Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boxer has been treated for chronic pancreatitis. She still has it, I think.

But new problem.

About four weeks ago, she had a sore front left paw and limped a bit. No swelling. It was gone in a day or so. It happened again three weeks ago. I assumed she stubbed it or something.

Eight days ago, the same paw swelled up and she couldn't walk on it. I took her to the vet. At the time, I forgot about the two limping incidents. The vet took xrays of her paw and her abdomen. Nothing broken and no abnormality on the paw xray. No signs of cancer in either xray. Heart looked great. Kidney numbers were great in March.

So, the vet assumed a bite or sting, and gave my boxer a benedryl shot and put her on Prednisone.

The swelling went down in a day or two, and she was walking on it in three or four.

Yesterday (or the evening prior), a couple of days after the front paw healed, she suddenly could not walk on her right rear side. It seems to be her hip, but I cannot be sure. It may be a tendon or joint too. I cannot tell.

I am at a loss. As a refresher, she is 12 years old.

What do you think this is? How should I proceed? Could it be related to anything else? Could it be due t her paw that she hurt? Could it suddenly be hip dysplasia?

I hate to take her to the vet if it may go away, as going to the vet is traumatic for her. And I doubt it is because anything is broken.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now that we have looked at her legs more closely, it is her hocks.

Yes, now both hocks appear swollen. She won't put weight on them.

I carry her outside and hold her up while she urinates.

Also, yesterday she only ate once and today not at all yet.

My thoughts are that she is nearing the end if she won't eat either.

I am puzzled as to why her hocks appear swollen suddenly. Maybe someone has some answer that can help.

The last time her paw got better. If in a day or so, the hocks don't improve, then I will call the vet.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
It sounds more along the lines of arthritis. Is she carrying more weight than she should be by chance? Since her blood work was normal, I would ask your vet for an anti-inflammatory such as metacam that you can give her once daily. I would also make sure she has plenty of soft surfaces to lay on and keep her off hard floors as it's hard on the joints.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Yeah I to would think arthritis and if she is seriously uncomfortable that could be why she is not eating??? You got to get her to back to the vet to find out what the deal is or find a different vet for a second opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
this used to happen to my boxer he would limp then it was hard for him to get up. so we took him to the vet and he recommended Omega-3 that has EPA and DHA this would be a inflammatory solution. Also recommended Glucosamine (MSM) for the joints
He has been tacking this for 3 months and he is all right no more discomfort or limping
We Use (ZPAW Vet line) witch was the one our vet recommended

hope he gets better !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts