Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,
u might remember me from last week, i had a little white boxer named chrome, she died on monday, her liver failed and her protein was dumping, and her whit blood cells were very very high... but on to a better note...

i have this little 9 week old pup, flashy fawn, way cute!!!! she is 9 weeks and 14 lbs, and she has huge FEET!!! lol
well heres some questions for u all,

* the top of her mouth is white, ive been told that she will be dumb, is that true? i dont think so!!! but just wondering, if it does then well just have to get her Hook'd on Fonex for puppy's... haha

* tips for potty training? when she messes in the house what should i do, i dont want to hit her, but she needs to know that i Mean "NO"...

*is it to early to start teaching tricks? like shake, sit, laydown, ETC...

thanks so much
tori & Steel

* o ya and how do u get Pic's on your acount??
thanks agian

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
At her age you are the one that needs to be trained not the puppy.  That means that as soon as she wakes from sleeping she will need to go out to potty.  Also she should go out within a few minutes after eating as well as once an hour while she is awake and playing.  If you catch her in the act, just pick her up and take her outside to where you want her to go, and then praise her when she does it.  If you don't see her and she has an accident - just clean it up and do nothing!!! Puppies don't have long memories and she won't know what you are upset about if you scold her.  It takes patience, consistency and time to train a puppy.  Also good to have on hand are lot of paper towels to absorb anything wet, and I have a little spray bottle of ammonia which I spray on any accident spots and then scrub them with a damp towel.  This removes any smell, stain and leaves no rings or discoloration on carpets.  It's cheap and a wonder product as far as I'm concerned.  Good luck with the potty training!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
DON'T CLEAN UP ACCIDENTS WITH AMMONIA!!! When urine breaks down, it breaks done into ammonium.  What that means is...if your pup has a pee accident and you "clean" it up with ammonia, it will STILL SMELL LIKE PEE!!!  A better cleaning agent to use is a vinegar and water solution.  Or you can go out and get "Nature's Miracle" (removes stains, smells, and deep down cleans).  "Nature's Miracle" is pretty cheap and totally worth the money!!!

Sry Kate, but using ammonia can actually increase the likelyhod of accidents and territorial marking due to the increased smell of ammonia in that area...

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I know that is the popular opinion that urine and ammonia are the same thing, but I don't believe that's true.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
OK.  Well first, I'm so sorry about losing your dog!  How horrible for you!

Kate is right about the going out to potty thing.  Once an hour, every hour during the day.  After eating and sleeping.  And for a while, you might want to get up in the middle of the night so you don't have to clean when you first wake up.  That's what we did with Henry and it seemed to work wonderfully well!  Even now at 13 months, we take him potty right before bed and first thing in the morning.

Lots of patience and lots of potty breaks!

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I've never heard if the top of a mouth is white, they will be dumb.  :roll: However, if the top of her mouth and her gums are pale and white that is a sign that your pup is anemic. I think a vet check is in order. Anytime you aquire a new puppy it should be brought in to get a check up anyway.
Regarding your last question, it is never too early to start training. I would concentrate on basic obedience training, sit, stay, down, come, before I started with "trick" training.
Good luck with your pup.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum.  I'm sorry about the loss of your pup!  I've never heard that about the color of the mouth, I don't know if you mean the roof of the inside of her mouth or her external upper lip?  Either way I'm sure it's not true!!!  Color has nothing to do with intelligence.  At 9 weeks old, be prepared for lots of accidents.  Stock up on paper towels and patience  :)   Your puppy wants your approval so simply saying a firm "no" should be sufficient enough if you catch her in an accident then simply pick her up and take her outside.  Take her outside very frequently and praise like crazy when she pottys.  Make sure you give her lots of time to potty, rushing will only result in an accident inside.  PLEASE don't ever, ever hit your puppy!!!  I don't have an opinion on training..I myself ask same question not too long ago.  Jaxon knows sit, down, crate, and will fetch and retrieve until you stop.  He's learning the come command right now and doing quite well at 4 months.  We are using the clicker training method.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I know that is the popular opinion that urine and ammonia are the same thing, but I don't believe that's true.  You wouldn't buy a bottle of urine to clean with, but you do clean with ammonia.
Correct, urine is not just ammonia.  Ammonia is excreted in the urine along with other compounds in mammals.  I think I first learned this in high school biology.  Have you ever owned a cat?  You know immediately that a cat has peed somewhere because of the profound odor of ammonia.  And, honestly, I don't recommend ammonia as a cleaning agent ever.  There are too many complications that can come from inhaling the fumes.  Suffocation and death come to mind.

So, if you are lazy like me and don't want to make something, just buy the nature's miracle.  It's almost odor free, cleans the stain and is cheap.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I just want to welcome you and tell you how sorry I am to hear about Chrome.  I don't know anything about the mouth or puppy stuff.  Just wanted to say Hi and can't wait to hear all about your new baby and see lots of pics.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
OK Dan and Liz -- I'll agree that Nature's Miracle is a good product and probably a better one to recommend to pet owners.  The ammonia works well too if used correctly.  One other thing - the friend that recommended this to me has 6 kids and raises St. Bernards lol.  I figured what was good to clean up after them can't be all bad. lol!! Happy Cleaning!!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
First of all, welcome to the site.  I'm also sorry to hear about Chrome.  I've just been through a trial with one of mine and I can't imagine the sorrow that you may be experiencing.  I would not use ammonia.  Urine converts over to ammonia if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of Chrome......

I hope that you are crate training your puppy.....It doesn't only teach your dog to be housebroken all the sonner, it also makes life much easier for you, as well as establishing boundaries immediately in your puppy. Regardless though there will be accidents. DO NOT hit your puppy. Take the advice of some of the others. When you catch her in the act, simply pick her up...say a stern NO and place her outside. Be sure to praise her everytime you see her go potty outside, and enforcing with a small treat isn't a bad idea either.

I am very big on obedience training, and believe every boxer not only benefits from it, but think it should be mandatory lol This will help your dog learn the basics, establishes your authroity and is a terrific bonding tool! It's wonderful, and not costly. 8 weeks of training at pet smart is only about 100.00. Not only does your pet get trained, but you do too!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Hello...welcome again to the site...I am SO sorry to hear of your loss...but, happy to hear you found a lovely little girl...we are owners of two boxer pups(with another on the way) and as far as housebreaking, I have learned (and heard repeatedly from trainers) that if the puppy has an accident, it is OUR fault...we are responsible for keeping track of the puppies needs...crate training saved our lives on this one(as we were training TWO at once!) and constant supervision when the puppy is out...there is no wisdom in allowing a small pup to roam freely...as even if they never have an accident, they WILL chew things and one of those could be deadly(electrical cords, etc.) so, if/when you feel guilty for putting the pup in her crate when you are otherwise occupied, remember you are protecting her just like you would a baby! No need for guilt, it's the responsible thing to do...there are MANY sources on crate training...read up and then go for it! She'll do great...boxers are naturally very clean animals...with consistancy and clear examples (ie, straight out to the potty spot as soon as she is out of the crate...and only out for about 20 minutes after successfully pottying outside) will work wonders!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hello everyone
thanks for the POTTY advice....
yes iam crate training, she has a nice black FUZZY pillow in there and toys, she has a nice FUZZY john deere blanket in my living room, and more and more toys!!!!
shes so spoiled already!!!!

and shes been to the vet she very very healthy.....

were doing good in mission potty!!!! i think she knows when iam talking to her, and when i say Steel u want Out side!!! she runss down stairs and to the door, and when i open the door she runs outside!!!

she is so cute!!!!!

i just love her, its nice having another in the house then just me....
thanks so much
TORI & STEEL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts