Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some new pics of Allie (10 weeks!!)  We brought them all to the park today.  The only problem that I seem to be having lately is she seems to be bullying my pomeranian (Charlie).  Don't get me wrong, Charlie is no wimp and can handle her right now but I'm worried that she will continue this behavior as she gets bigger (and bigger) and hurt him.  She barks at him if he is eating (to move from his food ), she tries to jump on him, and she gets very rough with him.  Is it possible she is trying to dominate him at such a young age?  I mean she even crawls on top of our female labs back and humps her!!!  What do you guys think and what can I do to nip this in the bud if need be?

Allie with our LabX (Kate)

Allie with our Pom (Charlie)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I know nothing about behavior stuff but I'm sure Liz can help ya out on that one. I just wanted to say your babies are adorable! The pic of Allie and Charlie is precious. Sorry I couldn't help ya but those pics were just too cute  :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have no idea what she is mixed with (any guesses?).  She is 11 years old and plays MaMa to everryone! :lol:   Here is a better pic of her.  I just read in Bark magazine that you can swab your dogs mouth and send her dna out to tell which predominate breeds are in your mixed dogs Dna (65$).  Pretty cool huh?  I'll never do it but , oh there is also a collar for sale now with gps tracking ability to trace wherever your dog may be (technology these days!)

·
Registered
152 Posts
As long as there is no fighting, I'm not too sure I'd worry about it.  Some dogs will just be the alpha dog, and if the other dogs are ok with giving that dog that status, then they've accepted it.  Most dogs have no problem not being the "top dog" so just keep an eye on things and make sure no one's fighting.

Such a cutie in the pics.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I need more info before I can help you.  Some dogs "hump" when they play.  Barking, pouncing and the like are all rather typical Play behaviors, but could also be considered dominance depending on posturing and other behaviors.

Please read the Dog Body Language stickey.  Become familiar with it.  Tell me what kind of posturing is going along with these behaviors.Then I can help you.

Good Luck in the meantime.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
she looks yellow lab and golden to me...i see both in her...

wow low jack for your dog...thats soooooooooooooo cool..
and the puppy is gorgeous !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Your babies are so adorable! They grow so fast don't they!? What are you feeding Allie and how often? Just curious as Sadie and her are the same age.  :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Liz,
   Allie growls and lunges at Charlie (ear up, tail up, etc..)  She has recently been getting veru rough with us also and lunged at my face and bit me in the nose!!  I tried to roll her on her back but she got even more angry.  (I read on the sticky not to do that!!)  What do I do when she gets like this, I try and redirect her but she is very stubborn and continues to growl  and bite.  I know puppies play rough and she is so sweet most of the time but when she starts her rough play, it seems to escalate out of control.
    Sadiesmomma, I feed Allie twice a day about 1.25 cups of Science diet large breed puppy.  I was feeding regular puppy but vet said to switch as she seemed to be growing to fast.  She was 12 lbs at 8 weeks,  I haven't weighed her recently.  How big is your girl and I would love to see some pics!!!

Michele

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm not sure this will help at all and I am no trainer so I'm sure Liz will have some very useful info for you but I wanted to throw in my experience.  I have two pomeranians and we brought Poe into our house at 12 weeks.  From the very first day that we brought him into the house we established that he is not to play with the pomeranians at all.  No harrassing them and no touching them.  They are only 5 lbs and 10 lbs and we were not about to risk one of them getting hurt.  We taught him leave it and did not allow him to come bodily contact with the poms.  He would also bark at them when they ate kibble even if there was another bowl of kibble available.  It took quite a while of redirecting him and teaching him the leave it command but it was successful. He is now 69 lbs and will wait in line behind the poms to get a drink of water or kibble as they all take turns. We have never had any problems will aggression or dominance issues and I want to believe it's because we established his place from the beginning. I don't believe in 'letting the dogs work it out', I think you are the Alpha and you should tell everyone what their place is and they should accept it.  Poe has never attempted to 'hump' anything but if he did we would not allow it and probably use the leave it command again.  I believe in guidelines and teaching them what is acceptable behavior not allowing them to decide what is acceptable. Anyway, I don't know if any of that info helped at all... lol.. but I had a similar situation and thought I would throw in my 2 cents.  Thanks :)

-Suzanne and Poe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts