - 10 of 10 Posts