Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone... I put up some new pictures of Cactus today. They are in the gallery.  Their are two of him on a little black couch so you can see how much he has grown.  If he is not 25lbs yet, I bet he is close.  Also, he has gone over two weeks without a seizure! Hooray!
~Anne

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Cactus is a little cutie patootie!  :love: Happy to hear he is doing well. Your daughter is very pretty too!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Wow, he really is growing!! Such a sweet face..I am so glad to hear that he hasn't had anymore seizures..Keeping fingers & paws crossed for him...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all... fingers and paws are nicely crossed in hopes that the seizures were a freak accident.  He is a gem. I accept him imperfections and all (trust me I can see them now that I have studied the Boxer Standard!).  He has started doing his guard dogging, which if you remember is why I got him.  A sexual predator moved in two doors down from me.  Being a single female with the only child in my condo complex, well, I wanted an extra pair of ears and a big bark.  It is fun to hear him now- it seems last week he was yipping and now his voice has lowered, he has gotten more confidence, and he lets me know when someone is walking by.  Cactus is serving his purpose for us!  Thanks for letting me share.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It's so fun to listen to the way their barks change, huh? I remember when I got Buck at 10 weeks, he never barked. He was almost 3 months old before he even did & even then it was more a yip. Then listening to that bark change was like having a teenage boy with the voice change..The wonderful thing about boxers is that they are not constant barkers, mine seldom did & Samson is just the same. So when one barks I take notice. You got to love that..

So glad that Cactus is settling in well & doing his "job"..All dogs need a job, it makes them feel needed & wanted... :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like it that boxers are not constant barkers.  In fact when I was studying up and deciding what kind of dog would be best for my daughter and I, I remember reading that the boxer was a natural at being a guard dog but but nonaggressive.  

I am also helping to refine his barking.  I let him have about ten or so barks while praising him for barking. I then say okay Cactus, that's enough. What happens is once he sees that I am telling him he is good for barking, he will usually go back to where he first barked and repeat it, smart little guy.

It's true for people too, don't you think.  Everyone likes to have a job, a useful niche.....

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Boxers besides being great dogs are soo good with kids, as I'm sure you have discovered. Cactus will quickly establish who his "people" are and protect them and yes in a non agressive way. I've seen Samson stand in front of a child and protect them from a strange dog a few times & it's awesome to watch. He doesn't do anything, just stands there and guards...Cactus sounds like such a sweetie, I look forward to watching him grow and hearing more..

·
Registered
770 Posts
Aww! I love the new pics of Cactus! He is absolutely gorgeous! It brings back the memories of when Daisy was a little pup and when her nick name was 'egg head' because of the shape of her little puppy head! I love it when they still have their little egg heads!
Sounds like you're doing really well with his training! Keep up the good work and Cactus will grow up into one brilliant boxer!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts