Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on uploading photos of my super grower Cactus as we speak.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As for the pictures, I only have a couple that are good.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Good lord, is that my wee little Cactus? He's grown up!!! Since I'm on dial-up  :(  I can't watch the videos, but I sure did enjoy the pictures..I don't know a lot about the breeding thing, so I'm not going to be much help. But I bet you were horrified when you got back and found that mess...Let us know what happens, ok?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Geez...he is soooo big, and that tongue....well, I don't even know what to say about that!  :p
As far as Maggie goes, she can absolutely be spayed now. I think it would be in the best interest to the puppies and Maggie to have her spayed. I think I remember correctly that you got Cactus from a BYB.....so is this is the same breeder?  With Cactus' seizures early on and no health testing done, I don't see any good coming out of this. I think Maggie should have been spayed a long time ago. I know this was an accident, and accidents do happen, but maybe now is the time to do something about it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that is our tiny little Cactus- who was 12 pounds when I got him!  I am getting Cactus neutered after school gets out but I think she wanted to breed Maggie with her other boxer.  It is not my dog so I don't feel comfortable telling them what to do.  I am all for pets being spayed and neutered!

And Saigey and Cactus are twins!!!  That is adorable- don't you think their faces have gotten a lot meaner looking in the last couple of months- they looked so sweet as puppies but now they look like guard dogs- even though I have yet to see Cactus be anything like mean.

I was horrified to find that scene.  Hopefully we will find out what we can do today.  Cross you fingers, pray, do a no-puppy-for-Maggie-dance, whatever works, right?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hopefully nothing "took" and everything will work out fine. I didn't mean to sound like "get that dog spayed" but I honestly don't think this "breeder" is breeding to better the boxer breed, and that is the only reason that dogs should be bred. Okay....I'll get off my soapbox now. It's just a real peeve of mine. You were questioning the abortion thing and I know that dogs can be spayed when they are indeed pregnant.
I'll keep all paws crossed that nothing happened, keep us updated.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
If she is willing to spay the pup, then tootsie is right. They will spay her and abort the pups if things took. If she is not willing to spay maggie and everything took then get ready for pups, because i have never run across a vet that would abort without spaying.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Cassieqh I think that cactus is still young to be a daddy my other boxer I tried to mate him when he was 1 year old and all he did was stabbing his feet in front of the female and smelling her the doctor told me he is still young for that than the second time he was 2 years old when he raped her with no help, another thing if he did they will be stuck for like 15 min and he'll be licking his (you know) for like another 10 minutes until he goes completely normal so you would have noticed for sure that something has happened, but at that age he would get exited with just

·
Registered
977 Posts
Out of curiosity - If you let your male mate will he develop a 'taste' for it? And does it start up a problem habit of trying to escape and get to females in heat? I'd like to know the pros and cons of letting a male be a 'stallion'?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
caillou\";p=\"5540 said:
I'd like to know the pros and cons of letting a male be a 'stallion'?
I don't know of any pros leaving a dog intact, but I have a million pros to neuter!  :p   I won't go into "my soapbox" of a speech about neutering. I just really don't know of any good there is of not neutering, unless of course your dog is a stud dog and you are a responsible breeder.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I do see your point but what will it look like? :? I mean... Voltaire has rather big boy parts, that you can't miss when you're walking behind him. Would they be chopped completely? And i'm married - and you know men : :lol: start talking about castration and they go all defensive :( ...even if it's just the dog! :lol:
I wasn't planning on breeding but my vet has a pedigree bitch and asked if Voltaire had a good pedigree because he might be interested. So i just wanted to know if i'm better off not doing anything because my dog is so well behaved that i'd hate for him to change.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tootsie-

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
cassieqh\";p=\"5562 said:
Did anyone look at the videos and pics of Cactus?
I did...I can't believe how HUGE he has gotten!! He does have an extra LONG tongue as well!  :p  Your daughter (i'm assuming it's your daughter, looks very cute also, from what I can see.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
caillou\";p=\"5556 said:
I do see your point but what will it look like? :? I mean... Voltaire has rather big boy parts, that you can't miss when you're walking behind him. Would they be chopped completely? And i'm married - and you know me
They don't actually "chop" them off. The "boy parts" will shrink down to almost nothing. So, he will have very tiny sacks. Barely noticeable. I know men have an awful time with this subject, it's like they are losing their manhood!  8O  Make a deal with your husband ... tell him if Voltaire loses his.. hubby can keep his own!  :eh:
As far as his behavior changing, the only thing that will change is that he will not have the urge to wander.  
Now about breeding...
Questions that you need to ask yourself:
1) will Voltaire be shown to his Championship?
2) what do you think his virtues/faults are, and what is it about him that makes you think he is worthy of using at stud?
3) what sort of requirements will you have for any potential mates...will you require that they be finished? What health tests will you require the bitches to have? How will you interview bitch owners to determine that they are breeding for the right reasons, and not just to make a buck off of a litter?
4) Will I be doing health testing at the appropriate age, and holtering & thyroid testing throughout his entire life. This at least shows our peers that we are doing everything we can to produce healthy dogs, free of known inheritable conditions. Has Voltaire been health tested on his thyroid, OFA'ed for hips, and cleared for both SAS and ARVC before offering him at stud. Sure, there are folks out there who will use an untested dog, but we owe the people who get a dog from us some level of assurance that we are doing our part to not produce dogs with these health problems.

Breeding should be a serious commitment, to our individual dogs, to the breed, to the people who buy our puppies. Puppies are a joy, but can also bring tremendous heartache if not bred right, ending up with health or temperament problems.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Buck wasn't neutered, but let me say that it was not for lack of trying on my part...As I bought him as a gift to my ex, he refused to have it done..And yes it was purely the "macho" thing....Grrrrrr..I tried for the longest time & actually considered just making the appt and getting it done without his knowledge....When we separated, he sadly kept "dog custody" of both Buck & Tia and the last thing I asked him was to please consider seriously having Buck neutered..If for nothing else, the health issues...I still do not know if it was done or not.....

The questions that Tootsie asked regarding using a male at stud are very good questions and you need to think real hard about it..The best thing to do is have a totally neutral party that knows boxers well assess him..Get his opinion on what he feels about Voltaire. If that person gives you a favorable response, then make a decision. Here in the states most great studs have finished in the ring. That in itself is a huge commitment in time and money and we haven't even gotten to the testing or breeding!!

Let us know what you decide ok? Please don't feel we are ganging up on you, it's just our concern for the breed that gets us all worked up...Lol...

·
Registered
977 Posts
You're completely right Ladies, i'll leave the breeding to the exhibition dogs and stick to what i intended in the first place ie. a family pet (or surrogate baby in my case!) Maybe my vet asked me because he thought it a good way of making some money out of the extra testing!!! I'm feeling quite suspicious all of a sudden :?
As to the op - i'll have to let that idea ripen for a while. My Uncle has a nine year old German Shepherd who's never been a problem with the girls - not castrated - not interested. I was hoping mine might be the same. I am fenced in by the way, so he can't get out...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I of course agree that my daughter is adorable- she is a treat!  The only thing is she "fights" with Cactus like he is a sibling.  She will come running in and complain "mom he took my toy" or "mom he stepped on me".  It is hilarious!

·
Registered
107 Posts
If Cactus is like Saigey your daughter is right ehh. Saigey still thinks he is a puppy he jumps on my stomach without any warnings as soon as I arrive home after work he removes my hair band and bites off my shoes remove my make up with kisses lol so I can imagine being his size it would be worse :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts