Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning.
We adopted a new pup on Monday, Dec. 18.  Tuesday he was neutered and we picked him up and brought him home.  He was fine the first couple of days, even got a clean bill of health from the vet.  But yesterday, he started acting very sluggish, he slept a lot, and had a lot of very soft poo.  He the slept all night and is still sleeping now.
So is it just all the excitement of new things finally catching up to him or could he actually be sick?
Thanks,
Zhanna :?:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
He's been thru some major changes, poor little guy.  This would be a normal bodily response to all that's happened to him.  I'm sure he is probably acting normal by now.  Have a merry Christmas and enjoy your new little guy.  Consider basic obedience classes for him when he gets a few months older.  They are wonderful dogs.

Nano

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
He's been thru some major changes, poor little guy.  This would be a normal bodily response to all that's happened to him.  I'm sure he is probably acting normal by now.  Have a merry Christmas and enjoy your new little guy.  Consider basic obedience classes for him when he gets a few months older.  They are wonderful dogs.

Nano

PS I would just observe and if something seems radically wrong take him in.  A young puppy cannot tolerate diaharrea for a long time.  Have you changed his food from what the breeder was feeding?  A spoonful of canned pumpkin can help regulate the stool if it is too soft or too hard.  You might could try that if things are not improving.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We got Little Henry from the Brazos Animal Shelter, so I don't know what he was eating before.  Probably not much because he is so skinny.  

Thanks for the response.  If he's not better by Monday, then I'll call the vet back.  Merry Christmas.

Z

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ahh, give that little guy a hug for me. It could very welll be a combination of everything that's going on..The surgery, new house, better food, etc...Changes in dog food really does effect some dogs & for them, it needs to be done very slowly. My Tia had a cast iron stomach, could eat anything, Samson isn't quite that good, so food changes are done a little more gradually.

I'm sure he's fine, but yes, I would check with your vet..Lucky Henry that he has found his forever home & just in time for Christmas...Happy Holidays..

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
There is a product out there called VetriScience Fast Balance GI. a natural product that is available without prescription.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You can also give white rice and hamburger or chicken to replace the dog food till his system settles down and then slowly reintroduce the regular food.  Make sure he keeps good and hydrated with water.  If not drinking the best give the broth mixed with water (as I mentioned in response to your coughing post) to make it more appealing.  Give him a big snuggle from me and my doggers.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i would get him checked out by a vet. I am sure there it has something to do with the changes, but i always say better safe than sorry. I know chloe was "off" for about 48 hours. She had normal bm's though. Let us know how the new pup is doing!!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tummy problems have turned out to be the least of our problems.  See the post "awful coughing" for the whole story.
Thanks,
Zhanna, Henry's mom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts