Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm no stranger to puppies, or house training, but my girl is giving me a run for my money. I have a three year old golden, Mikey, we then got our now 6 month old boxer girl, Ellie, and a couple months later took in a 5 year old golden, Sandy. First, Ellie was considerably slower at catching on than I've experienced with other dogs. We bell trained her (she often rings it just to play, but at least she knows that bell opens the door), praised for good behavior, scolded for accidents (not physical with her), and tried a squirt bottle (did wonders for Mikey but Ellie loves it lol) for bad behavior. While I never considered her fully trained, prior to getting Sandy, her accidents were becoming less. However, welcoming a new dog has COMPLETELY erased our progress. Sandy is much more active than mikey (he's 128lbs and very slow lol) so while Ellie has a wonderful new playmate, she wont stop playing to potty. She doesn't truly "squat" inside anymore. I know she KNOWS to go outside. However, if her and Sandy are playing, Ellie will noooooot stop playing to go out. She simply pees while the butt is wiggling and she's playing. She also pottys from excitement when we get home. She can make it all day while we're at work, and typically goes all night without waking us, but for example, in the two hours before I leave for work, we can make 3 trips outside and I'll still have to clean a mess inside. What do you do when she simply can't control her excitement?!?! HELP!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do try to take her out alone when I can. She either stays by the door or by my feet and says clearly with her eyes, "no mom, I play with sister. Let her out" lol. Eventually I have to go inside to dress for work, and 5 minutes later there's little trail of "excitement pee" on the floor bc she soooo happy to play. And yes, 128 pounds. While he could stand to lose a little in the midsection, he's not obese or anything, just very tall. Thyroid tested, healthy diet with no treats. He's just humongous. His chin is over the head of my other 70lb golden.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just like a kid, go potty, then you can go play.
I would set a schedule and take her out on a leash. Pee = play (reward)
She will catch on pretty quickly if she gets what is for her a high value reward.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts