Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I got a puppy, who I've named Frankie, from a breeder on 10/2/17 and he was born 7/20/17 so he is about 12 weeks old now. I am having a lot of issues with him because he is scared of and hides from everything. He is not a happy, loving puppy. I joined in hopes of getting advice to help. I am going to make a detailed post in the puppy forum but wanted to post an intro as well.

I guess I'm not allowed to post in the puppy forum. Does anyone know why?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Congrats for your new puppy Frankie :)

Can't wait to have a full post on what is happening but in the meantime I would make sure to build his confidence. Rewarding any TINY little success when he shows any kind of courage.
I would also be careful not to reassure him with affection as this might reward him for his fear.
You can build his confidence through play and hand feeding. Encourage him to come to you though and not the other way around.
Build that bond and his confidence through play and show him that YOU yourself are calm and quite confident.
Patience and encouragement.
Please do reply to posts as you will be able to post your own thread after :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Any info of where he came from and what might have been his living conditions or any possible traumatic experience he moght have had?

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Oh I just saw this, is the OP still here??? I do believe around the 12 week mark is the second fear period??? If an owner gets things "right" out the Box and have a solid puppy, most owners won't even notice???

But if a puppy is right on the edge or slightly over in this case it would appear then a different course of action than the "typical" would be required.

I refined this approach with my former H/A GSD, it was actually my Boxer approach execpt with her I "always" said yes to my I pet?? But she luv'd ... uh everyone! :)

But my GSD ...not so much, so I thought what if I said "NO" to my I pet??? Worked out fine. :)

In any case, have a look here.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/welcome-boxer-forums/202025-boswell-16-wks-fearful.html

Welcome aboard, sorry your having issues but we got your back. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts