Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is 3am, I am going to work, so not much time to use "search". Please forgive me if this is already posted elsewhere. Well, we have our pup, about 4 days too early. (I will post on that later today.) We got the little white guy with patches :)

1) He is going potty every 2 and 1/2 hours. Good first night. Wife slept on floor, by the crate, but don't let him out or talk to him, if he whines. He seems ok, if she is just "there". Should we wake him up to go on our every 2 1/2 hour schedule, or just let him sleep, and take him as soon as he wakes?

2) The pups NEVER had a collar on them :( He accepts a harness just fine, which we plan to use, but for regular potty's, especially at night, we would like to use his collar. He is fine with it being on, but once you put the leash on, he starts pulling back and trying to get out of it. He does not go nuts, but definitely tries to get it off. I would like to break him of this in a day or so. Suggestions?

3) Opinons on names? LOL:

Charlie
Tank
Rocky
Jax
Yoda (haha, my 3 year old is a star wars freak for now. He plays Lego star wars every day, sigh.... )

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I like Jax because it is different and suits that puppy IMO. To teach Mav not to hate the lead we left it on him for periods during the day and let him just walk around with it dragging so that he wansnt intimidated by it. When he was used to it then he wouldnt mind me walking him outside on it.

as for the pottying and crate mav was like 12 weeks when i got him so he slept the night and i would just bring him out when he woke up. I didnt wake him up to go but im not sure with a younger pup.

How did you end up picking the little white one? did he pick you?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Congrats on the new addition!!!    My two dont wear collars in the house, but have no problems when its on when we walk them.  He will geet used to it after a bit.  Its different and sure once he is settled he will be fine:)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Yeah, I liked the white one (well, I liked all of them, but that goes without question).
I like the name Jax, too - it's cute, just like him.
I think leaving the lead on him in the house is a good idea to get him used to it.
Good luck!
And yikes, you go to work this early or you were just up with the pup?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I like Jax too.  About the collar and leash, agree with leaving it on so he can get used to it.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I think Jax suits him...Start letting him drag the lead around the house..I'm going thru this with Flick as well...Oh he hated it when I first tried to use it, but we are working on it :) As far as the potty issue at nite, let him sleep, he'll let you know when he needs to go out, believe me

·
Registered
761 Posts
Our pup was way older when we got him and we kept taking him out on a schedule but we've run into the problem of him not knowing how to tell us when he needs to go out.  Just a thought as he gets older you may want to figure out a way for him to show you, we may end up trying the bell but we'll see.

BTW I was partial to the white but that's just cause I am biased.  They were all good looking pups and since you did your homework you've got a leg up on a lot of other new owners.

Jax is a cool name....  just don't let your son call him JarJar Binks.....  worst character in Star Wars ever.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Rocky and Tank are very common dog names..

I say either Jax or Charlie

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Congrats on the new addition! I like Jax.
Can't wait to see some pictures!

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
well, if your kid is a star wars freak, id go with Yoda, thats a very cute name  :D

Yay for whitey and congrats to you and your family for getting your new fur baby home :D  :D  :D

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I actually think the name Yoda is very cute for him. Plus it would make your son very happy. Good luck and i love the choice you made with the boxer you picked....i might be a little biased when it comes to the whities though....lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
I like Yoda.  :)

Lucy hated the collar and leash, too. I just let her wear the leash around the house and used it every time I took her out. She got used to it in about a day or so.

It is amazing how smart and adaptable they are at such a young age. (Lucy is just 8 weeks old today). She learned "sit" in about 5 minutes and has retained the info. Now I need to work on the crate more like you all are doing!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Yes I like Jax as well.

asfor the info on your questions, they were already answered with great advice.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all. We only had one accident today, not his fault. My wife was getting him ready to go out, and was getting her shoes on. When she turned back around, he had pee'd a little. She had already said, "Wanna go potty?!?!" a few times. I wonder if he already knows that key word and it got him "on his way".

We will let him drag the leash around for periods of time. Thanks for the tip.

Time to go play with him!

I still need to go buy a bigger crate. (We are using a smaller one, right now) Not sure to buy the 36 inch high or the 42 inch high. Since he is a male, I probably should get the bigger one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Congrats on the new pup.  I would recommend having him drag a leash around the house with his collar.  Spinx is nearly 7 months old and I still leave a collar and leash on at all times except at night or in the crate.  Mostly because it makes it easier to control him should he choose to chase a cat, or eat out of their litterbox.  It's also helpful because I do not have a fully fenced yard, so he needs to be on leash when we go potty.

In terms of the nighttime question, I would let him sleep as long as possible.  If he is sleeping, don't wake him up unless he wakes himself up.  Also, learn to tell the difference between "I want to get out of the crate" crying, and "I have to go potty" crying.  There is a subtle difference and it's hard to tell, but that should help you tremendously.  Good luck and be patient.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Congrats on your choice of puppies! You've got lots of good advice, just wanted to add I love the name Yoda..makes me laugh :lol: Yoda, that's exactly what Blitzens ears looked like as a baby (shhhh, one still does :wink: )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts