Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am expecting a new puppy this weekend, and have been told by the Breeder to have the pup sleep with me for the first few weeks, to get acclamated, and to gain her trust. Then after a few weeks, start her at sleeping in her crate. Does anyone have any opinions or advice on this? thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I personally would NOT let her sleep with me to start. If you do this then she will get used to sleeping with you, then when it does come time to crate train she will be a mess. She will cry and whimper for you, and she wont want to sleep by herself. The best things to do is what was suggested by lopezhk in another thread. see if you can get a sheep skin stuffed toy and leave it with the mom and her litter mates. put that in the kennel when you first get her so she will have a "friend" that smell like what she is used to. She will adjust. In the end it is your decision, but once a pup gets used to sleeping in a bed, they dont normally want to go to a kennel :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice, yeah I have done that with a pup before and it has led to years of trying to break the chain, and still is a major pain even today! I think I will have to crate train from day one as suggested, do not want another "bed hog" in the family!!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Andrea's right. Start as you mean to go on. Rules have to be clear from the start or else you send out mixed signals. Don't know if this is good info or not but i read you can also wrap a 'ticking clock' up in a blanket as the ticking "reminds" the dog of it's mother's heartbeat. Also a hot water bottle well wrapped can comfort apparentely. Don't know if it's true or not as i never needed to try it myself.

·
Registered
977 Posts
p.s. when i see a photo like that i come over all 'puppy broody' she's adorable!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you! we chose to get 3 from the same litter from a very reputable local breeder, mom got one, brother got one, and my sife and I the other, so it will be fun raising them all together!!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I got Charlie at 7 1/2 weeks and the first night he stayed in a crate.  He stays in a crate while we're at work.  At around 8-9 months or so he got to sleep on the bed and he will unless you tell him to go to his crate.  I would definitely start him out in the crate.  I came home the first day at lunch and he'd crapped all in crate and was shaking.  I cleaned him and the crate up, ate some lunch and gave him love and he's never messed in his crate since.  He doesn't whine if I make him sleep thru the night in his crate either.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Brilliant that you got three from the same litter. Lucky dogs! And lucky you! No dogs play so well together as boxers with boxers - they'll be so happy! I'm not from US - is a crate a cage you put your dog in? I got my dog used to me leaving a half hour then an hour then more. I left toys and chewy sticks and he never ate a single piece of furniture so it worked. Only damage ever was a broken lamp and a chewed corner of a rug -that's almost a record for a boxer i reakon!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
here in the the good ole' US of A we used a "crate" or "kennel" to keep the boxers from harming themselves when we arent at home. It also helps with house training and such since a dog wont go where it sleeps. if you look at the thread created by sampsons mom that is titled "latest pics of the kids" in the first pic you will see one of the different types of kennels offered over here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi - I got my Bailey at 7 weeks old and crate trainer her from day one. I put a hot water bottle wrapped in a doggy blanket and a tic toc clock in the crate. She whimpered abit the first night but I have not had a problem ever since.

Linda

·
Registered
107 Posts
I used to cover Saigey with something I have worn a day before so he'll think I am next to him and it worked although sometimes I call him to sleep next to me.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Tink slept in the utility room from day one.  The very first night she cried a bit and I had to physically restrain Emmet from going down to her, but ever since then she's been fine.  I actually brought her up to sleep with me the first night after Emmet went to Kosovo and she wouldn't settle at all, it was the worst night's sleep either of us ever had!  It was like she knew she's not really allowed upstairs and so couldn't relax!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I put my pups kennel in my bedroom at night next to the bed so they have the comfort of being close to me. It allows them to bond with you while all are sleeping and they seem to adapt very quickly to the crate and your sleeping schedule.  Mine are usually sleeping thru the night after a week or two with not even a bathroom call being necessary.  Only a few nights are spent complaining about being in the crate and if left to work it out themselves they are soon quiet.  Don't get them out when the start complaining! My adult dogs are also allowed to sleep in the bedroom but not in my bed.  No room in there for 2 full grown boxers!  

Good luck with the pup.

adorable............................

Nano

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum..And congrats, she looks sweet....I totally agree with what everyone else has told you....Use a crate, next to your bed if at all possible..Better bonding experience for both of you...The sheepskin toy idea is great, that way your pup has something of her littermates, then add a piece of your clothing too... :)  Most pups do well after a week, but the first few nites can be rough....Resist the temptation when she starts to cry to let her out, pay attention to her etc. That just gives her the idea that if she makes noise, you'll let her out..Wrong!!!!!

Hope we all have been some help and can't wait to hear the adventures once she comes home.....What's her name by the way?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone, we still have not chosen a name yet. We have so many ideas, but want to wait until we actually spend some time with her, something will just click then! I will keep everyone posted!! We get her Friday!!! 3 more days!!!

·
Registered
770 Posts
I would definitely use the crate from day 1. The first night that we had Daisy she was in her crate in the kitchen but she did whimper all night. So the next night we kept her in her crate in our bedroom, which worked well because she would actually wake us if she needed the toilet. Now Daisy's 2 years old though she sleeps on our bed with us and she sure is a bed hog! Our crate is still used though when Daisy is left alone because she developed quite a taste for our sofa and cushions!!
Good luck!

Heather

·
Registered
521 Posts
i would TOTALLY recommend crate training on day one.

our pup has been using it since we got him (hahaha, which was SUNDAY), and he sleeps nearly through the night already at 8 weeks (we still take him out at 4:00AM)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have two seven year old boxers (sisters from same litter) and they have been left to rule the house from day one, sleeping wherever they like.  Now that they are about 5stone+ each and take up most of our double bed between them, either my better half or I end up sometimes having to get out of our bed and go into the spare room - not a good situation!  

We are buying a little puppy - Kato - a male fawn coloured boxer and picking him up in three weeks time.  We have ordered a crate for him and intend to put him in this overnight from word go and attempt to have one well behaved little boxer pup.

We couldn't cope with three large boxers trying to get onto our bed at night.  Oh, I forgot to mention, we also frequently babysit for my mum's boxer Zak.  And guess what - he also likes the comfort of OUR BED!

I need to get some control back in our house, 'cause it is definitely a dogs house at the moment.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="Kezza\";p=\"9186":knnjw37u]I have two seven year old boxers (sisters from same litter) and they have been left to rule the house from day one, sleeping wherever they like.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts