Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had Dyna for 2 weeks without any trouble. She is 10 months old and at the moment un-altered(she has an appointment next week). I have a large home with a greatroom. I close off bedrooms, bathrooms, pick up remotes, clear the kitchen counter and leave her loads of chew toys... I do not have a crate so she is free-moaning for close to 10 hours, 5 days a week. I do have a friend let her out back for a few minutes on her lunch hour but that's it. I guess my question is, should I expect this to end one day and come home to a train-wreck? From the posts I've read so far I am getting the sense that, either she is a very good girl or the other boot is about to drop! It may be note-worthy that she was dropped off at our local animal control center, but she was only there for 3 days. Are there any uncrated boxers left alone for extended periods that do not wreak-havoc?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
It does seem like a lot of boxer has seperation anxitity but if she is good now I don't know why that would change.  Duke is good at night and when we are there.  He has no problems in his crate but he loves going for rides, so if I leave and Adam isn't awake then yes he will distroy my house.  So I don't trust him out all day when I am not home.  But if you don't have this problem I don't see why it would change.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Hopefully that shoe wont fall :) I have to keep my girls kenneled...not because of seperation, but because they tend to do naughty things when i leave them unattended :) I am glad Dyna is settleing in so well in her new home.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
We leave our baby home every once and a while for the day (with a lunch-time potty break) however we do have to pick up everything that she could possibly want to chew because she's bad for that...even if we leave for 30min to an hour. If you left stuff lying around I'm almost sure it would get chewed up. We've just learned our lesson the hard way with leaving stuff around.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Most people here do crate their boxers.  It's really the best method when you can't watch them.  Boxer puppies are very curious and can be very destructive.  I personally do not crate, my pup has been pretty good so far and he never took to the crate.  I do believe if you gate off areas, close doors, pick-up stuff, you can find a happy medium.  I think unfortunately you just have to come to grips that something valuable probably will get destroyed at some point, and often times you have to catch them in the act before they know it's wrong.  Trust is earned so I would start gradually and see how it goes.  I would try not to leave her alone too much in the beginning since she is a rescue dog and could trigger separation anxiety.  Sounds like she's doing really good though, good luck!  I'll tell ya, if a dog doesn't need to be in a crate it's a great thing.  I personally feel too many people put their dogs in crates for far too long when there are alternatives like dog walkers and doggie daycares available.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I think it depends on the dog. Donner was crated until he was somewhere around 8 months, he's 16 months now and has never had a problem being out of the crate. Blitzen is his EXACT opposite, and may never be uncrated  :lol: Just be sure Dyna gets lots of exercise and entertainment and it sounds like she'll be fine. Welcome to the forum  :D

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I can leave Jessie with free roam if I wanted to, I choose not to because there is always a chance that something is left out that she has access to that I dont want her to.  She destroyed Shauns passport and my phone charger, it was totally our fault.

Maggie on the other hand cant be left out of the crate when no one is home.  She destroyed my sisters house when she was a puppy

·
Registered
648 Posts
daytripper\";p=\"82620 said:
I have had Dyna for 2 weeks without any trouble. She is 10 months old and at the moment un-altered(she has an appointment next week). I have a large home with a greatroom. I close off bedrooms, bathrooms, pick up remotes, clear the kitchen counter and leave her loads of chew toys... I do not have a crate so she is free-moaning for close to 10 hours, 5 days a week. I do have a friend let her out back for a few minutes on her lunch hour but that's it. I guess my question is, should I expect this to end one day and come home to a train-wreck? From the posts I've read so far I am getting the sense that, either she is a very good girl or the other boot is about to drop! It may be note-worthy that she was dropped off at our local animal control center, but she was only there for 3 days. Are there any uncrated boxers left alone for extended periods that do not wreak-havoc?

Sounds like she has a great temperment. However, the one thing you didn't mention was how much does she get walked or other activites. Many boxers / dogs can be fine in the house but the key is excercise and without that the energy level esp. working class/high energy dogs like boxers tend to create ways to relieve their energy... via. many destructive behaviors.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Howdy from Texas and welcome! :D

Alright now, y'all don't bite my head off.  We leave Henry outside when we're gone.  There is a "holding pen" type area in the back yard.  It has a dog house and toys and stuff, so he's fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I have to eat a little crow here now. She did get after the 25+ year old leather couch cushion today, but in her defense it was already torn from years of my friends skin babies jumping all over it. She just finished the job for them. I am honestly not making an excuse or do I condone her action but you have to admit peeled up leather is mighty tempting.  I've watched the kids pull at it for years and fixed as needed and I can again. The other couch and untorn cushions were not disturbed. Trust me, I was surprised it took this long and figured it might be a matter of time and comfort with her surroundings... I had already planned on modifying my back patio and yard so she will have inside and outside access at her disposal during the day. I do appreciate your replies and hope I can be helpful to others here before long. P.S. We take a long walk in the morning, play hard in the back yard in the evenings before her final spirited walk at night.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
lol @ the couch...i had that happen too with my american bully..i had to laugh...

there are alot of people that leave their pups..for extended periods...its all in their own personality...sounds like you have yourself a great baby !! and ooo so normal lol..

Zhanna...
if we didnt have the worry of poison toads, poison centipedes and weather TOO hot..i would let the dogs stay out more .. toads and crawling 9 inch long colorful things with a zillion legs are just too tempting to both dogs lol

your set up sounds like fun ..id bet Henry loves it !

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Storm & skye are lose in the house they have doggie door and can going & out when they want in hte fenced in yard. Sometimes things are good when I get home sometimes it's not. They destroyed a bag of ornmeal last week :roll:  but for the most part they keep each other occupied

·
Registered
204 Posts
I keep both of my dogs crated because they do bad things when I am not around. Sometimes they do it because of seperation anxeity, sometimes out of boredom, sometimes by accident because they are fighting with each other, and sometimes just because. I don't trust them at all. My boxer was good for the first couple of days, then it just went down the hill. I would crate the dog just because it is safer, because you don't want him or her to get to poisionous items in the house. When you leave you won't have to worry about the what ifs. Exercise is very very important. Take him orher on long walks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got a call from my friend who looks in on Dyna. 2:45pm update at the home front: No Distruction! I'll keep working with her and making sure she gets plenty of excercise in the evenings. Thanks for all the tips.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Welcome! Glad things are going well with your new girl :)
The only reason I wouldn't leave my dogs outside unsupervised is because I don't trust other people to not mistreat or steal them! haha. There are just too many things that can go wrong for me to feel that they would be safe out there alone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts