Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Xena to the vet yesterday and the vet told me that my breeder just had another litter of puppies!! 2 fawn females and 2 brindle males. My question is....we had a really tough time with Xena's housebreaking but she was an "only child" so to speak. Since we now have her and shes 3 1/2 years old, will it be easier to train the new puppy, since she has a role model...like will Xena help to show her how an older dog should act?? Would a male be easier or a female?? Any and all help is appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Wow...well, this one is open to interpretation...everyone has a little bit different view...I have heard that if you have a female...get a male(just make sure they are fixed of course!LOL!)  as for role models...I would say yes...my older ones aren't even THAT much older(about 4 months, really, but that means they were 6 months old when we brought Pua home) and she has learned from them...in fact, my Mic(he's such a good boy!) held the pet door open for her and nudged her through it...even picked her up by the scruff a couple of times and demonstrated!ROTFLOL! It was hilarious...can't say Pua appreciated it...but, she caught on quick...we only have accidents now when we are watching and she's been out too long or has gotten off by herself(which is OUR fault) OR when she just doesn't wanna because it's too cold outside...both of which can be remedied by reverting back to more formal crate training! :)  Good luck...be sure to post puppy pics! :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Xena is fixed and im really considering the male...so then ill have 1 fawn female and 1 brindle male... a nice mix!! I'm going tomorrow morning to look at the pups...cant wait im sooo excited!! That is such a funny story about Mic and Pua, I was actually laughing! Theyre such cuties and Mic and Pua look alot alike. Indy's a cutie too!

·
Registered
441 Posts
We had a Maddy(1year old) female when we brought home Baxter and IMO it was helpful to have an already trained pup to teach Baxter....Every time she would sit, he would sit. If she went out, he went out(and then of course, he went outside plenty on his own) but for us it was a good mix! These days(its been a year now, since we brought him home), he definitely rules the house and has picked up on stuff that I am beginning to think Maddy never will :)  Not to mention it was a ton of fun and still is!!!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I do feel that the male/female combo is better, altho some people have had good sucess with same sex..It depends on the dogs...As far as helping with the training, well Samson was absolutely no help with Angel :lol: , but then again there is 8 yrs between them, so it's not quite the same. I do believe the pups do learn from their elders tho as I'm sure i will find out in the spring..God luck, how exciting a new puppy and a play friend for Xena, she'll like that

·
Registered
482 Posts
Oh I'm so excited for you! Yay a new Pup! I really don't have any feedback, I'm just happy for people to get new pups!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Congratulations on a new puppy!  

We have trained two puppies (at different times) with an older boxer.  The older ones have been at least 5-6 years old when we got the puppy and the puppy trained great with them.  Potty training went very quickly and they learned a lot from the older dog.  Our first boxer Calli was a pain in the butt to train....boy did she have a mind of her own but she also had no one to help train her.  Our next was a rescue who was already about 9-12 months when we got her and mostly potty trained but she learned alot from Calli and fit into our schedule very well.  

When Calli was about 9 and Berkeley was about 3 we got a puppy...another female.  Mostly because we really wanted Calli to help train it because she was such an amazing dog and we didn't know how much longer Calli would be around.   Calli gave us another 6 years so we had three females (which we now know is NOT usually recommended) for 6 years.  They were left alone in the house free roam with no problems, as soon as the youngest was able to be trusted.  So I think it depends on the personality of the dogs as to how they get along.  We now have an almost 7 year old female and an almost 2 year old male.  I actually think our females got along better than our male and female do now.  The main thing the females disagreed over were the UPS man and rawhides......now our male is more grumbly about different things but for the most part they get along great, sleep together, play, etc. just fine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We haven't seen the puppies yet but I think were going to go with the male. Were considering Balboa for his name (like rocky balboa...the famous boxer...haha). My mom suggested Rocky but I think that's far too common. I dono though....Xena and Balboa doesn't flow that well. She also suggested Zeus...Zeus and Xena which sounds great together but I think Zeus is common too. Any suggestions for a name? Something not too common that goes well with Xena....

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Sometimes it's easier to wait til you see the pup to decide...The name you pick may not fit...Rhonda always jokes about Angel, she is far from being an angel at times  :lol:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
As a proud mamma to 2 females..we are having our share of success with it. No problems between the girls and the absolutley love each other. there is a 2 year difference between them. Savannah...well she was no help what so ever to Reese with house breaking...i was hoping but nope!! :)

I also agree with willow-you should wait to see the pups personality before deciding a name for it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We saw the puppies....they're both gorgeous! The female is all fawn with just a tiny bit of flash. the male is a light brindle...he almost looks like a tiger. The male is that typical boxer baby...crazy, hyper, boisterous. The female was more calm. She played with her brother some but for the most part was calm. My mom thinks the male was too crazy and preferred the female. He was a big boy too....dad was about 80lbs. I think the male was just a typical boxer and the female might be a little too calm and not play with Xena all that much...plus I wanted a brindle this time! Its my mothers house so she does have a say...but do you guys think that if we get the female that shell always be that calm?? I love crazy boxers!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
How old are the pups?  

Honestly I don't think she'll stay that calm, not a boxer's nature.  Maggie was calm when we first got her, then she got really really hyper.  Now she's just perfect.  She knows when we say "enough" that it's time to stop and calm down.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hmmm a couple boy names....What about Argus, Zeke, Zorro, Titan.

We got Gunner when Zoie was almost 3. Zoie was a bear to train and Gunner was a breeze. Now we have Zora whos in between as far as training. Im not sure if boys are easier to train than girls or if Gunner was just a fast learner. Anyway, Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts