Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm just new here and have a 8 week old boxer "zeppelin". We got him about a week ago and from day one he has hated his crate. I wanted to train him to get used to being in there and have never put him in there when he was bad, since I don't want him to think it's a "bad boy cage" so I have it open during the day and he never goes in untill it's time for bed and I put him in. Then he starts to cry and crying turns into barking and that turns into a lot of screaming. He will go crazy, and go for hours. He then falls asleep and a few hours later he will wake me so I go to let him go outside but it turns out he pooped and peed all over the cage and from going crazy did not even care that he has been playing in his own poop. That's the same story every night since I got him. He hates to be alone and I think he may have a huge problem. He's very good during the day. I let him out and he will pee or poop, and he only had an accident once or twice inside the house. So the only time we have a problem with him is at night time.. I know he's young but he's driving me crazy and I hope he gets better soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
880 Posts
How big is his cage?  Plus a new puppy like that wont be able to sleep through the entire night.

·
Registered
109 Posts
+1  

Their little pup bladders can't go that long.   I took Cuda out every 30 minutes for a few weeks and then every hour.   Before long she was making it thru the night.   I have never crated her so.........no advise from me on that.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Cage size is a big thing.  I would use a divider if the cage is too big.  We also use a blanket on top of the plastic cage liner incase there is an accident.  You can also try to remove his food/water after 7:30pm, this is what we do and we have no accidents at all.  Where is the cage located?  We keep Ajax in his cage next to the bed, this way he knows the other two boxers and my wife are around.  If hes in a different room he might be scared of something or seperation anxioty.  if seperate room try putting a clock and stuffed animal next to the cage so you basically trick your dog in thinking someone is there because the clock acts as a heartbeat.  You can also try placing a blanket over the top of his cage but leave the door exposed for ventilation. (might not be dark enough for him)

these are just suggestions that worked for me and my three boxers.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
is his crate cozy? it took us a while to get Maple's crate to the point where it was her preferred spot, but a cushion pad with some blankets or towels for extra cozyness helped us, and also during the day we kept it open and she started playing in there day one, we'd toss a toy in to get her going and she'd start to bring all her other toys in there, also you might try feeding him in there or giving him treats/snacks in there to teach him to associate good things with the crate.  good luck and keep us posted :) oh and he sure is a cutie.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Howdy from Texas and welcome! :D

There are lots of old posts on this subject, maybe you can do a search, cause they've got really good info.
We would leave the crate door open during the day too.  What helped was I put his bed in there.  I would also give treats in the crate.  I would toss a treat in and if he wanted it badly enough, he would go in to get it.  Then praise like crazy for going into the crate.  Eventually he started going in there on his own.  Then one day I couldn't find him.  He had gone into his crate on his own to nap! :D   This took a few weeks, like 5 or 6 weeks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I almost always never used  a crate. Right now, since Mike is chewing on plastic based products, I put him in the crate for brief intervals of up to 15 minutes. And to be honest, I do use it as a 'bad boy box' - when Mike chews on plastic, he gets jailed for fifteen or so minutes. I've been doing this for just 3 days now, but I can already see Mike's behavior changing.

Young dogs can seldom sleep the entire night. At night, it might be a better idea to have a long leash on him and allow him to sleep in the same room as you. When Mike was young, I used to put him just below the bed. His leash was long enough, but not long enough to climb onto the bed. The maximum he could do was lick my feet, and that was it. In a week, he stopped barking and yelling. I also put down small bits of food (dog biscuit) for him around the bed after he slept. So when he got up, he would start searching for the food and be engrossed. He wouldn't disturb me.

For me, a crate is a big no-no if the dog is going to be in it for even half an hour. For a young dog, it is very important that he be allowed to roam around the house. Though others might suggest otherwise, in my view, it is good for the dog and you to let it go without supervision for brief intervals. The dog's behavior even without you would be fine only if you trust him enough to leave him unsupervised. But of course, make sure that you have absolutely no objects that if chewed might harm the dog.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
One other thing to remember is to limit food and water before going to bed so that they are not going to bed with a full stomach and bladder.  They cant make it through the night because they cant hold it that long.  It does need to to a comfy place, but also does not need to be bigger then an area to sleep.  It takes time, but they will get use to the crate and one day like to or at least not mind to be in there....Fiona was about 5 months old before we stopped having accidents in the house and probably about 7 months old before we started leaving her out at night to roam free.  Even now if no one is home she goes in the crate....

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
When we first got Rocky, we bought a clock that ticked.  It's suppose to be like a heart beat to a puppy.  My friends told me about this.  I can't really tell you if it worked because Rocky never had problems being in his crate.  We also put a big heavy blanket over his crate at night just to muffle sounds (left the front uncovered).  Good luck and hope you find something that helps you and him!  He's a cutie!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You do need to start out slowly with the crate - going from zero to eight hours is a huge adjustment for a puppy. :)  One thing that will help is to feed him in his crate - that's a quick way to help him learn that the crate = Good Things.  You may need to start very small - first just getting him to put one foot in the crate on his own might be a major accomplishment (and cause for  celebration! ;)).  Then two feet, then his whole body, then shut the door (don't latch it) for one second, then five, then eight, then ten, etc., then latch the door for 30 seconds, then a minute, then two, then five, and so on.  Break it down into tiny steps and be sure to use super-yummy treats and lots of praise for every success he has (and set him up for success - you *want* to be treating him all the time here).  You can often get through several steps in one day, using lots of short sessions.  This article goes into more detail on the process:
http://www.pawsitivesolutions.net/puppy ... ining.html

At night, until he's more adjusted to the crate, you can gate him in the bedroom or a smaller, dog-proofed room like a bathroom.  As others have said, he may well need to go out a few times at night for a while.  Using the crate as a "time-out" area isn't really a bad thing, the difference between that and using the crate for "punishment" is simply the attitude you have when you put the dog in the crate - for a "time-out", you're just completely unemotional (or, sometimes you can use the crate as a "prize" for, say, barking at squirrels - every time the dog barks, you say "Oh! You won the prize!" like it's a fantastic thing, and put him in his crate; pretty soon the dog will decide that he doesn't want to win that particular prize, and will stop asking for it by barking at squirrels.  Obviously, consistency is vital for this one.).  Using the crate for "punishment" is more along the lines of "No! Bad dog! Get in your crate!" and grabbing him and 'tossing' him in there.  The crate itself doesn't change, but the attitude does; if the crate remains positive or neutral, the dog will not be as resistant to it.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
We found that putting  a hot water bottle in the crate really helped calm Sadie at first. Also make sure the crate isn't in the middle of a room because he could feel scared out in the open. In a corner or against a wall works best. Also like others have said, give him treats in there and tons of praise when he goes in. And leaving the door open so he can go in and out while you are there helps. Another one is make sure you don't give in and let him out when he is crying a lot, this will let him know that when he cries he gets to get out which will make him cry even more. And be sure not to use the crate as punishment, this will teach him that it's a negative place etc. We wrapped a blanket around the crate to make it feel like a den too. Good luck and stay consistent, he'll come around. He's such a cutie!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I don't crate Tango, but what we have done since the beginning is put his own bed right beside ours.  We then put a baby gate across the door, so he can't get out of the room.  He does amazingly well at 11 weeks old in making it through the night.  Usually about 3:00ish I'll start to hear him get restless, take him out and then we come back to bed.  He knows it's his bed and when mom puts the baby gate up, it's time to sleep.  He doesn't get up to play in the night or anything.  I also have a warm, wooly sweater that I only wear around the house, so I give it to him at night and you usually find him sleeping on it, so it probably makes him feel comfortable, with my smell and all ... the very first night he cried a couple of wimpers and wanted to get into bed but we said no.  Now, once in a blue moon he stands up, I guess to make sure we're still there, and then plops back down.

As others have suggested, I wouldn't feed him or give him water after a certain time.  This seems to help a lot.

I know that my Rottweiler never got used to his crate.  He hated every minute of it, every day of his life, which is why I never started it with Tango, I guess.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I have heard that you should put an old t-shirt or something with your smell on it in the crate with them.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Zora JUST started sleeping through the night and she is 6 months old. Sorry to say your only at the beginning...

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Hello!  Just wanted to say welcome to the forum!  Zeppelin is adorable!!!  You've gotten some great advice.  Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for advice...I quess he is too young to be alone for a couple hours and that's why he gets scared..

He really is a good puppy though, he listens and goes outside all the time, he just gets so scared to be left alone that he poops and pees almost right away.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Chesney did the same thing... isn't that the most awful noise you have ever heard? It's like something I have never heard before!! I tried to start her in a smaller cat kennel thing right beside my bed. She "screamed" as you put it, nonstop! We tried a regular crate... left it open, put treats in it... blah blah blah. I ended up giving it up.But this is the same dog that faked me out because it was cold when I would let her out to go pee. She would squat for a second and then come running back in. Half the time she ended up going right after I let her back in! Boxers are a very stubborn breed-atleast every single one I have had has been.  She eventually grew out of most of it, but never completely did shake the separation anxiety. I wish I had some secrets for you, but I apparently never found the answer myself. Just know you aren't the only one who had this problem, and it's not that you are doing anything wrong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts