Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, we're new here and new to the Boxer breed.  We just got our baby girl this past Saturday...a cute little fawn with black mask and white on her chest and tips of her toes.  After being nameless for almost 4 days, we named her Ruby and now her training is becoming a bit easier.  We are crate training and the 1st two nights she slept in our bed.  The next two, I placed the crate on our bed and just kept repeating Ruby, Quiet everytime she'd start whining.  She would settle down in about 15 minutes.  Last night, she was on the floor by our bed and quieted down in about 10min.  Trips out during the day are another story.  She's barks and whines the entire time we're gone.  My poor neighbors!  Please tell me she'll adjust soon!  Also, I picked up a nylon collar for her and she hates it.  She hates the leash as well.  Would a leather collar be better for her?  How old will she need to be to take puppy training classes and do you guys think they're necessary???   I'm sure I'll visit this site often and am excited to read about everyone's babies!  Thanks!  Here's a couple pics of our little girl...she's 9wks old.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/ ... res475.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/ ... res478.jpg

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
First the whining will stop eventually. She is a little young to be home, usually it is done at 12 weeks. So most likely little ruby is missing her mom and litter mates. If you can talk to the person you got her from, ask if you give a towel to the person if they can lay it with the mother. that way when you put it in the kennel with ruby she will smell something familiar. Also a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel can help soothe her. The collar she doesnt like just because it is something new to her. I personally think nylon is the best way to go until fully grown. Leather can be a little pricey so i prefer to buy them after they are done growing. Training classes are good. i personally have never gone to one, but i have been throwing the idea around of taking my 6 month old girl Reese.

Lastly welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
newboxerbaby\";p=\"18164 said:
Trips out during the day are another story.  She's barks and whines the entire time we're gone.  My poor neighbors!  Please tell me she'll adjust soon!  
How long are you gone?  I'm a very new Boxer owner, but have read a ton about them over the past month and one of the first things I learned is that they're really not "outside" dogs.  Because of their short coats they can easily get overheated in the summer and overchilled in the winter.  Also, they're very much "people-oriented" dogs:  they really hate being away from their people for long periods of time.  

I'd suggest keeping her crated during the times you are out rather than leaving her in the yard.

AnnA

·
Registered
162 Posts
As far as the collar - have a lightweight nylon one that she only has on while you are watching her - pups have been known to hang themselves - NO COLLAR IN THE CRATE!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum, your Ruby is adorable...I'm not going to repeat what has been said, all very good tips by the way, so I'll touch on the one that hasn't been addressed. Any training or obedience classes need to wait til your pup has had all her shots. A trainer will want to see her shot records. But that doesn't mean you can't start basics at home! Work with her with her leash & collar to come to you, to sit, stay and make it fun! Lots of treats, tons of praise. Boxers are smart, let her use that brain.. :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome to Boxer Forums!  :D  Ruby is adorable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote="AnnArtisan\";p=\"18173":1egy32fg][quote="newboxerbaby\";p=\"18164":1egy32fg] Trips out during the day are another story.

·
Registered
172 Posts
[/quote]

She IS crated during the day if we go out.  What I meant was that when she's in the crate, she barks and whines SO loudly that my neighbors can hear her.  We leave most of the windows open, so everyone knows she's unhappy.  When we do go out, it's only for 1-2 hours tops.  I know she can't hold it for too much longer just yet.[/quote]

Ohhhhh!  I assumed if the neighbors could hear her, she must be outside!  I don't have a clue what to tell you in this case.  So far, our puppy has gone into his crate at night and for short periods during the day without complaint... UNTIL about an hour ago when he started whining, then yelping, then barking up a frenzy.  I didn't even know where he was - I'm so hearing-impaired I can't tell WHERE noises are coming from when I do hear them at all.  Turned out that my daughter and three of her friends, whom had just come home fifteen minutes earlier and been playing with Atticus in the yard and getting him all riled up, had then up and stuck him in his crate so they could run to the store.  No wonder he was ticked off!  

I just hope I didn't completely blow it by letting him out after he put up such a ruckus.  I went up to my daughter's room (where the crate is) and he instantly stopped yelping, but I waited a couple of minutes so that he hopefully wouldn't get the idea that all he has to do to be let out is make a lot of noise.  

AnnA

Edited to add:  Atticus and Ruby are practically identical!  I don't know how to post pics in posts yet, but have a few of him up in the photo gallery.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums. I would keep the nylon until she is grown so you dont have to buy more collars as some have already said. And whining will eventually stop. She is just a puppy and doesnt like being alone. She is adorable by the way

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Tyson is slowly getting used to his crate.  He sleeps in it all through the night without making a noise.  It's kinda scary, that is not what I was expecting.  He goes to bed at about 10pm and is up a little after 5am, so its really nice.  I always crate him while I am at work, and again, he is very good about it.  Today he is with me at work, I have a crate here as well right by my desk, and he has been laying silently for about 4 hours, either sleeping or watching the people around him.  He is so good about going in his crate.  I am just lucky I can bring him to work!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="newboxerbaby\";p=\"18164":16o8qt56]Hi everyone, we're new here and new to the Boxer breed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Michelle:  How old is Tyson?  Ruby was born May 19th, so I was just looking for some comparisons as far as ages are concerned.  Thanks!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Check out the Crate Training Stickey in the behavior section.  This should help you crate train your puppy.

In regards to training:

Most trainers, as I do, will expect some form of proof that your puppy has received all it's shots before they will alow it into a class training setting.  However, that doesn't mean you can't start training at home.  

As a trainer, I train my clients ho to train their dogs.  That's what trainers do.  I tell everyone on here that they can train their dogs on their own.  It's a very rewarding experience for all.  Owner training your dog builds trust and deepens the bond you have with your dog.

I post training topics with step-by-step instructions and Willow (samsonsmom) and Lisa (tootsie) and I run a Training Chat on Wednesday nights where I give specific instructions for training and answer questions.  I also start up impromptu training chats throughout the week, so check the chat room and join in if you like!  

Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy the site as much as we do!!!!  Have a blast with your puppy, Ruby, and remember....Keep training fun!!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
405 Posts
Suggestion regarding the whining during the day...fill a kong with peanut butter and freeze solid. That will keep her busy and silent for quite a while, preventing the anxiety. We do this everyday for ours and they LOVE it. Abby's anxiety with us leaving stopped the 2nd day we gave this to her. The kong keeps her busy for 30-40 minutes if completely solid and by the time she's done, I think she's forgotten that we exist, nevermind left the house or left the room! thehee...and she's tired then so she goes off to sleep.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
AbbyandBrady\";p=\"18372 said:
Suggestion regarding the whining during the day...fill a kong with peanut butter and freeze solid. That will keep her busy and silent for quite a while, preventing the anxiety. We do this everyday for ours and they LOVE it. Abby's anxiety with us leaving stopped the 2nd day we gave this to her. The kong keeps her busy for 30-40 minutes if completely solid and by the time she's done, I think she's forgotten that we exist, nevermind left the house or left the room! thehee...and she's tired then so she goes off to sleep.
it didnt matter what we gave jessie.  She was pissed that we were leaving and she let anyone that could hear her know it.

We have no problem with it now, she sleeps all day when were gone.  She doesnt even try to run out the door when we leave either.  She just sits and watches us.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
AbbyandBrady\";p=\"18397 said:
hhaaa...you know what she's thinking while she watches you leave....party time!!! hahah!
LOL!! youre probably right.  She gets to stay home all day while i sit at work...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts